Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Large stick bent metal- now 953c won’t run

Jim Johnson · 2022-08-27 21:57

Clearing trees on my farm- approx 8” branch got wedged under track and cab and bent metal on engine compartment (drivers side). I noticed lights on dash blinked and started to run funny. I shut machine off and inspected and didn’t see any cut wires, loose harnesses or any physical damage (other than sheet metal) Went to start back up and will only crank and not start 953c. 2zn00825 any suggestions?

Replies10
  1. #11466IH2022-08-27 22:27

    Have you checked circuit breakers in the cab? There is a pigtail a little further back that allows you to crank engine without firing injectors. There are also several large wires attached to the bottom of the cab in that neighborhood that supply power to the cab and there are a couple harness connections

  2. #2Jim Johnson2022-08-27 22:31

    I am going to go back tomorrow and inspect it more…it was late this afternoon and the sun was going down however I didn’t see anything obvious during my intial inspection I figured it has to be something electrical that was touched when the stick went in

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-08-30 00:40

    Probably not related but your track looks extra tight.

  4. #4Jim Johnson2022-08-30 10:23

    Found problem….the fuel line on back of fuel tank under the cab broke. i ordered new soft line and valve- however can I cut and flare the hard line (like you can brass)

  5. #5heymccall2022-08-30 12:14

    3W-7200 line @ $95Usd, is still available from Caterpillar. I dont see why you couldn't rubber hose, though.

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-08-30 12:19

    Do they sell pre-made fuel lines you can bend yourself like brake lines? I guess the fittings could be a problem though. Did the stick damage the fuel line or it was just a coincidence?

  7. #7Jim Johnson2022-08-30 14:59

    The stick did all the damage….it broke the fuel line on the one side of the valve….the hard line on the other side of the line is cracked from the bending - that’s the part I hope I can cut,flare and repair

  8. #8Jim Johnson2022-08-30 15:04

    Thank you….the reason I hope I can repair current line is the ‘other end’ of the line is in a terrible spot to reach. Would be nice if I can cut and repair the top of the line

  9. #91466IH2022-08-30 15:18

    I have repaired many of those lines. You are probably better off just using brake line and double flares

  10. #10heymccall2022-08-31 11:17