Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Largest Cab

Peter B Morgan · 2019-05-31 18:35

I am planning on buying a brand new, or nearly new full sized excavator. I am thinking something like a 200 series machine. I know it is crazy, and yes as I age I get even more crazy, but I like to bring my dog. I can do it in some equipment, but not my current Komatsu pc150 LC6. Does anyone know which models and makes have the largest Cab? Are any capable of giving my best friend a seat? Advice much appreciated

Replies24
  1. #1steve waldner2019-05-31 19:38

    Get a komatsu ,lots room behind seat where one could sit.‍♂️

  2. #2Peter B Morgan2019-05-31 19:46

    Ok, I appreciate it! I will Go look.

  3. #3CaseFan132019-05-31 20:31

    I’m 6’4” and with the seat all the way back in my Case CX210C I can barely reach the pedals. I would imagine there’s room for a small/medium sized dog

  4. #4Peter B Morgan2019-05-31 22:50

    Thanks I will put case on my list of must see.

  5. #5John C.2019-05-31 22:51

    There isn't a whole lot of difference in any of them. The Komatsu line likes to use the same shell for all their excavator cabs.

  6. #6Peter B Morgan2019-05-31 22:54

    That is why I asked. I have not seen a lot of machines or different brands. I have several large tractors that have lots of room. But excavators seem to have limited space. It is probably the single most important feature to me, but may simply be unachievable...

  7. #7CM19952019-05-31 22:56

    My 325FL has a big cab. I've taken my 4 legged buddy in it and other E and F series Cat cabs. She's a 50 lb mutt and there's enough room to work as long as she sits still - that's the wild card.

  8. #8Peter B Morgan2019-05-31 23:22

    My Diesel does pretty good, he seems to need a break a out as often as I do. The 325 is a bit larger than what I want, but if that is what it takes.... Worst scenario is opting for one with some hours on it. But then I have not even priced a large Cat. Thanks

  9. #9CM19952019-06-01 10:04

    This was a 320EL I rented in a dirt pit. Lucy is around 50lbs.

  10. #10Peter B Morgan2019-06-01 10:59

    Nice. She looks pretty calm. LAB? Looks pretty roomy. But she has to be still! Only a dog. Labs are so calm.and good friends

  11. #11CM19952019-06-01 11:13

    Umm actually I'm not sure what she is. She was a rescue we adopted from a foster. We think some lab, hound, mountain dog?

  12. #12DB22019-06-01 11:20

    She is beautiful!

  13. #13Peter B Morgan2019-06-02 15:02

    Looking at her face, looks like maybe some money, possibly Rotweiler. Looking at her harness, the tags, and her little belly. She is spoiled a bit and obviously in a great home. In life what matters most is not who you are when you were born, but who your parents are. Same holds true for dogs! This is my crew, with one obvious new addition.

  14. #14Bls repair2019-06-02 16:28

    Here’s mine he’s a Heinz. (57 varieties )

  15. #15CM19952019-06-02 17:04

    Thank you. Somehow she knows she's adorable and uses it to her advantage as she's a little sneaky. Typical female.. I think there is some rottie in her as well. My last dog Sugar (RIP) was a rottie and rat terrier - yep you read that right a rottie and a rat terrier. She was an awesome dog. Lucy has big shoes to fill and she's filling them in her on way. There are many pics of Sugar here on HEF buried amongst the threads. Yeah she's a little fat and has a custom bedazzled laser etched tag with my wife and I's phone numbers on them. Pet Smart has a machine that will make them while you wait. He has some coloring similar to Lucy with the white on the chest. Heinz dogs are the best!

  16. #16Bls repair2019-06-02 18:28

    Is she a digger

  17. #17CM19952019-06-02 19:04

    Yes on occasion. She has a hole dug out in the garden she likes to lay in.

  18. #18digger242j2019-06-02 19:33

    Dang. I know there's a joke to be made in there somewhere about an operator with a seeing eye dog, but I just can't seem to come up with it...

  19. #19John C.2019-06-02 20:16

    And I thought rat terrier and a rottweiler mix conjured up some pretty funny images.

  20. #20CM19952019-06-02 20:26

    This was Sugar - one hell of a dog. She was getting treated for cancer at Auburn University's vet school at the time, she took life in stride, whatever it threw at her.

  21. #21Skeans12019-06-04 00:25

    Have you considered a road builder option with a forestery cab? Don’t the forestry cabs have a lot more room then the standard excavator cabs?

  22. #22John C.2019-06-04 10:06

    What you are speaking of as a forestry cab is generally known as a rear entry cab and it adds tens of thousands of dollars to the initial price of the machine. They are usually only installed on machines with a four foot cab riser and 30 ton machines and up. They came about because someone perceived that it was a safety hazard for any person to have to climb a ladder to get into the cab. In my early research into the hazards of logging shovels, I had never found one instance of anyone falling off the cab side of a logging shovel. Go figure?

  23. #23Skeans12019-06-04 12:47

    They do side entry forestry cabs for Oregon for processor or road builder applications, I know Deere has them as a factory install because of Oregon and BC.

  24. #24John C.2019-06-04 16:18

    The forestry cabs that are side entry for both Cat and Deere, that I have done inspections on, were the same size as the excavator cabs. They were EROPS and FOPS cabs for forestry. All that I have inspected had a sloped roofs for debris to fall off of onto the house. The factory install puts the extra cost of the cabs into the base price of the machine. Somewhere I have a photo of a Cat that went several hundred feet cartwheeling down a hill that the operator was able to walk away from once he figured out that the bells he was hearing wasn't a pinball machine in tilt mode. If he had had his seat belt on he probably wouldn't have had to go to the hospital at all to be checked out. If all you saw of the machine when it was hauled to the dealer's lot was the cab, you wouldn't have thought it had been in an accident. The fact that the boom was torn off and the hydraulic tubing was hanging off the front of the machine made me wonder how much blood was in the cab. Turns out none, to everyones relief.