Just for a little history ; of the Largest Caterpillar Pipelayers , or Sidebooms. 1. Cat 594 Built 1966-'75, 385 hp, 200K lift capacity 2. Cat 594H , 1975-'86, 410 hp, 200K lift cap. 3. Cat 589, 1986-'06, 420 hp, 230K lift cap. 4. Cat 591, 1989 (one only), 520 hp, 350K lift cap. 5. Cat 587R, 2006-'08, 351 hp, 202K lift cap. 6. Cat 587T, 2006-'08, 366 hp, 202K lift cap. And here's a picture of a Cat 587T sideboom in NC Machinery's yard. Headed for Prudhoe Bay after some revisions, like a cab, engine covers,etc.
Sidebooms are nice machines! but i have never seen one here in Finland, and i'm quite shure there aren't any sidebooms here, the pipelines here in finland is the same size as the straw's at mcdonalds in the states
That's some heavy lifting....brings up a something I've wonderd about. Why don't you see any roll bars on pipelayers? None I've seen have them...even newer high-track machines.
side booms Because they only have operators on em not drivers Seriously, a very good question. I have seen booms on thier bonnets and I have seen booms on thier side in the ditch with the pipe, but I have never seen one rolled. Thinking about it logically, the machine cannot roll to the left due to the boom, it will go a long way but not over. If a machine went over to the right with the weights out I find it hard to believe the machine would roll. Even with the weights in I find it hard to believe a machine could roll and even if it did the weights being higher than the operators seat would act as a roll bar :IMO Heres a couple of shots of 583's to show the height of the weights. Yes, its me in 79
Thanks for that Northart, I wondered how the numbering went with the high drives :thumbsup Do you know if the hyd boom came in with the high drive or was it a later addition ?
Atlas Rob Where were the pictures of the booms taken at rob? If you don't mind me asking. A friend of mine just come back from running the Bending in New York and said the High Tracks were hard to keep the nose on the ground on the steep ground. Anyone else heard of that?
It was in Algeria ( North Africa ) 1979-82. Nacap ( Dutch outfit ) Did 510 Km of 48" from the gas field at Hassi-R-Mel to Arzew on the Med. Plus a lot of smaller pipe from the numerous well heads to the pumping stations. I have no experience of the high drives so any feedback is intresting.
It looked like the Mid East It looked like the Mid East is why I was asking. My dad worked in Iran/Iraq a lot during the war about that time. That was the good thing about Brown & Root, they didn't pick sides I guess. :drinkup I was born in Wales in 1969, some kind of job was going on there at the time.
They can roll over, I've never seen it, thank God. Many years ago I did see pictures of one that rolled down a steep slope. The boom, the weights, seat, fuel tank and everything came off. They can turn over backwards like they are doing a wheelie, and go end over end.
Small world, and this internet thing is making it smaller by the minute Another big pipeline went in last year from the new LNG dock at Milford Haven across South Wales to connect into the main grid near the Severn I believe.
I dont doubt that they can and have, what it was really about was why they didnt have a roll bar fitted. I dont know the true answer and was more thinking out aloud than anything else. If the roll was bad enough to loose everything that was previously securely attached I dont suppose a roll bar would have mattered a toss anyway, :drinkup
And They Walked Away A guy I worked with turned a 583 over in a Peet Bog. He was High Balling it down a set of 16' mats in reverse and didn't see where they narrowed down to 12'. The funny thing was they just filled it up with fuel. I don't know who filled there pants up more, my buddy that was on it or the Enviromental Inspector.
What machine is the 587t built from? 591?
Ancestory ? What is the ancestory ? Hard to say. for sure not the 591, as that was a one of a kind machine . Looking at the dozer specs , the D8T-LGP and the D9T are the closest in spec. The D8T (310 hp)and the 587T (366 hp) both have the C-15 engine but at different hp. The D9T has the C-18 @ 410 hp The ground contact area of the of the D8T-LGP is 9576 sq". The ground contact area of the 587 is 9613 sq". I'm sure someone knows more . :drinkup
I was at a Richie Bros auction a year or so ago...they had several pipe layers that sold. Two or three looked to be D9 oval track size machines (don't know the model) They're definitely huge...was guessing the counterweight alone outweighed my D6c.
