I was working on my project Cat 426 (Serial 7BC1596) today. During my underneath inspection of why the brakes don't work I discovered the left axle seal is leaking. I need to fix this before I move her to my land. Has anyone here done this? Can you offer any advice? The axle appears to have to be removed and the housing separated to be able to remove the axle. I would expect the bearings may be the root cause. I am going to do both sides while I have the axle out. A second question....The brakes are inside this same housing. I don't have any experience with heavy equipment nor do I with this type of brake system. Should I replace the brake discs while I am in there? My gut says yes. I want to order everything in order to minimize the amount of time I have the axle apart. I appreciate any and all advice.
Nobody has ever done this?
Some of us need to sleep i will see what I can see on SIS.
Need to sleep? You mean you don't monitor this place 24/7? Any help on insight will be appreciated.
Well I'll attach what shows on SIS for the rear axle and you can figure out if this tells you anything. I've never laid a hand on a 426 so that the best I can offer! Does not look like a one morning job!
Thank you for that. I have been an auto mechanic and now am the technical expert for a major car company. Been doing this professionally for 35 years. I am not scared to do this. Just compared to a car this is heavy and obviously different than any auto or light truck rear end. so it looks like to replace the seal the bearing need to be replaced. my other question is would you replace the brake discs and/or steels? Not sure what the life expectancy is for this style brake.
I'd have 2 brake rod boot seals (#43), 8 brake disc (#34) (find out if they're returnable if not used), both axle seals (#3) and both housing oring seals (#27). Drain axle Drop driveshaft Disconnect and tie up brake actuator parts. Raise back on outriggers Remove tires Lower machine Unbolt axle from frame Raise machine Slide axle out Mount one tire and stand axle on tire Rig to upper axle flange Unbolt and lift off Remove brake housing Proceed to axle retainer and undo If bearings are compromised (and won't slide off axle), preload shims (#22) may need added or removed to set bearing preload. Most times, the bearings are fine. The brake disc labor doing them later is higher than their price to install them while axle is out.
I am considering replacing the brake discs. But they are $85/ea and I would need 8. Aftermarket they are under $20. Any reason not to use the aftermarket ones? The brand is CTP.