Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LD50 (JD Lull Prime Mover)

Apathetic Pumpkin ยท 2024-07-06 07:57

Picked up what I hope is a good example of a Prime Mover LD50 with the JD 3.164 engine, found the online parts manual and a operation / maintenance manual on Ebay. I read through the other posts on the mater and see the hydro-static pump discussions etcetera. So the good: "fresh engine" stupid to not be skeptical about that descripter, but it starts instantly and seems to run very well, paint on it suggests it was rebuilt a while ago New hydraulic pump, all functions seem to operate fine Tin is real straight for something this old drives in h/l and f/r fine as far as I can tell Came with an ACS quick attach, very nice shape bucket and forks. I really don't think this thing was abused much. Bad: looks like hell, needs a paint job most of the gauges do not work, I suspect electrical, no problem, its what I do. Tires are well... tired.. they have tread and they are either foam filled or they are holding air, but they look rough. Brakes... and here's where my ask comes in, does anyone know a cross reference for brake pads / calipers / master cylinder? I came up dry searching the numbers I found in the parts manual. I would also appreciate any other manuals, ownership advice or information about these machines any of you can offer. Thank you, Greg

Replies10
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-07-07 08:43

    Deere online parts catalog for that 3164. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/64198 .

  2. #2Apathetic Pumpkin2024-07-07 11:12

    another question, does anyone know what the rims are? they are 5 lug, I'm thinking maybe they were old power wagon pattern?

  3. #3Apathetic Pumpkin2024-07-09 06:36

    starting to think its a Budd 5 stud design, anyone?

  4. #4Apathetic Pumpkin2024-07-10 05:46

    Still nothing on brakes? some one has removed the caliper so no luck finding it by casting code...

  5. #5SawtoothLD502024-08-13 15:03

    I don't have that caliper number for you, but I have a Prime Mover LD50 that I have been slowly working on. Mine has the caliper, but the cable has been cut before I got it. As I recall, it looks like a bear to get it out. I plan on splitting the machine (someday) to put bushings in the main hinge joint. I figured on getting the caliper out to rebuild/replace at that point. If pictures would be helpful I would be happy to take some.

  6. #6Apathetic Pumpkin2024-08-16 18:06

    Absolutely I would appreciate that, does yours have hydraulic brakes (pedal to the left) and a master cyl under the left side of the seat or just a cable actuated parking brake only? I have a manual that shows the cable parking brake on a shaft on the transmission, mine has a caliper bracket on the forward driveshaft, the other parts manual shows both a single and a dual piston caliper version of that... guessing either the brake system was upgraded from 1 cable parking brake to cable plus hydraulic service to 2 piston cable plus hydraulic service, or downgraded to save cost.. Thank you, Greg

  7. #7Apathetic Pumpkin2024-09-18 18:22

    Got my first new tire and rim on, got some flat center bobcat style with 12x16.5 l4 tread and adapted them with some laser cut plates welded in and match drilled

  8. #8Apathetic Pumpkin2024-09-28 17:41

    the guy I bought this from put a new pump on it, but since the large port (-10) is not the priority circuit, but the secondary and the smaller (-8) port is the primary circuit with the on pump pressure regulator opposite of the Tyrone and Parker versions he miss plumbed it. I'm not positive what pump this is, but its a pretty good indication that you can still find a viable replacement if you need one. it does seem to have plenty of capacity.

  9. #9Apathetic Pumpkin2024-10-06 10:58

    Got the master cyl freed up, penetrating oil, a little heat with a propane torch, some good whacks with a hammer, couple months of neglect and finally a light touch with the hydraulic press. Current plan is to adapt a '79 Cadillac El Dorado rear caliper to the machine to provide both service and parking brake. I'd love to find the original caliper, but with there being 3 versions that I have found one with mechanical parking brake only on the transmission lay shaft, one with a single piston caliper with mechanical parking on the drive shaft and one with a twin piston twin mechanical parking brake caliper option, the chances of finding someone with the same version as mine, still intact with a usable casting number on the caliper seems unlikely. looking at mine I have the single piston version. The master cyl is a mico 2 stage with low pressure relief.

  10. #10Apathetic Pumpkin2026-04-25 08:32

    Well, this project sure is moving glacially.. I got the caliper mounted, took a piece of 1/4" thick plate drilled and tapped 7/16x20 on a 5.47" pattern to match the right rear caliper from a 79-84 Cadillac Eldorado, and drilled 9/16" to match the existing 9/16 unc mounts. new parking brake cable was from a toyota forklift, had to cut off one of the clevis ends to match the gm caliper and modify it a little to match the hand brake, but I have a working parking brake again. Waiting on a couple fittings and a new hose for the hydraulic side of things. I'll see if I can get a photo of it installed, its pretty tight in there.