I have a '91 John Deere 490D. earlier this summer it started puking excessive grease out of the turntable. It was a little runny which I thought was strange, but its been a very hot summer so I didnt worry about it to much. This problem then ceased for a month or so and everything was fine until a couple days ago it started leaking oil. I checked my swing motor and it was low so Ive been having to add about a pint a day for the last couple days to keep it on the stick. So, I'm thinking pinion seal, possibly bearing on the swing motor? Pull swing motor out the top, replace and re-install? Any one with any advice, tips and experience doing such thing would be appreciated, thanks
My EX120 did the same thing. It was the swing transmission seal. Pretty straightforward repair, lift it out the top. Use 50wt motor oil to refill if I remember right, which I sometimes don't.
So, it has finally gotten to cold to work and we are running through the equipment, fixing stuff that needs to be fixed which was mainly the leaking turn table. I decided to pull this little cover of and see what I could see.. And look, its Pandora's box! I dipped a little magnet in there and was pulling out alot of these...any ideas? there were also little bits of rubber. and so the fun begins......................
It's hard to ID all the pieces in the picture but most look like parts of the large flat retaining ring that holds the seal in place.
I just went through this same problem...minus the ugly pieces of metal. On my pc200-3 the swing motor seal went, which sort of pressurized the swing gear case....which in turn blew the swing seal. This caused the gear oil to fill up the turntable very rapidly. On a komatsu there are 2 bearings and a race which need a 100 ton press to remove from the shaft to replace the $39 swing seal. Not sure on a Deere, but those bearings can sometimes be difficult and are about $800 each. I have been told that if it's just the swing case seal leaking guys have been known to remove the gear oil and fill the case with grease. Not sure if that's a good idea or not. But it sure would be easy, lol.
Hi guys... any body can help me, SK300 KOBELCO, I need to adjust the negative control pressure, Somebody know a procedure?
Great, thanks Blooper! All those metal pieces are all pretty uniform and look to be a snap ring of some sort. They are all pretty flimsy and none of them resemble a gear, which is good. Hopefully I can pull the swing motor and fish all that junk out of there. Is the hollow area of the Turntable supposed to be dry of oil and just packed with grease or?
Yes just grease, build one of willie's suck buckets to clean out oil, pull swing gearbox and seal will be leaking. We just did a JD790D swing housing replacement ,we had to change seal and wear ring and we were able to save lower bearing. Good luck.
I am not familiar with a 490, but there sould be a lower plate on the bottom just like the one on the top to clean the grease out of the pinion area, remove that and swing the machine in bolth directions and it will push out a good share of the goo. Lee
I made a little scraper tool that I could slide along the bottom and push everything around while swinging the machine. Pushed it all to the side with the hole. Had to make a few rounds but it cleaned out not to bad. Took allot of grease to fill it back up again though. THat was on a 270. I assume there's a drain hole on yours as well though. Ryan
Yes there is a inch and a half drain hole. I drained what I could, but am figuring once we have the swing motor out I'll be able to muck it all out of then.
So, got the seal replaced. Re-installed everything. no leaks, went to pull out of shop, rotated about 40 degrees and it stops. No response on the joy sticks! everything else works fine. (boom in out, curl, tracks. The swing just wont swing. its not binding or drawing the motor down or anything. So, pulled it all back apart and everything appears to be how it should. Planetary moves freely. My only guess from here is that it air locked the swing motor? I dont see what else it could be....How about some ideas
Does it only rotate one way? or does it rotate both ways and stop at 40 degrees. Check the crossover reliefs for bad sealing orings.
I found the problem. It just wanted more $$$$$$ The thread is here
hello guys I need some help I just recently finish getting my ex200-2 to function but it was only for a few weeks today I notice that in the swing motion when I am about to stop the whole machine shake and jerky. do you have any ideas what could be causing this to happen.
You could check the Lock Bar and see if it has a broken tab or something. Look under the boom at the swing motor, it will have a bar that comes off the swing motor and has two tabs on the super structure that holds it from going right or left. If it has excessive slop it could potentially cause jerkiness...kind of a long shot, but something to check anyway. good luck!
I believe the lock bar is for the swivel not rotation group.
Thank for your answer, I am looking at my service manual and its telling me that the jerk am getting is related to my swing damper valve but I took it out and clean it up, and it was in a mess but after reinstallation it was still jerky
Hey guys as soon as I finish getting my hitachi ex200-2 hydraulics to work a few weeks later I started noticing some areas that needs looking at, as I have mention above about the heavy jerk I was having at the end of my swing well I got that fix, what I did was disassemble the swing damper valve and did some cleaning again, paid some attention to the electrical plug well some cleaning removing the build up grease so that I can get full contact then reinstall and whala it work reducing that jerk by 90 percent. Now this is the last area I have to look at and I need some help from everyone. When my front attachment boom, arm are in a downward motion if I am moving regular operation speed it fall uncontrollably shaking, jerking the complete machine and this happen with or without load. What could be causing this
The dash 2 is a grey market machine and the first one that Hitachi put a computer in.The ones that we got here were jerky and hard to control.They would literally throw you out of the seat. Has someone messed with the pump angle sensor? There is a little spring clip that holds the sensor *** and if that is ****ed up then the machine will be really jerky.The only fix is to replace it with a new one. Also check the differential pressure sensor on the main control valve. These machines can be a real pain in the ass if you don't know the system. My advice is to pay the local Deere / hitachi dealer to come with his Dr. X and check the system. One bad sensor can throw the whole system out of whack or a bad wiring harness and this thing is full of bad sensors . Since you live on an island, the salt air can really screw up your wiring. Be careful and disconnect all of your harness connectors and spray them with WD-40. But then again it could be your swashplate sticking in the main pump.If the hydraulic oil is old then that is a distinct possibility.If it is the colour of cocacola then you got problems. I hate to discourage anyone trying to resurrect old iron but this thing will drive you nuts.
Hey Joeblow thanks a lot man I am the one working on my machine I gave architecture a rest to learn how to deal with this beast because I cant find help on this island. This machine was in a mess don't even want to move so I replaced the A ,P, N, DP sensors, complete harness, the two cylinder and swash plate in the main pump, also the two computers. Now it can do a lot stuff now its just that uncontrollable front attachment that have me going. You mention a spring in the angle sensor but I don't think I have seen that around should that have come with the new one that I recently installed. I will have a look at this differential pressure sensor in my manual to see what I can get out of it. I will let you know the out come.
The spring that I am talking about is a clip that keeps the angle sensor from moving around too much.Pull out the angle sensor and you can pull it out with an o ring pick.one way to check is If you swing with the arm all the way out it will kind of lope.By that I mean it will pick up speed and then slow down over and over. You also have to adjust the angle sensor to 4.5Volts at full swash.If you tie into the harness at the angle sensor with the red/yellow wire as positive and the black as negative with a volt meter and then take the wires from the pump solenoids and cross the two ,that will take it to full swash.(engine at idle). Bump up the pilot pressure 100 PSI and you should be good to go. There is a holding valve on the boom section that may be sticking giving you your boom drop problem. When you pull on the stick for boom up does it drop a little before going up ?