Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slidesledge

simonsrplant ยท 2014-04-06 08:49

Has anyone had any experience of these? I recall siege them at the SED Show a good few years ago. Seem to be popping up in all the right places. Not heard of anyone saying wow or avoid tho. http://slidesledge.com

Replies19
  1. #1Old Doug2014-04-06 11:04

    At one of the shops i work at there is a old slide hammer that was for breaking down tires. We use it like one of these once in a while. It is handy when you cant get close to what you want to hit. It would be one of those tools that you wouldnt use alot but when you did it would be good to have. It takes 2 guys or some thing to hold it up.

  2. #2willie592014-04-06 11:34

    I work on machines out in the field working by myself, I use one (atcually two) of these frequently. For a man of my stature, 138 lbs with my work boots on and not having arms the size of Popeye, it works a helluva lot better for me than trying to whack a drift with a sledge by myself. I have the short one for close in work, and the long heavy one for sledge size whacks. With the big one I can remove the bucket pins on a 400 size machine by myself which would be a laborous task with a sledge and drift. Additionally, the adapters they offer are handy. The adapter to install Cat side pin bucket teeth pins is very nice to have.

  3. #3big ben2014-04-06 12:03

    Yup very good and effective tool. Put out a lot more force than you think they would. Driving out pins and bushings on sticks and booms is my most recent use for them. Just have to be careful as they are very good at pinching fingers if your not careful (not that I know from experience or anything )

  4. #4old-iron-habit2014-04-06 12:54

    They work really good for splitting firewood with a wedge on them. especially if your aim with the maul is not to good.

  5. #5wrwtexan2014-04-06 14:07

    Works like a T post driver. Don't think it would be too difficult to copy in the shop except for the attachments.

  6. #6ANDREW C2014-04-06 18:56

    They work pretty awesome. I made my own though as I couldn't justify the price. Over $700. Ill take a few pictures and post them tomorrow.

  7. #7FSERVICE2014-04-06 23:41

    I have the long one & its the best thing I have bought in awhile. like many have said very handy for bucket/atachment pins, or just bout anything u want to remove.. I work in the field by myself all time so anything that makes life a little easier is worth the $$$, im not getting any younger lol

  8. #8willie592014-04-06 23:47

    That was my point as well FSERVICE, when you work alone, and the alternative is a sledge and a drift...I'll take the slidesledge, even if they are a bit spendy to purchase, it's worth it. :yup

  9. #9caterpillarmech2014-04-07 05:12

    I got one a few years ago with the additional weight and all the attachments. I like it a lot. In those awkward jobs, I just hang it from my crane and use it.

  10. #10excavator2014-04-07 11:33

    I've got 3 different ones that I use along with a box full of attachments. A 20 lb. Slide Sledge will not give the same impact force as a 20 lb. sledge hammer but like others have said, when you work alone it's very handy to have. They're expensive but also invaluable at times. I bought 2 of mine along with all my attachments on E-BAY, one I paid less than $200.00 for.

  11. #11ANDREW C2014-04-07 22:08

    Heres the one I made during slow time. Its a counterweight bolt off a 450 excavator with a pipe that it slides through and hits a pin on the end. Its a bit rude and crude but I made it for taking apart 850 excavators for transport. It is a twenty pound bolt and I can hit harder and longer than with a 20lb sledge. I would love it though if the bolt didnt slide out all the way when you miss judge how long the bolt is. I wish I could have found one for $200 because all the prices I was getting were over $700!

  12. #12Dozerboy2014-04-08 13:34

    They are pretty handy especially in tight areas.

  13. #13Deeretracks2014-04-08 14:06

    I used a 4' long piece of 2" CR when I used to move our EX700 all the time. Sledges are the devil from a ladder.

  14. #14excavator2014-05-07 15:55

    There is currently a 21lb, 46" SlideSledge on E-BAY for $299.00 OBO Buy it Now. Considering that I think they go for a bit over $800.00 that's not a bad price. Another thing I discovered awhile back is that 10 ton porta power accessories have the same ID as Slide Sledge, so you can use them to add length or what ever you want, it adds a lot of versatility. I used mine awhile back to break loose a couple of hydraulic hose fittings that were difficult to get at.

  15. #15simonsrplant2014-05-07 16:10

    Good find, cheers for that... If I wasn't tied up on trying to get moved I'd probably offer the bloke on both, he has a shorter model too with a few heads.

  16. #16hillbillywrench2014-05-08 23:03

    They look pretty handy to me. I've driven pins out with a splitting-maul and a piece of old shaft from a disc (It took two of us and one of us didn't speak english.) Being able to use solo would be a big plus. Regarding the finger-pinching post: We used shopbuilt slide-hammers alot in a factory years ago (small, 2 lb weight, threaded into vise-grips) to pull pins etc. Worked great. Until operator let his little finger slip past the finger guard, Whack, Whack, Whack, thunk... OWWW. I can't imagine what a 20 pounder would do! BTW, He was fine, bruised ego, purple nail, and sore finger. But we had to use Purchased, Safety Approved hammer kits after that. They were a PITA and didn't work for some of our specialized needs.

  17. #17theironoracle2014-05-09 18:16

    I bought one and it rolled around in my service truck for years and it just became a tool I didn't use very much, probably won't go in my new truck? great in theory and well built.....TIO

  18. #18excavator2014-05-09 18:52

    I don't use mine a lot but when I do I'm sure glad I have it. Awhile back I was changing out the rotary manifold on an EX200-3 and the hoses had never been off. The two closest to the cab don't leave much room for a full grown man and stuck fittings can make for a miserable day. I had made a C shaped end for my slide sledge that would fit over a wrench. Two or three good hits and the fittings were loose. Made my day much easier.

  19. #19Mike L2014-05-10 08:23

    tio, any interest in selling your slide sledge?