I was asked to install 1 mile of 2" CPVC pipe for new water line for a current customer of mine. There is no rock in the soil, just good clay soil. He will provide all material (fittings, pipe, ect). I was planning on renting a ditch witch to dig the trench, customer says 18" depth is fine with him. I have no idea what the going rate is for this type of work since all I do is dozer and excavator work. I have googled over and over to see if I could find some information but I get nothing. Anyone have an idea/ballpark of a linear foot cost for installation? Or any other input. Thanks for your help.
Might want to research Pressure Drop on that length of lay as well. One mile put may be a Pissy discharge.
I should have been more specific. It is actually at two separate job sites for this customer. One run will be 2000 linear feet. The other run will be 3000 linear feet. Owner said he would install pressure tanks ect if needed. Thanks
I did a similar job last summer at about $2 a foot with 1 1/2 pipe. That was with all materials included. I used a trencher attachment on my skid steer. Most of it was hard clay and I want to say I had a day and a half in trenching alone. Later found out some others in the area were charging $3-4 a foot.
Why the need for such drastic lengths? Just in support the in plant systems I have dealt with, the base minimum for 1000' of run was three inch. For the Deep Well to my House less than 150' from the well discharge was recommended at 1 1/2" Seamless Continuous Roll PVC, every joint connection will increase Friction losses with turbulence om 2" unless Continuous Roll. Only want the size drop from 3 or 4" at within a few tens to hundred feet from a structure. Pressure tanks will not help on make up volume to those tanks.
To add to the pressure discussion. We had county water and the county would only install a 3/4" meter. We ended up with about 2500' of 1.5" pipe. We had enough pressure, not knock your socks off pressure but enough for a house. I am not sure what the elevation change was though so we might have picked up a little help.
Off topic, but pressure tanks will definitely work great if this is just for intermittent use like indoor fixtures. Not if it is for sprinklers, though.
V trench with a grader if there are no obstacles.
There is two discussions going on here - Design/engineering and construction. OP stated that owner is accepting the design part with any limitations said owner may design into it. Now as far as trenching goes the rates will obviously vary widely across the country and the world for that matter. Couple of questions - Glue joints or push on gaskets? Any taps or other services? Is it just 2 straight runs? What is your estimated daily production rate with a trencher in your soil conditions? What does the work area look like - side of a county/state road, private drive, pasture? Will you have to pressure test the pipe once installed?
wow, thank you guys for the input. I am a dozer operator not a plumber LOL. This particular job is for one of the wealthiest families in Texas (maybe the USA). I am building two small lakes on one property, and on the other property, it is for a group of investors doing multiple things on that property. All I have been asked to do is to install 2000 feet of 2" pipe @ a depth of 18 inches, and on the other job install 3000 feet of pipe. The owner will take care of any pressure problems, I have addressed the pipe size issue with him already I am a golf course shaper and have shaped the #1 golf course in the state of Texas.......... but I have no Idea on the cost of laying 2"inch water lines. LOL
because one of the ranches is 25,000 acres....... In Texas everything is a bit bigger LOL.
the way I understand it, it will come in 500ft rolls. No other taps other than the meter on the road. Just 2 straight runs fairly flat terrian pasture.
A lot of 1-1/2” and 2” livestock lines have been installed in this area for less than that, and at 5’ depth. If you get more than $4/ft (including cost of pipe) to install a 2” line a mere 18” deep, that would be considered a high rate, here. Sounds like fusible HDPE.
Ahh OK so on Australia's scale of property sizes it is just a horse paddock.
what part of Texas did you miss?
What ever you do, be aware that if you supply the pipe you will be responsible for failures if is faulty. They plow in lots of natural gas lines here in Alberta and many when tested with pressure ruptured in many places because it was cheap Chinese plastic pipe. Some companies will not use there own but prefer to have owner take responsibility. Or make sure you have a large cushion of dollars to do rework if pipe fails. All the ones I seen that failed were thick wall one side of pipe, and very skinny on the opposite side of same pipe. Made cheap with no quality control. Just wanted to save you possibly major headache. Re-work can be very time consuming. Simon C
It depends somewhat as to how fast your trencher can dig in those conditions. Are there any line crossings or other utilities? If its fusible pipe, who rents the fuser or has to find someone to bring the fuser? Even if you are doing shovel work, your dozer is setting so you need to cover the overhead on owning the dozer, just not the operational cost.
Why not plow it in ?
Ahh, what a life. To be able to call someone and say I want a mile of plumbing installed, so me and my buddies can screw around. Gotta love Bezos $$.
Texas money is far older than Bezos. A 1/8 interest in a 1,000 bbl/day oil well thats 50-100 years old sets up several generations.
Are the stars at night really big and bright? Deep in the heart of Texas that is.......
In West Texas and New Mexico they are. It's amazing how many stars you see from horizon to horizon at night out there once you get away from the city lights.
I'll likely never see them. It's a shame, all the places and things a person will never see. There's a lot of spots in my own country I have never seen.
Go to visit Yukon and Alaska and you will never want to leave except for when the mosquitos are at peak. They are as strong as small helicopters there, or at least I thought they were unstoppable, even at 1 degree Celcius. Yes even when that cold we got eaten. Amazing mountain ranges up there, and big game. Been once , hope to go back soon. Simon C