Ok gents, I thought I was a better mechanic, but I'm not. Here's my story. Rebuilt the injection pump on my 86 580c diesel. Fired it up and ran great, until I noticed a pretty good stream of drips coming from the fuel rail...Round 1, no problem just didn't tighten enough, strike 2...Round 2, pull the assembly off to inspect. Looks like the incoming grommet to T fitting is a bit beat up. No problem, order a new set from Elmers and carefully install those, strike 3!!! it's still pissing fuel from the incoming T fitting. I know it's something I'm screwing up. Seems like the grommet is in the correct position? I ordered new T fitting in the hopes that the oem ones don't want to play nice , so fingers crossed. Or maybe you good guys have some other thoughts/ guidance ? D
That is the return side of the fuel system. Make sure the lines going back to the tank have no restrictions but that's not too likely if it doesn't stop running after a little bit. It does look like the grommet is in the right spot. I don't see a crack on the t- fitting or anything blatantly wrong. How tight are you tightening the nut? Maybe the new Tee will help
Be sure to assemble it with the rubber already in the nut.. Just use a pocket screwdriver to ease it in.. if the nut just slips over the rubber, u have the wrong size.. it SHOULD take a little finessing to get it into the nut.. Oh, and the T's have been known to split.. Good luck
When the new T's arrive I will verify fitment. I believe they come with grommets already installed which will leave my ham handed attempt out of the equation.
I did check the return line to tank and it appears to be clear. How tight? Maybe a full turn after running them up by hand.
If they come with the new grommets make sure to do as Pump guy says and load them in the nut before trying to tighten them.
It looks as though they are set in place already. I hope so, because it lessens my ability to screw the grommets up ;-)
I’ve replaced 1000’s of injectors and none of them came with grommets or “T’s”..
You're correct the new injectors did not come with grommets or the T's. I guess it's part of the engine injector pump assembly...Pic included
Now don’t that look all spiffy, and wierd!
Can one of you gentlemen tell me what the return line pressure should be? Couldn't find it in my manual..D
They don’t give a “pressure”spec.. they do give a return “flow” in cc’s.. taken off the top of the pump at full load speed.
Thanks...I'm going leave off the last fitting that goes to the tank, stick a measuring cup underneath and see what I get in 15 seconds>>>stay tuned
The pressure of the return lines should be as close to zero as possible. Since it is open to tank. It should be just a trickle or less from the injectors, but the pump returns a fair bit. That tee and grommet system on Deere is a bunch of junk. I did one of these a while back, replaced all the tees as well. They were pretty beat up.
200-500 cc/min @ 2100rpm DIRECTLY OFF THE TOP COVER..
What’s the problem ur having.?? Leaks and u think its to much pressure.??
The issue was the rail to injector T connections were pissing fuel like a faucet...Tried new grommets, new compression nuts...Nada, still pissing. Someone on here suggested the problem mat lie in the T's. So that's what I did, order 4 sets of new T's with new grommets, nuts and a new bible as my prayers to the case Gods weren't helping...Low a behold installed the new sets and....No leaks!!! Could have knocked me over with a feather...Thanks to all for the assistance...D