Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leak between tire and rim?

Grit ยท 2014-04-12 20:24

I hope I'm in the right forum. I was looking at my tires the other day and noticed some tan almost liquid looking stuff seeping out around the edge of the tire where it meets the rim. This was the same stuff that I saw this winter, but it was more solid. This winter it wasn't leaking and had a consistency of soft rubber, probably because it was cold? Now that it's hot, it's running out everywhere. BTW, it has only been on two of the four tires. Yesterday I wiped it up. Today I went outside to check it again and not much of the stuff coming out if any at all, but I noticed small bubbles forming together. I assume it is leaking out between the tire and rim. Is there anything I can do to stop the leak, if that's in fact what it is? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1guajilloweld032014-04-12 21:30

    Could be tire mounting compound(tire soap) leaking out. If the tire is not seating properly they jam a bunch of tire soap in so it will seal. Rims get rusty or out of round and do not seal. Have one at work like this and still leaks after cleaning and painting, going to have to install a tube. This wheel started as a tube type setup, new tires are tube less.

  2. #2ANDREW C2014-04-12 23:02

    It could have liquid filled tires for ballast and is leaking on the rim. Push down on the valve stem when its near the bottom and see if more comes out. Or someone could have tried to seal it with slime and it could be leaking out. Either way you're probably heading to a tire shop soon.

  3. #3Grit2014-04-13 10:58

    Thanks for the help. Who could look at wheels and tires like this? Would a regular tire shop be able to do the work? Or would it be better to take it to a place that is used to working with heavier equipment, like a diesel tractor/trailer repair shop? Thanks for all the help!

  4. #41466IH2014-04-13 14:10

    What is the tire on Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  5. #5Grit2014-04-13 15:08

    '08 New Holland L190 14x17.5 Deestone's

  6. #6Steve Frazier2014-04-13 15:46

    Any tire shop that is set up for commercial work should be able to fix it, most likely they'll put a tube in it.

  7. #7RocketScott2014-04-15 22:01

    Do you have foam filled tires?

  8. #8Grit2014-04-15 23:17

    No. I took those off and replaced them with the pneumatics. Tires are brand new and have zero hrs on them.

  9. #9Tinkerer2014-04-16 07:46

    The person that mounted the tires should have your answer. Try putting higher air pressure in them temporarily. Don't inflate them until they may be a safety hazard. Rotate the tire until the valve stem is at the 12 o'clock position, then release enough air to clear any fluid out of the stem. You will need a tire gauge that can tolerate fluid in it.

  10. #10Grit2014-04-17 10:44

    Tinkerer, thanks, I will try that. It might be awhile until I can get to things. Got so much on my plate as it is.... I need to change them around anyway. One of our good members noticed I had the tread facing the wrong direction, lol. Stupid me didn't know any better. While I have them off, I may just have a tire shop look at them before I put them back on. Thank you all for your help.