Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

landsalesman/TD15C advice

landsalesman ยท 2009-10-13 13:06

Hi, I'm new to the forum and dozers. i'm looking at a Dresser TD15C. I think it is a 74 or 78 model. Looks to be in good shape to me. I can buy it for around 18K. It seems almost to fast for me in low gear but I do not see any difference when trying to shift between high and low range. There is a long lever and a very short one on the right side. Do you know the function of these levers. Does anyone know if I am not doing something right to get it into low range. I'm sure ther is one. The shifter is marked 1,2 and 3,4 at the same positions in forward and reverse. I like the machine if I can just slow it down. New operator on the side of a mountain! Slow is fine with me.

Replies7
  1. #1D6c10K2009-10-13 15:08

    Never run one, but I seem to remember being told that on IH/Dresser machines that half way back on the steering clutches slowed the gearing. That way you could pull one clutch part way and still have the inside track pulling, but at lower speed....may not be right, but someone else will know for sure.

  2. #2alan627b2009-10-13 19:49

    Head over to the Redpower forum, register there, and look up Rocko 59 in the construction equipment section. Generally, the TD15C has a very good reputation, and the almost semi U shape of the IH blade will roll dirt easier than a D6C or D will. I don't think parts availablility is a big issue...yet. You are sure to get excellent advice there. Hope this helps. Alan627b http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php

  3. #3FWD2009-10-14 22:44

    On the right side of the machine as you sit on the seat there is a lever that comes up a foot or two and then it bends to the left and it should have a black knob. With the machine in neutral, you can move that lever forward or back. That is your high and low. When in low the power shift will have two positions, 1 and 3. Then when it's in high it will be 2 and 4. They are a good machine. I had a 73 with a good UC and I bought a 78 with a poor UC and made one good machine. I fixed anything that was loose or worn out. FWD

  4. #4landsalesman2009-10-15 13:37

    Thanks FWD and all the other guys. This is the shifter I was using but it seemed to not change the speed of the machine. I assume the forward position is the low range? Do I need a load on the machine? One poster mentioned it will be more evident in reverse. Is this the case with your machine? I just want to be sure I can get into that low gear for extra power and safety.

  5. #5RonG2009-10-15 15:12

    If you run the dozer in first gear/low range then change to first gear/high range you will have increased your ground speed by about half of what it would be if you changed from first gear/low range to second gear/low range.The high/low range lever splits the gear ratio difference that would be be gained from making a full gear change with the main transmission selector. I seemed to notice the difference in ground speed more in reverse because things happen "faster" in reverse because you have your neck cranked around trying to keep up with the current state of affairs.Most dozers are designed to back up faster than they go forward in any given gear as well. The concept of splitting gears to maintain an engine rpm/ground speed relationship is not new,trucks have been doing it for years,sometimes splitting each main gear four times.Ron G

  6. #6EZ TRBO2009-10-15 18:41

    One thing we had with one of our 15's is some slop in that lever, take up your floor board and see if you can move it around. Somtimes it gets out of the "slot" and is still in gear but when you move the lever it doesn't change anything. I can't remember if it only does that from the neutral position or not, I'll have to look on my own just for my own reference, but just somthing to try. Trbo

  7. #7FWD2009-10-16 14:14

    According to the spec sheet on TD15-C's: 1st and lo speed is 0-2.5 mph forward and 0-2.9mph in reverse. 1st and hi speed is 0-3.6mph forward and 0-4.2mph in reverse. I'd do what EZ Turbo says if you still can't tell the difference. As the others have said, you should be able to tell in reverse. FWD