Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Layoffs!!

Eric · 2008-11-26 10:49

Just wondering how things are going across the HEF community. All the mines in our area are laying off. Price of copper is down, it seems to always happen right around the holiday's. So far I still have a job, and it would not be the end of the world should I get canned... after all it is quail season!!! Hope all the best for you all during Thanksgiving and Christmas!:drinkup

Replies49
  1. #1Copenhagen2008-11-26 12:37

    The company I was operating a satellite office for shut down in August. **** poor management and planning. A few days later, I filed for unemployment and found out that they had not paid their unemployment taxes. I fell back on some old skills that I had learned over the years and now have my own welding company. The government is doing some major on Ft. Carson army base and they are looking for truck drivers and operators. I would love to get back into it, but its nice being my own boss. In fact, I sent myself home today!

  2. #2joispoi2008-11-26 13:52

    Yeah, it starts with a half day hear and a couple days there. Don´t let the man keep you down. I wouldn´t but up with that kind of crap if I were you. :usa

  3. #3stock2008-11-26 16:19

    People here are being layed off wholesale not just in construction with 240 jobs gone here to day in industry ,not alot says you but with a total population of 3 million it's alot in one day

  4. #4CascadeScaper2008-11-26 16:29

    Laid off in October, not that much fun but whatever. I have winter work lined up as soon as it snows, this year has been depressing to say the least for snowfall in the PNW. Hopefully December brings a change of pace or I won't work all winter, that would be bad news. Talked to my boss recently and I should be back come April if all goes well. We have an almost identical project to the one I was working on when I left to complete.

  5. #5AtlasRob2008-11-26 16:58

    lay offs It is dire here in the UK, a good friend was laid off 4 wks ago, one of about 30 from a firm that runs tippers, excavators 5t to 50t, dozers, has landfill/tips, crushers screens etc, work just died overnight for anybody involved with house building in any shape or form. I've been told I'll be OK until Xmas give or take a week but that will complete the job I am on. New Year might be a bit bleak but I'm a lot better off than a lot of people, I'm still working.

  6. #6curly2008-11-26 17:18

    Friday was my last day, at least the foreman let me know thursday compared to the usual same day they give folks. I'm not too surprised though as they also shut down all operations this week. The bigger bummer though is that the company gave us a letter saying if we've been laid off that to be called back we have to remain on unemployment, if we stop that or get another job we don't get called back. And then the stuff from the state says you have to make 2 contacts per week to get benefits...***?! I've got an application out with the city but I'm not holding my breathe, more just relaxing and deciding what garbage job I'll take until next season starts.

  7. #7AtlasRob2008-11-26 17:37

    A friend who was struggling, bumped into an old mate who works in the garbage part of the industry and said if things dont pick up I'll be calling for a job, I'm not too proud to hump rubbish if I have to. The reply was " dont rush theres 70 in front of you as of yesterday morning " :Banghead

  8. #8Burnout2008-11-26 21:12

    Things have definately slowed down here for most companies. Our entire crew was laid off on friday but me and the boss have been makin plans for the last 2 months. We found enough small winter jobs to keep us in business until our big pond to dig in march. Gonna be runnin a grader for a couple weeks doin cleanup, then a dozer and then off to remove a topsoil pile once things freeze up a bit.

  9. #9curly2008-11-26 21:15

    I know the feeling, almost makes ya wish you got laid off first so you'd have a better chance at some jobs.

  10. #10Truckie2008-11-27 08:28

    Been laid off since November 12. All the scrap yards in my area have been laying people off left and right. Managed to get a few things done around the house, now it’s time to start looking again. I got a few phone calls to make.

  11. #11jimmyjack2008-11-27 12:04

    been off since the begining of the month, just waiting for the job i was on to get rolling again in march. got some local guys that i could go plow snow for but i hate plowing snow and we dont get snow like we use to get

  12. #12ohioduramax2008-11-27 12:05

    I got laid off in the middle of october

  13. #13brynbaily2008-11-27 12:25

    Layoff started Mon. Prob be called back after New Years.