The 587's are based on D-8R and D-8T, and it looks like the HP is bumped up a little. My D-8T is 310 rated horsepower, but 355 gross, of flywheel horsepower, before the accessories are added. I think the 589 is based on a D-9L, but I may need educated. Never new of the 591 till now. I will have to dig out some of my Cat performace books to see about it. Thanks for the info and pictures Northart
Cat 589/591 sidebooms Jerry, The 589 is based on the D9N & the 591 was on the D9L. I have never even seen a picture of a 591 with only one being built now I know why. Only 591 I have seen is a diecast model! Dug
Dug Thanks for clearing that up.
591 boom The Cat 591 Sideboom is listed in the CPH #19. Page 347.:usa
Cat 594 and 589 sidebooms Here's a couple pictures of the Cat 594 and 589 sidebooms. Had the pictures for a long time,on the computer, scenes are from Europe, I'm sure. 3rd one, I think was from Turkey ??? The last one by "Quad", dunno .
wow I have worked pipeline for most of my adult life and I have never seen anything like that pipe carrier rig.We were shut down for 3 weeks in the fall because the stringing trucks couldnt get through. I doubt this machine would have helped but it would have been fun to watch.
Pipe Carriers There's some other pipecarriers maybe you have seen. The Challenger with Hiab knuckleboom. http://www.sabreinternational.com/equipment/pc30.aspx
If you study the spec-sheets of Cat you can reed this out of it. 500 - Pipelayer 9- Dozer 1- undercarriage 591 : D9L- D10 589 : D8L - D9L 578 : D7H -D8L The new one's I think are more and more machines of there one, but in the 583R and 583T I see the D8R and D8T , special when you look at the engine covers. The 587R and T looks for me more as the D9R and T. Here a pic from the 591. So far as I now there where two of them but both are scraped. If someone went to the Conexpo "81 and take pics from it please post them here I building a model in 1:50 scale from it and need more information.
Caterpillar Pipe Carrier Here's another ;a modern one; by worldwidemachinery.com:usa http://webinfo.wwmach.com/Documents/PDFBrochures/SPC-D80.pdf
Quad's Picture Hello Quad, That's your picture I posted on the Cat pipe carrier. Do you have any info on it? The Cat 591 Pipelayer serial number was 98Y00277 made 1989. At least that is the listing for it . I thought I had a picture of it at the Conexpo. Searched all over and could not find it.
The 591 was build in 1981 it is not ?
How NOT to upright a sideboom... http://break.com/index/how-to-make-a-bad-problem-worse.html CS
591 build date ? Hello Quad, My book , 2009 Serial Number Guide 41st edtion. Published by Equipment Watch, Says 1989, for the Cat 591 Pipelayer. The Con-expo shows in Las Vegas started in 1981. I am sure I saw an internet picture of the 591, at the Conexpo show. I cannot find it.
weight control Do the weights on those high drives swing out on what looks like an upright hinge at the back edge. First of all I thought those 4 carrying the pipe had no weights on them, then looking at the pic of QuADs it looks like they are shaped over the track and pivot out. See somebody nicked the set off the 594 :Banghead
Cat 591 Pipelayer If the serial number prefix is 98Y, that makes sence, as the D9L had a 14Y prefix. The D9L was discontinued in 1987, so would't something in 1989 been based are a D10N? The D10N was prefix 2YD. If the D10N had 520HP & the 591 had 520HP then this machine would based in the D110N. 350000 lbs capacity is increadable, you could easly carry another complete D9 with this machine.
Pipelayer undercarriages Hello Quad, First time I have seen a photo of The 591, awsome looking machine. The grille and headlights look similar to D9L. Where did you find this photo? It appears that on the high drive machines, the machine uses 1 size larger undercarriage. 578= D7/D8 track. 589 = D8/D9 track 591= D9/D10 track I love the fact that these machines still have the old style steering levers through the floorboards (Like a TD25) Dug
Cat pipelayers w/acelerator pedel/vs decelerator These are the only track machines that I know of that had the throtle controled by an acelerator. In about 1989/1990 Kiewit Pacific Co. did a large diameter water pipe line in San Marcos Ca. They had two New 589's setting what I believe was about 15 miles of 96" RCP pipe over quite a few steep hills. One hill on "Paint Mountain" had to be about 1 to 1 slope, you could not even walk up it! & they had a rookie on the machine. The regular operator was off. The rookie flipped the machine straight over backwards by pushing the throttle all the way. The only thing that saved him, was that he was carrying a large ballast box that kept the machine from landing completly flat on the hood. I use the term rookie lighty as he may have been a good dozer operator,but had never been on a pipelayer. I have some snapshots of the machine, not the rollover though. I'll post them someday if I ever figure out to scan them. I never understood why these machine don't have some sort of roll protection? Could it be the winch/cable postion? Dug
The 591 did indeed make it,s debut at Conexpo 81. I have just dug out my bound volume of Dealer magazines and it is on the cover. It,s interesting to see on the pic Ad posted the idler caps are fully covered by the track frames, exactly how the original D10,s were. The pic on the front cover of the mag i have shows exposed idler caps, ie the track frames have been cut to allow access, maybe there is your 1st and 2nd machine. It states in the article it is D10 sized but it is definently D9L based. If you look at Quads pic it appears to have 5 sets of bogies and also the D9L debuted at this show. I,m not a pipelayer guy by a long shot but will get my first diecast when the 572C from Norscot eventually gets here.
