Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Laser grader attachment

Hysert ยท 2020-06-06 20:57

Looking for some opinions on laser graders? Will be running on a Kubota SVL95... I'm currently looking at the top 3 IMO... levelbest, bobcat grader and bobcat box blade grader... any input from real world users would be great...

Replies25
  1. #1KSSS2020-06-07 00:05

    I would look at Smart Grade out of NZ. Found them at Conexpo. They sell in the USA with support. Come to find out several have been sold a couple hours from my location. Much better built and smarter than Level Best. It will be my next laser grader attachment. I have the BC grader attachment and it is excellent, but I don't have it lasered up, but I really like the attachment.

  2. #2Hysert2020-06-07 09:20

    KSSS cant seem to find smart grade? I'm leaning towards the BC grader as its duel slope compatible, and LEvelbest pricing is out to lunch!! and also gonna use earthworks go... I'm hoping with earthworks go I wont need to deal with skidsteer solutions super controllers, really dont want a extra set of joysticks in the cab... will be contacting BC Monday

  3. #3CM19952020-06-07 10:11

    I run a Cat BB124 on our 2 279D's and love it. It's set up to run single and dual plane although we mostly use it for leveling building pads. Set up the laser receivers on the masts, plug in the wires and controller and hit auto. It has made fine grading a pleasure instead of a time consuming PITA.

  4. #4KSSS2020-06-07 11:56

    My bad, Sharpgrade.com

  5. #5KSSS2020-06-07 12:32

    You may have some issues making the BC compatible with Kubota. I am not sure that Kubota has enough electric switch capacity to run it without add on switches or controls. I am sure it is doable, but likely wont be a simple plug and play set up.

  6. #6Hysert2020-06-07 15:51

    The sharp box looks comparable to the others out there, email sent, thx for the reference!! CC1995 that cat grader is a levelbest design I believe? Nice it works great... On the BC grader I believe the main communication issue with Kubota and others is the side shift option? Hence needing the Skidsteer solutions super controller... regardless on side shift the BC grader will require a 7 to 14 splitter plug from what I've researched, which is available...

  7. #7monster762020-06-07 22:23

    I am in the same boat, but it looks like going with the laser grade system by Davids Dozer, the man is a eccentric but his system is rock solid after seeing it first hand. biggest thing for me was being able grade and not have the tires out in front plus the fact I live only 20 min from his location. I'm going to be putting this on my 333g deere I plan on doing a nice in-depth review once I have it on my machine when I went to see him about the unit he let my father and I go into his shop, small location but had allot going in there, he was setting up a new Wacker Nueson machine with his system and lieca laser. he didn't hesitate to show me on his personal deere how the install would work on my machine and what I would get as well letting sit in the cab and run the controls. and since my 5 acres are so close he brought over his machine so I could see how the system would work first hand.

  8. #8KSSS2020-06-08 00:37

    I would be interested to hear what the thoughts are on that 50 sized WN. The spec sheet is pretty impressive.

  9. #9monster762020-06-08 21:00

    not sure but it looks stout

  10. #10DoyleX2020-06-10 07:50

    https://www.skidsteergenius.com/ problems solved

  11. #11grandpa2020-06-11 06:52

    I've had about the same setup as CM1995 has in the video above. I bought it all new as a unit from my Cat dealer. Like CM said they put the pleasure into final grading but.......... The cement guys all want you doing their grading. Then one day they get so used to you having it perfect they lay their form boards and stakes out and redi mix trucks lined up waiting for you. Then it happens, it goes down. Now ***..... talk about pressure. I still won't be without one, but I make the cement guy schedule a day late or I don't grade for them. I'm too old for that sh*t.

  12. #12Hysert2020-06-12 21:09

    I have pricing on a sharpgrade box $50k plus up here, levelbest 43k, bobcat to much BS.... and waiting on landpride/kubota one? No super controllers or 7 to 14 pin adapters etc, plug and play duel slope... they look somewhat flimsy compared to others! Waiting for pricing

  13. #13CM19952020-06-12 23:07

    Paid just shy of $30K for the Cat blade, laser system installed, telescoping tripod and dual plane laser.

  14. #14monster762020-06-12 23:19

    Im in the same boat as hysert everyone is quoted me 40 to 50 k with the David Dozer system being the most expensive one in the level best being in the middle and the skeer system being the cheapest

  15. #15Hysert2020-06-13 06:22

    Yep US price right?

  16. #16bdog12342020-08-21 04:01

    I just bought a Sharpgrade and had it installed last week. It is nothing short of amazing. It has the wheels out front which you need for really precise work but they can also fold back out of the way if you want to run like a dozer or need to get close to things. They put a lot of thought into the design and it shows. I spent three years researching the various options before I settled on this one. The blade is super rigid with their linkage design. Zero slop in it. Many designs have the blade mounted in the center and pivot off that. This one does not. The hydraulic cylinders are mounted near the edges and and the blade can move up and down independently on each end.

  17. #17monster762020-08-23 21:00

    i went with the David's dozer system and honestly i couldn't be happier. the system works flawlessly, the sharpgrade you mentioned looks solid but, the front tire for me is a deal breaker, the way i see it with our dozers we get such exact grade that honestly our road graders are pretty much just for covering up grouser marks at this point. i don't expect this to replace our grader or dozer but for parking lots and building pads i couldn't be happier. im going to make nice in depth video on my likes and dislikes on this system now when we make a new turn lane and get ready to grade for the base for asphalt at a 711 we are doing the site work on now that ive used it a couple times and figures it out

  18. #18That_Guy2024-11-08 11:47

    Hysert if you're still looking at your options I could help out with direct insight on the Skeer, couple hour drive from Ontario..

  19. #19AO299D2025-10-25 20:31

    Hi I bought a cat GB124 that's the smart attach grader blade from cat and am wanting to add laser receivers to it anyone know why the older cat box blade you could just add the receivers and now you have to buy a complete machine control system?

  20. #20AMBMike2025-11-06 19:12

    Can you give more info on the older system? I'm unaware of any grading attachment that didn't require adding a grade control system.

  21. #21AO299D2025-11-12 15:46

    I actually don't have any proof other then YT vids where I see them with laser receivers but no extra control box, you would just think that since you can plug the receivers directly onto attachment and it has a controller already on it that should be all it needs and especially since bobcat does it that way.

  22. #22AMBMike2025-11-12 16:52

    I believe Bobcat has a laser grade control system built into some of their skid steers and CTLs. I'm not aware of anyone else that does. With the GB124 blade connected to a Cat D3 series or later skid steer/CTL you can enable slope control on the machine display which will hold a cross slope automatically. To add laser, sonic tracer, or 3D grade control you'll need to add the system of your choice. For a while you could get the Trimble Earthworks Go system and you may still be able to. I haven't run it but from what I've read it appears to be a portable box to which you connect laser receivers. The box contains software, an IMU, and Bluetooth. You provide a tablet or cellphone which connects to the box via Bluetooth and becomes your in cab display/controller.

  23. #23AO299D2025-11-12 17:04

    Ya i ended up getting Earthworks 2D thats the same as Earthworks Go but also works with next Gen Cat skidsteers and has a dedicated wireless screen.

  24. #24AMBMike2025-11-12 17:57

    Let us know how it works for you.

  25. #25Corbinb432025-12-07 04:12

    Yes i see