I'm right well chuffed about this one. I had to find a crack in a fuel tank in one of our KW's. It wasn't obvious. I remember talking with a plumber friend and he said they use just 3psi to test tanks. Well, I'd thought I'd give it a try and cut a 8"x8" section around the stem of an old innertube and used a hoseclamp to put it in place. Added some air and with a little soap and water, the crack showed itself. Today I had to weld a crack around the bunghole of a Hyd tank on another KW. I didn't want to take the tank off, especially on a Saturday. I pressurized the tank to find the extent of the crack and welded it. I checked it again with pressure to find the smallest of weeps at the end of the weld. Another zap and test and I was done. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Looks like a good idea.
also works KILLER for priming fuel systems. DO NOT go over 3psi though.
RobVG, Good thinking out of the box tool. Will try to keep that one in memory banks for future use! Dualie, What you don't want to add a couple gallon capacity to the fuel tank?
More like you dont want to blow every oring out of the fuel system. ask me how i know...
how do you know?? :falldownlaugh
well some times when frustration meets aggravation on a fury of lack of Patience a young but well meaning hand puts 30PSI into the tank without thinking of exactly how much force hes actually imparting on the system. Then the fuel starts squirting out of the damnedest places. Oh this was on an HEUI system also, so it was more than your average fuel system oring replacement...
When you need JUST a few MORE gallons of capacity... A valve stem will fit nicely inside a female "coupler nut" from a garden hose (or garden hose mender) and screw onto a hose bib, or "mostly fit" onto a 3/4" pipe thread, especially if one is plastic. Don't ask me what that will do to an outdoor wood boiler.
I once saw a fuel cooled ECM case crack from over pressure trying to bleed the system this way, I think it was a 3176 Cat. Funny part was the boss was the one who did it! At least I learned from the experience from the other side of the shop, but wasn't a very friendly day after that!
Now that's a good idea!
Yes 3 psi max our welder tryed welding a pinhole in his weld on a new tank he made while under pressure with hyd oil in it couldn't figure out why the pin hole turned into a crack
Local phone company has a neat tool has a valve stem in a rubber sleeve about 4" long and 2 1/2" diameter have used it for lots of stuff