Duc, I found the photo of the 591 in my archive. Got it from a sales man, years ago.
Is this the pipelayer everyone is talking about?
Roll bars !! On booms The 572R's and the 587T's down here in the south have roll over protection above the operators head yet out of the boom line. I see these guys put a half sheet of plywood on top there for sun shade.. You know the 587 & 589 had hyd. cylinders to raise & lower the boom. All else uses a cable for the boom. I've ran a 3T7 & a TD18 International on the pipeline now I own 10 cleveland trencher and cut trench for contractors.. Seen any old wheel trenchers laying out in a field???? Let me know PLEASE...........
I think 992G hit the jackpot. The pic I have from the back of the 591 was taking at Conexpo 81. Looks the same to me.
One more pic from the 591 Spec-sheet.
Cat 591
Cat 591 Specs Here's some interesting specs on the Cat 591 sideboom. Found in the Caterpillar Performance Handbook, (CPH) It was listed in 1981,'82 @ 460 hp Then listed in 1986,'87,'88 @ 520 hp. Strange it is not even listed in the Caterpillar Serial/Product Identification Number Index, (SEBF9451-28), printed in 2-02, which goes way back to the Holt Tractors.
Well we may just have pics of the 2 built here. You can see on the Conexpo pic and also the spec sheet pic the undercarriage is cut to allow access to the idler cap bolts, check 992G,s pic and see how they are not, maybe a small difference and the 2 supposed machines built.
The pic I took was looking into Cat's yard in Peoria. The year was late 1989. When I started reading this post, I had to start looking through my 35mm print's. As it goes it was one of the last pic's I found. I wish I had more of this one, but that was it. I remember seeing this machine and it was big. We thought at the time it was based off a D11 due to it's size. The two machines on it's side were new 10N's if I remeber correctly. Then the one machine that is the second from it's left was another pipelayer.
Cat 591 specs Some more interesting specs. The Cat D9L-14Y Series had a 3412 engine @ 460 hp. Built from 1981-'98 The Cat D10N-2YD Series had a 3412 engine @ 520 hp. Built 1987-'93 The Cat D11N, 1st came out in 1993 with a 3508 engine,@770 hp. The Original Cat D10 came out in 1977-'86 with a D348 engine at 700 hp.
Theory My theory is that the Cat 591 was based on the Original Cat D10 and had 2 versions. One with the Cat 3412 engine rated at 460 hp. And a second with the Cat 3412 engine rated at 520 hp. Just from studying the data. :beatsme :usa Does that sound right ?
Definently D9L based, the easiest way to tell is the transmission is mounted the same as a D9L with the majority of it and the bevel gear inside the frame/case. D10 had the trans external and hanging out the back, also the 2 filter canisters are D9L and the D10 did not have this. The track frames are definently D10 84W series with an extra set of bogies and i bet the guy who modifies D11,s down heer with V12 engines would like to get himself a set of them!
All of our 589s have cable booms on them. The only hydraulic boom I have seen is on our 572. Brian
That would explain it,.............. the only other place I ever seen so much C@t yellow is at a Richies auction.
