Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leaking Torque Converter Seal

D-man ยท 2026-04-09 17:00

CAT D5M 1998 CR00520 Noticed small drip at rear of Torque convertor. Question. Should I just remove and replace seal, or could this be a sign of a larger issue?

Replies6
  1. #1John C.2026-04-10 01:36

    The seal is probably the least expensive thing to do. Have you had any overheating problems?

  2. #2D-man2026-04-11 09:58

    John, I was having some overheating problems earlier. But did not run the dozer until the issue was repaired.

  3. #3John C.2026-04-11 10:33

    Then I would likely just replace the seal and go back to work.

  4. #4D-man2026-04-11 18:54

    I will give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

  5. #5Shimmy12026-04-11 18:58

    Do we even know exactly what's leaking? Is it the output shaft seal, the scavenge screen, a line connection, or something else? Just saying "a seal at the rear" is pretty vague.

  6. #6D-man2026-04-14 21:21

    It appears to be the rear hub cover. Thank you