Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Laser receiver on Dozer blade

Rooster75 ยท 2016-03-26 08:50

I have a topcon laser & am contemplating mounting a receiver on my blade. I have a John Deere 450H LGP. I can see where this addition would make it easier on me since I'm always by myself on a job. Any of you guys have any what to do or more importantly what not to do advice on this topic. Thanks

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies8
  1. #1farmerlund2016-03-26 11:09

    I mounted my magnetic receiver to the blade of a 650H. I mounted it close to the center, but over enough so I could see it. Made a 30" or so removable mast for it to stick to. It works good for checking elevation. It needs to be strong so vibration doesn't break it off. Mine is 3" square tube with 1/4 wall, with two 5/8" bolts holding it on to a flat base I welded to the top of blade. The first one I made was to light and didn't last long. my receiver is kind of heavy.

  2. #2norite2016-03-26 11:28

    Here are a couple from a guy who made his own setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=972l7kku0vM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmJA5dbEaoI

  3. #3zhkent2016-03-27 23:16

    I'd suggest a mount on each side. That way you can set up your mast (piece of pipe or tubing) on the side your laser is on. I'd also suggest a holder for the mast on the back of the blade, throw a wrench in the tractor to mount and unmount.

  4. #4Rooster752016-03-28 21:27

    I was thinking of which way I would mount it on the blade and if there would be trouble with laser line. I looked at some models that also have a display you have in the operators station but they were more $$. Is the receiver on the blade easily visible from the seat?

  5. #5zhkent2016-03-30 23:05

    Depends on the receiver. Some are larger than others and easier to see. I happend to find some larger ones used. Also the 360* ones are much easier than the 180* ones to set up so that you can see it while it picks up signal. Where I mount mine they are fairly easy to see. I'll try and get a pic. How much adustment up and down you have depends on the length of your mast. I've done it and a friend has also; ran 2 receivers at the same time, the top one for the channel and the bottom one for the ridge. I have a wired in display in a scraper, it's nice on it cause it's a long way to turn around to see the receiver on the outside of the pan. Picked that up used also.

  6. #6zhkent2016-03-31 19:59

    Didn't make it by the dozer today.

  7. #7looneytunes2016-03-31 21:24

    Yes sir it will ruin ya. I've been doing it for years and it's the only way to go and is relatively simple and cheap compared to what on the market today. I made a metal cage to slide the receiver in because that bade is very rough and u will eventually braking the back out of it if u use a surveys clamp. I use a small pipe about 5 ft long that I slip on and off the dozer. The cage slides up and down the pipe and 2 t handle 3/8 bolts that lock the cage with receiver inside at any point on the pipe. Ur receiver needs to have a readout on front and back. U can go to or away from ur Lazer by turning ur receiver eye toward the lazer. I built a little red neck slope indicator, what I tell people when they ask, and bolts below where my pipe is on the blade. Is a simple deal similar to a plum bob. It'll got a pointer below the weight that let's u know ur blade is level and 2, 3, and 4:1 slope. Running that lazer ur watching that receiver one side of ur blade and that indicator will help u keep ur blade level. Did u kinda get all of that?

  8. #8zhkent2016-04-01 17:13