Side Booms AtlasRob there is a Co near me that has a fair heap of pipe layers, there is way over 200 D8K based units, about 65 D9H based booms and a great ruck of high drive + Komatsu bangers, plus all the usual other bits and pieces that pass through, there is also a 591 about somewhere belonging to the man, these tractors get sent all over the World to perform, just thought I would mention that I worked for a pipe line Co for a good bit in the 70's and the hours I worked in a week was un-true, the Cleveland trenchers were great trenchers, simple light and easy to keep working, I loved the work and the money was off the scale. tctractors
Thanks tc, I saw in another post pics of a 583 and also a photo of the label on the side of it or another piece, and it was Warwickshire, UK. I was :jawdrop to find companies in UK sending pipeline gear out to the people that invented pipelines then I remembered that the booms and blades we had in Algeria in 79 were supplied from a company in the midlands. I am suprised to hear how many booms there are near you, but I suppose if the man has the contacts then its only a boat ride away,
Great pics
Pipe kit. AtlasRob, I think the C'o have about 350 Side Booms, near all their haulage is done by Heanor Heavy Haulage, they also have loads of pipe stringing tractors, with the rubber tracks, (CAT 65/75/85's) tctractors
WOW! thats some plant yard, just got home from a trip up country doing the relations thing, :drinkup As you mention Heanor's I put a short vid on yu tub of them pulling out of services on M27 for Southampton with a Terex TR100 dumptruck. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S_aIEwreIAM for those with dial up there will be picts shortly in dumptrucks. :drinkup
I wonder if they don't have ROPs for two reasons. 1. are they classified as cranes instead of earthmovers? 2. there might not be a strong enough structure in place hold the entire weight of the machine, counter weights included, or the structure required to hold that weight would be to cumbersome and would likely be removed by the customer anyway if it wasn't required.
Hi guys : We are looking for d8k & d9h with open canopy spacer plat grginal pant [email protected]
You should load one on a Lowboy.I loaded a straight high track dozer with no blade.It does seem to want to flip over back wards.As for the rollover protection.A company in Houston had to install them to work on one pipeline. Guess the safety dept.thought all machines had to have them.
I worked on a pipeline where Okeama {not sure a spelling} in the 90s were still using the old cat side booms with winches standard shift trannys and pony motor.
Okemah out of Oklahoma?
Carter I was lead (led?) to believe the reason they don't have R.O.P.S. is they are considered cranes by OSHA. I was also told that these companies CANNOT legally put ROPS on them unless they are made that way from the manuf. Reason for this is, you cannot alter/modify existing equipment manufactured. They have a stout under carriage, but they will flip all the way over. That boom'll snap in a heartbeat!! Pretty stupid oper if he lets his tractor flip on him tho. There is a difference from turning over and flippin, btw. nmboomhand
The biggest one we had here was a 594h
Se dan vueltas sin duda en pendientes muy empinadas para subirlos de frentes los ginchan con bulldozer sino en el ineno de subir solos hace mucha fuerza la rueda cabrilla y hace k se empiecen a amacar y se dan vuelas con pluma y todo
They have a real problem there, the side boom looks ok, the trailer might have a new twist thou.
Thanks for all the pics. I grew up as a pipeline brat and really enjoy seeing these machines.
Was working on a 594H this week, no power to the drums. The spline on the drive gear powering the PTO case sheared off due to stress cracks. The gear is discontinued, this is bad news for all the old machined that have been converted to wet decks. Later Bob
trailer was fine, they pulled it over and finished the trip
Yair . . . rare ss . What happened that it fell over in the first place? Cheers
If you look at the last pic the camber of the corner is pretty sharp, from what i heard if he took abit more speed around the bend it may have been ok (side boom tractor weight was on the right [or wrong] side too) trouble with the Drake 4x8 Swingwing and 2x8 dolly compared to their 4x4 full widener and 2x4 dolly is the larger trailer is less stable than the smaller due to the oscilation of the axles (as seen in the pic of the dolly) the poor Mack got the worse end of the stick the chassis looked like what grows up in far Nth Qld
Not very often you hear "go faster in your heavy haul rig so you dont roll"!
bob/ont if you need that shaft check with jeff huff at huff equipment {585-229-5186** he is a sideboom dismantler i do business with. the the R and T model sidebooms do have rops. we pull them off to move them for height reasons. therefore when you see a pic of them parked in a yard the rops are laying with the boom and the weights. as far as the gent that said they cant roll to the boom side i guarantee that they can. i have had to replace/rebuild a many a boom where the tractor rolled to the boom side and wrapped the boom over the top of the tractor. for the gent that said the high tracks want to stand up on slopes, tell your mechanic to call cat and get the new front and rear idler mounts. they move the idlers out front and rear to give the machine more end to end stability. my two cents gents.