Hello All, I just purchased a backhoe. It's old, I don't know much about them other than what I have seen done with them. I purchased an IH 3400A for $4K. I needs some TLC. I'm a machinist so...nuthing much I can't fix on there. To my point...SAFETY. I've been around long enough to know that what you don't know will bite you in the butt quickly. I plan to only use the backhoe aroundmy property but...still...SAFETY FIRST. Don't want to hurt myself or anyone else. What that said.... again...SAFETY.... What is the best way to learn to operate a backhoe ? I don't suppose there are safety courses on that, are there ?? I could pay a good operator to come over and teach me the do's and don'ts. No sense in making mistakes to learn from them. Sometimes that hurts and costs money as well. But it's not funny. I'm sure some people have died before their time Operating these machines, let's do our best to be prepared for each job we do. Any thoughts ?? I only have 4 acres and I plan to use the machine for jobs around the house and to lighten my personal work load. I have a pond and will probably dig another one (small) but I plan to use it's versatility for a number of jobs I want to do. Loading, lifting, pushing bulkheads down into the ground...who knows. Thanks for any input, Gene
safety makes good sense. Always ensure everything works correctly, including the drivers seat, the brakes work on both wheels, there is no excessive play in any of the excavator pins.Ensure the tyres are of equal wear, windscreen wipers work, horn, everything.If you get out of the machine, always ground your digging bucket never leave it off the floor.Finally get yourelf a good operator who can drive your type of machine, Watch and learn and all the very best of luck to you
I would add to always wear your seatbelt. It may seem like a small thing, but it is hard to control your machine if you fall out of the seat on rough ground. If you have an accident, don't try to jump out, as more people have been killed that way than by staying put. When you park and exit the machine, it is a good habit to not only lower all implements to the ground, but also set the brake. The most likely way to be injured on a mchine is a fall getting on or off. Be sure to never be in a hurry and always use 3 points of contact. 2 hands while you are moving a foot, 2 feet while you move a hand. It has saved me more than once. When using your machine, start out slowly and learn to be smooth. Smooth is the best and fastest way, and does not hurt your machine. Do not be in a hurry to get things done quickly. Remember it is easier to do it once slow and correct than twice fast and sloppy. When learning the controls, and getting practice at it, do so in a safe area clear of all people and obstructions. When you start to operate it, each time you start up, cycle each function in both directions prior to using it. Then you know all is working right. Before you get started, if you can find one, get an operators manual for your machine and study it. Sometimes Ebay is a good source for old manuals. Good luck to you, and stay safe!
When you are moving material with the front bucket, keep it low to the ground. A big rock in the corner of that front bucket is another situation that you need to keep your hand on the control lever in case you have to drop the hoist in hurry. When you have the front bucket in a very high position and are moving the machine be VERY careful with it. You will be amazed how easy it is to tip over.
KIDS! Make sure that you know who is near the machine at all times. Kids (and sometimes adults) love to walk up to machines while they're running. I'd like to add to Jerry's good advice about lowering the implements: once the implements are on the ground and the engine is off, give each of the controls a pull so that the implement settles to it's lowest possible position - kids like to climb into machines when they're parked and play with the controls. I worry that a kid playing with the controls could cause an implement to settle or shift and injure someone in the process (maybe I'm a little paranoid on this one). When you're operating the "hoe", use one function at a time while you're getting the feel of it. If you get into trouble or panic while using the hoe, let go of the controls. There's a lot of good info here on HEF. Search the forums and don't forget to post pictures of your backhoe.
Find your under ground power/ water/sewer systems and be carefull of low power lines if you have them, call your nocuts before you dig, mount a min 5lb fire on the machine, along with a smv sign on the rear. Eye contact is a must and people have a hard time staying away, people show up when you least expect them even in a 4 acre yard, this goes for pets also, make plans for a safety area and enforce it. Wear your safety glasses.
Man this is great stuff !! I watched a few safety videos last night but people seem to be more interested inseeing someone get a backhoe onto a rail car without a ramp. I have allot of tractor time and ran a 28 ton Grove for a while. If anything transfers from that experience it is knowing your limits and the limits of the machine. A good operator can get away with much more than a newbie. For some of these drivers/operators, it's like the hoe is an extension of their own body (I'm like that with my motorcycles ). I'll never get that good but, being safe and able to do a variety of jobs is what I am after. As I type this, I am looking out of my kitchen windows and planning what I can dig up. LOL Does anyone wish to share any close call they had ? And thanks for all the safety advice, especially, securing the HOE, Grounding it, Brakes, checking controls, taking care borading and exiting the machine, etc... Everything else is imporant as well but those definitely stuck in my mind so far. I'll be back for some more reading and advice. I am in the process of getting my machine up to speed (brakes, swing cylinder leak, rewire the dash, replace a few hoses and tigntening up some of the looseness. Thanks everyone for your input and willingness to share your experience !!
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx247/stock--/IH3800-1.jpg?t=1336923153 Get a soccer ball and tie it to the dipper with about 6 foot free play, then practice picking it up, it'll teach you to float the bucket flat on the ground which it where you need to start as digging or grading starts from here. It's a trick I have used to great success over the years when we were allowed to teach people on site at lunch time. To operate safely take you time "Most haste less speed " is one to bear in mind. Watch others see what tricks they use, I operate very little now but still watch others to see how they do it and if there is anything I can learn and that after thirty years or so operating....... If you have the model in the picture then she will be short on safety features, remove the key when you get off, lay everything on the ground including the legs when you leave the seat. Never trust hydraulics they can and do fail and as she is a tad long on the tooth the hoses may be perished and lead them to failing with out warning. I could go for hours but take it slow keep her well looked after and you be fine...............
Hi All, From a TLB-Owner Wannabe, I really appreciate all these tips. I'm doing what a lot of you have probably already done - my homework. And I have so much to learn. Anyway thanks. As soon as I am able to post a new thread, I'l introduce myself. Again thanks. rc
make sure it has the neutral start switch working, always go backwards down steep hills