  14. #14RollOver Pete2008-11-27 12:36

    Threads like this one are a real eye opener Guess I'm just lucky. Maybe Im just a workaholic? Regardless, I've always made a point of keeping a foot in as many doors as possible. Always having another (paying) option available just in case has been a way of life for me. If the job I'm at now were to dry up, I've got another job to go to tomorrow. I know what it's like to open up a kitchen cabinet and see nothing to eat. I also know what its like to have a truck repo'd because I couldn't make my payments. When I went through this back in 1986, I made a promise to myself to never again be at anyone's mercy when it comes to me bringing home a paycheck. I won't get on any list or wait in any line looking for work. I won't go hungry for anyone.... I had a huge attitude adjustment in 86. Since then, I've never been without a job.

  15. #15swampdog2008-11-27 13:40

    Western Canada is slowing down too. It's a mixed picture, with some sectors strong and others hurting. Oil is slowing with the drop in oil prices. A lot of the oil activity has shifted from Alberta to Saskatchewan and B.C. The Bakken oil field that extends into Saskatchewan, N. Dakota, and Montana is about the hottest oil play on the continent and is keeping that area going. Potash and uranium mines are also doing just fine. The governments of both Alberta and Saskatchewan are still running multi-billion dollar surpluses, although Alberta drastically reduced its budget surplus estimate to about two billion dollars. Saskatchewan estimates its budget surplus at 2.3 billion. That means that, for now at least, new highway and other infrastructure construction continues. Things could change fast if the world economy continues to worsen. The housing industry is hard hit. Housing is in an oversupply situation, and prices are coming down a little. Housing starts are way down, and construction workers may have hard times ahead. Condo projects might be worst off. One big condo project in southern Alta recently went into receivership at 95% complete. Others are being capped at ground level or cancelled. In some cases, subtrades are hurting and having trouble getting paid. The good news is that winter hasn't really arrived yet, so anyone who has work can keep on going for now.

  16. #16stock2008-11-27 16:01

    I made a promise to myself to never again be at anyone's mercy when it comes to me bringing home a paycheck. I won't get on any list or wait in any line looking for work. I won't go hungry for anyone.... I had a huge attitude adjustment in 86. Since then, I've never been without a job. OOOO! yea can totally agree with those sentiments, the reason I chose to be a civil servant (bah)

  17. #17surfer-joe2008-11-27 16:28

    RV hauling has gone down the tubes with the credit and financial crunch. Plus since we got rear-ended in Nevada in October, haven't been able to get far from the house since then anyway as my lady received severe whip-lash injury and has to see doctors and do physical therapy at least three days a week thorough December. At least repairs to hauler are now complete. But that's the bright side. I myself was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia Tuesday and start chemo-therapy this coming Monday. From what I hear I'll not feel like doing much for a couple months after that. Beyond that, construction and mining here in Arizona has been flushed down the crapper. Even truck driver jobs are becoming rare and competition for new positions is fierce. Only bright spot is that our new law regarding employers hiring illegal aliens is starting to work well and that is freeing up positions that otherwise might not be open. If our government doesn't force the lending people to get with the program and stop hoarding the tax money they have been given recently, it's going to be a mighty bad year in 2009. If our domestic auto industry goes down, well, I can't even imagine the misery that will cause for the entire country. I suppose there will be some that make a killing from it financially, but I'm not one of them. I'm hoping the Obama team leap from the starting gate with money for lots of transportation work. We all know that there are millions of dollars worth of work already approved in every state and ready to go, just need funding. Wouldn't mind seeing oil and gas exploration pick up either, but with current low prices, don't see that happening. High prices for casing and shortage of rigs kept a new well from spudding in on property I have in Michigan this last year. Low natural gas price now likely to keep new drilling off the table next year too. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

  18. #18RollOver Pete2008-11-27 19:10

    I just said a prayer for ya surfer-joe. And will continue to do so until you are once again back in the saddle. :drinkup Oh, yeah..... Nothing better to do so I am working today. Just delivered a H20 tower to the Stock lumber yard in San Bernardino. p.s.... I think turkey tastes like crap :throwup

  19. #19Turbo218352008-11-27 20:18

    surfer-joe, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have learned one thing about any cancer, the willingness to fight and kick its ass is the most helpful thing you can have. My father is a long time survivor of cancer. In fact, he was diagnosed when I was 2 years old. 24 years later hes still alive and kicking. Pete, you havent had turkey the right way. Just like food from the fair, you gotta deep fry that turkey

  20. #20zhkent2008-11-27 20:19

    Best of luck surfer-joe

  21. #21Deere96702008-11-27 20:36

    Best of luck surfer, sounds like our lay-off problems are nothing to whine about compared to yours. Best of luck to you and your wife. Stay strong and get well soon. We all really enjoy reading your posts here at hef.

