Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

last pipe of the season

dayexco ยท 2008-11-11 17:29

no frost yet, little snow...work is REALLY slowing down here, and not much being talked about for next spring...few pics of today's activities

Replies11
  1. #1jmac2008-11-11 18:27

    looks cold, also looks like you got to stay in the heated machine. Slow everywhere, all I have lined up now is plowing snow.

  2. #2JDMGrading2008-11-12 20:05

    Does'nt look like any glass to me...

  3. #3nedly052008-11-13 05:39

    We are wrapping up too, we've plowed once and we've got a couple good jobs left, not big ones but mostly machine work. One good road job that we can work on if we want to or not they don't care, so we are going to get moving on that cutting and roughing in for this year at least. Im gonna miss my dirt stuff when I trade it for the snowplow! Oh well, its not as fun but it's income!

  4. #4Turbo218352008-11-13 08:17

    Must not dig much pipe? Most hoe operators on mainline dont leave the front closed up. I know I always take the glass out of the way. It doesnt distort your vision. Kind of an important thing when you are inches away from you pipe layer. The heater or ac on a good machine still keeps things comfortable.

  5. #5dayexco2008-11-13 08:52

    especially on a cloudy day, there's enough tint in the glass, and the window frame itself right where the upper/lower panel come together, is RIGHT in the line of vision i need to see....yeah, most pipe guys i know run with glass out of the way.

  6. #6JS580SL2008-11-13 09:48

    Nice pics, I could never understand how people could work with the window closed in front of you wether it be backhoe or excavator. Drives me nuts having it closed!

  7. #7hammerdwn202008-11-13 14:15

    i dont like the glass in the way either! i want to hear and see as much as i can

  8. #8Turbo218352008-11-13 14:24

    But it sure is nice when you have a pissed off pipe layer throwing stuff, and cussing at you

  9. #9tylermckee2008-11-13 20:59

    I always keep my glass closed :beatsme I used to hate it, but i learned to live with it. I just have to have my glass cleaner and a squeege, as long as its good and clean i have no problems with seeing what i need to. Now if i was digging 20+ feet deep i would have it open.

  10. #10nedly052008-11-14 05:48

    If it's really cold I will crank the heat and shut the side door, that keeps it comfy in there. If its really hot or really cold I will shut all the glass and run the heater or AC, but the windows hafta be spotless.

  11. #11Turbo218352008-11-14 07:47

    I usually have the side door closed when its cold. Other than that, every thing is open. I look a it this way, My pipe layer, and my top man are out in the ****** weather. If they can deal with it, so can I. Maybe I am a minority on this, but i also get out and help when putting valves and Ts together. Theres a lot of bolts on those megalugs. The sooner its bolted up, the sooner I can get back to digging.