I have a question , what , if anything do you do with employees that are late. it is hard to find people here, and even harder to get ones that have any skills, so the last thing you want to do is get rid of them. we have been making them come in with Coffee and donuts for the whole crew. ( if your 5 min late, another 10 to the coffee shop isnt going to hurt you now) It is more of a razzing than any thing else, but for a few , I think it is time to up the ante.:bouncegri
I have a handbook that each employee must sign it states what will happen each time they are late. first couple just a warning, then a day off no pay, then fired. if you document everything and have the employee sign a handbook the unemployment security commision will not require you to pay unemployment. i agree good people are hard to come by, but i try to stick to my rule. i have fired a couple of people and overlooked others. knowing they will get fired they will try harder to be on time. Tim
X2 To bad I don't like donuts that is a good one and I'm guessing your not paying them to show up late?
Nope. they get paid by the hour. If the rest of the crew has to work short handed, they had better be kissing a little behind . I had one day when the foreman and I were the only ones there, and the foreman dosent do a lot except babysit his truck. It gets a little hard rolling out carpet. good thing I had a Hoe to move the stuff around.
My recollection of the City of Pittsburgh's policy on lateness is that they are, (or were when I read the policy some years ago), docked for the entire crew's time. The logic is that the crew can't leave the yard and go to work if they're waiting for somebody that's late.
A friend is a homebuilder that had the same problem. "Luckily" his whole crew is now in jail and on work release. He has to pick them up in the morning, but they are always ready and waiting... We used to do the 3 lates and you buy lunch for the crew. Maybe make 'em stay late and wash the truck/equipment to make up the time?
some of the other crews do something, they make them grease and wash all the windows in the machines. When i used to be a foreman, when i was ready to leave the yard a 7am, if the guys wernt neer the the truck to go, I would leave them in the yard. none of the guys would get any gear for the truck/job. (ear plugs/ grease/oil) and they would try to use the excuse to go back to the shop. to save time i would get the stuff we needed. If their not ready to go to work when I was done getting supplies, I would leave.
job starts @ 7:am if you are not there you do not work that day. 3 times and you are looking for a new job. I am not a baby setter.
agreed,no show no pay.i wouldn't even give em 3 chances
Seems to me that you have employee's that are taking advantage of that fact. Give them an inch and they will take a mile. Sometimes you have to set the bar and not back up. If you fire a guy for showing up late all the time then that is sending a strong message to the rest of them. Also the guy you fired would have a hard time landing another job as what would he put on his resume for references? I know the last thing that you would want to do is get rid of them, but how effective and productive will your company be with people like that? The good employee's have to work twice as hard to make up for them being late. Forget the coffee & donuts....time to get serious First time late.....warning Second time late.....sent home for the day with no pay Third time late .......terminated (fire him, not kill him ) Base this on a yearly or seasonal basis
In-trestin' diss-kushun. Hi, Folks. A lotta folks seem ter have the strange 'idee' that orlya gotta have ter do a 'jarb' is the relevant work skills. NOT SO. Yer orlso hafta BE THERE to apply those skills to ther 'jarb' in question. On fizziical-type 'jarbs', ther fizzical presence of ther worker/shirker is stilla pretty basic requirement. I have run crews in the past and always liked the 3 strikes approach. I've also had some workers who liked to head for the nearest 'watering hole' at lunch time. I didn't mind that if they came back sober and on time. If they came back late or inebriated (That's fancy talk for p*ss*d, a good old DownUnder term for drunk.) they got a 'rocket' and drunk was an immediate ticket home, regardless of who they were. I would sometimes even go to the local boozer with some of them for lunch. BUT I always had the lunch and maybe one soft drink (Soda to you TopSiders.) and I alway got back on time. (Except for the day my son died. They brought the message to me while I was having lunch and it took me 5 days to get back to work.) (Is that like the feller who had a circumcision when he was four days old and it was 12 months before he could walk?) One of the things that was instilled in me while I was still VERY young and green was that you always front for work, on time and correct weight (sober and capable) unless you have a broken leg or are on your death bed. In those latter two situations, you ALWAYS let your employer know what is going on. Mind you, it helps if you enjoy your work. I mostly have, for most of the last 47 years. But I was always a bit on the lazy side so they had to give me horsepower and hydraulics to get any work out of me. I've been a kid in a sandpit ever since. It's a great life if you don't weaken. You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.
I would think it really comes down to what kind of employee they are. a good employee thats always working, always there, has a good attitude, but shows up late a couple times a year with a reason other than he was too hung over, that wouldnt bother me. But some guys will show up late consistantly with the worst excuses, have a bad attitude, and try to do as little as they can skiping along waiting for their paycheck. these kind of guys are about worthless, and you can usually tell BEFORE they start showing up late every day.
Here, we've got the 40 hr "bucket". Any time you're late or have a no show or take vacation/PTO without 20 hrs notice, it takes "X" time from your bucket. If you're late, even 5 minutes, it's an hour off the bucket. If you're AWOL, it's 40 hours off. When the bucket is gone and you have any of the above, you're out the gate. A little brutal, sure. But it's ridiculous to have to rearrange the whole operation for someone who doesn't want to play by the rules.
X2 I think that is the key right there, but I have had one guy on my crew that was the exception. He had been with the co. since the get go, before I was even alive. And he was late 5-10 mins. or would come flying on the job 7:00 every morning. Reeking of booze, but never drunk or he was always drunk one of the two. But he busted *** all day knew everything and the best way to do most of the work we did, and you could bet that it was do right after he had finished. There where more than a few times I had to ask his advice on the best way to do something when I took over the fuel tank removal jobs we had. I couldn't of gotten him fired if I wanted to I could of had him taken off my crew, but it would of take more than 2 guys to take his place. The fact is I had to fight most of the time to keep him from having to go to another crew. The other guys did get pissed about the fact that he made more $$$ and got "special" treatment, but I would always set them straight. I even went as far to bet one guy that if he could keep up him all day, I would give him a day off PAID, and he still couldn't do it.