  22. #22stock2008-11-28 00:46

    If you can put on your boots every morning and take them off at night yourself it a good day. Best of luck Surfer Joe on that journey keep the bright side out Stock

  23. #23hitch2008-11-28 03:58

    Almost all of the construction equipment manufactures have frozen recruitment & head account in China area, never heard any of them began layoff but I guess things will be worse in 2009.

  24. #24LowBoy2008-11-28 05:20

    Best wishes to you and your better half surfer-joe. I was told that when you wake up in the morning and your elbows ain't touching WOOD, it's a good day. AsTurbo21835 said, that fight inside is the biggest factor in the outcome. I've had several friends around here get diag'd with grim outlooks, and they are doing fine simply because they caught it early and attacked the cause.

  25. #25EZ TRBO2008-11-28 07:20

    Joe our prayers our with you and hope the treatments and then recovery go well and with as lil pain as possible. Far as work around here things have been steady, not super busy but we still need all of our guys working and for some stupid reason or other we have already laid off some. One day had 2 trucks helping out of another plant and they had to go back cause they got a large order and no one there cause they had already laid off a guy. Our largest and newest plant is the eastern head quaters, they also happen to be in one of the smallest areas in terms of work load and because they are slow I think they think ALL of the other plants are slow, not the case. Myself I have at least 2 more quarries to strip yet this fall, and need haul truck drivers cause once we get one or two they have been told by management they need to let loose some guys cause its slow and all the plants are hurting cause they need their guys yet. I have plenty of work to do as long as it doesn't snow too much or is too cold, busting boulders at about 6 different pits, and doing a bunch of clean up of a HUGE mess one of the Asphalt companines left in one of our quarries. Have some seals and build up to do on one dozer, going to re skin the blade on the other, excavator needs some leaks and wore hoses replaced, as well as full service's. Plenty of welding to do for me as well between trucks and quarry eqiupment. But if things do get really slow or a long winter I have plowing snow for the township to do as well as working at one of the welding shops in the area if the need arises. Lets just hope we can get through this tough time and come out a better country on the other side. Trbo:usa

  26. #26nedly052008-11-28 07:31

    You are in our thoughts and prayers Joe! Hang in there!

  27. #27Eric2008-11-28 10:23

    WOW! Things sound pretty bleak all over. I am like you ROP, always have irons in the fire, if I get canned today, I will hunt quail for a few days,:guns:guns:guns then go to work!! Heck I'll drive a Swift truck if it means not going hungry! This has also made me realize that it's time to dust off the ol' brain and start getting some higher learning. A degree don't make ya smart rofessor, but it helps when jobs get scarce. Hang in there Surfer Joe... unlike you I don't have alot of confidence in our president elect, maybe I'll be plesantly surprised. That's for another forum!!! However, I do hope you and the misses heal up and are able to rebound strong from this. We'll be praying for you two.

  28. #28dayexco2008-11-28 10:47

    he doesn't become "president elect" until the electoral college convenes.

  29. #29Eric2008-11-28 11:13

    Anyway........:shf

  30. #30alco2008-11-28 11:28

    Joe, My thoughts are with both you and your wife. Take all the time you need and don't try and rush recovery, it'll take as long as it takes. Just remember, the key to beating it, is to want to win, and never give up. As long as you keep going, you're winning the battle. All the best Brian

  31. #31Buckethead2008-11-28 12:06

    Surfer Joe, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. You have a lot of other people on this forum pulling for you as well. Keep up the fight.

  32. #32637slayer2008-11-28 14:47

    i live over the mountain from some big coal mines, as of last week one of the bigger ones layed 350 off with more to come, rumor has it other mines are soon to follow, best wishes to you and your family surfer joe.

  33. #33AtlasRob2008-11-28 17:50

    Surfer Joe from your posts on this site, which I have found informative educational and many times highly entertaining I believe you to be the sort of man who is not going to let this illness beat you, and we will help all we can. I am sorry to hear of your wifes injuries and wish you both all the best. Try and keep positive it definetly seems to help. Good luck.

  34. #34curly2008-11-28 17:51

    Best of luck Surfer Joe!

  35. #35Truckie2008-11-28 20:27

    Surfer Joe to you and your wife are in my prayers. Joe keep a positive attitude and keep the fight up and you come through this just fine. Were all pulling for you here. As far as my lay off goes they keep telling me around the beginning of January I‘ll be called back, till then I got a few od ball jobs to do and got my feet in a few doors. Now If I could just get over this dang head and chest cold I got I’d be doing a lot better.

  36. #36cat 3852008-11-28 21:33

    fight the good fight surfer joe.

  37. #37JTL2008-12-02 15:14

    Good luck Surfer Joe. Being new to the forum I am impressed with your writtings! Hope all goes well for you. As far as work goes, I quess Im lucky too! Had 2 weeks off after returning from a job in Colorado, to do some deer hunting, then headed off to Oregon for another landfill project. It seems to me no matter how bad the economy gets, people are still gonna make trash! Jason

  38. #38Cat_Yellow2008-12-02 18:04

    Surfer Joe...as the others have said, think positive. Hope for a speedy recovery.

  39. #39657bsplitter2008-12-03 03:08

    Surfer Joe just another test from the man upstairs shouldnt be a problem for an operator happy holidays

  40. #40657bsplitter2008-12-03 03:16

    Thanks everybody for all the cool pics and info.have Have been A member LOCAL12 for six years and been layed off for seven months about to loose my house and just had a baby girl anybody need scraper hands willing to travel ANYWHERE!!!!!!

  41. #41alan627b2008-12-03 15:52

    Sorry to hear about the Lukemia, Joe, and hope you get a handle on it. I myself have been out of work since July 28th, when I tore my rotator cuff. And now that I've been released for work, everything is slowing down even more than usual for winter. It's a long time until spring.... Alan627b

  42. #42CoastIndustrial2008-12-03 18:08

    Hi guys, I'm new to this board. Curious to know how many of you may look at relocating to BC or Alberta Canada depending on the economic situation in the US?

  43. #43Eric2008-12-03 23:26

    We are losing 50% more of our work force by Jan1. The other mine across the county is shutting down, 600 people got canned. All the Freeport mines in our area are gonna chop 50-60% of the work force. This after all the contractors got the axe. All together it will be around 2500 people. I havn't got whacked yet, but I thinks my time is coming! Anyone need a fat guy to carry their golf clubs, I only charge 100K a year! Keep yer heads up !!

  44. #44klyons2008-12-04 17:49

    still woking but the well is drying up, not a whole lot going on

  45. #45dayexco2008-12-04 18:12

    this is just the beginning. my small town of 20k, a good healthy "market"....has 30-50 unsold residential lots in developments....it's pushing 400 right now. we normally have developers calling us now getting budget pricing for next spring. the phone isn't ringing. unless obama pulls a rabbit out of the hat, i look for the next 3-4 yrs to be just like this.

  46. #46hoop2008-12-04 18:17

    As a student graduating in the near future, I have become more and more concerned over the job market in the recent months. It's been tough to even find leads on internships. As far as relocating to Canada, it's definitely something I have been considering, but I am pretty much willing to relocate anywhere. Hey, I am from Northern Minnesota, which is almost Canada anyway .

  47. #47jmanfitter2008-12-05 02:07

    None of the major construction companies are hiring till after the 1st, bad all over.

  48. #48swampdog2008-12-05 09:41

    Hoop, you might want to have a look in north-eastern Montana or north-western North Dakota. The oil companies working the Bakken field seem to be doing well. If you are thinking about looking for work in Canada, your best chance might be Saskatchewan or Alberta. Saskatchewan claims that employers are looking for tens of thousands of workers. But it's slowing down there too. Stay away from Ontario; the auto industry is dragging everything down there.

  49. #49XL4300X2008-12-05 22:48

    Working all winter for me, we actually have a couple of jobs going through the winter to keep the core of the company going.