Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LED flashlights are a cruel joke

RobVG · 2017-12-13 20:42

Can't see manure with them no matter how many lumens they are. Incandescent light gives the most contrast, I think its the color. I searched but didn't find a flashlight thread. Any recommendations for mag base compact incandescent "torch" ?

Replies36
  1. #1excavator2017-12-13 21:11

    My latest rechargeable Maglight is LED and it works great, day or night.

  2. #2willie592017-12-13 21:33

    I posted a thread a few years ago about a rechargeable light that I found at Home Depot. I've been using them for a couple of years now and absolutely love them, they've been the best work light I have ever worked with even though they're LED. I wouldn't trade one of them for a truck load of incandescent light bulbs again. > HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3RobVG2017-12-13 21:41

    So no one sees a difference between LED's and incandescents?

  4. #4JD955SC2017-12-13 21:44

    I see the color difference but it doesn't bother me...provided it's a good quality light. Cheap junk LED lights on the other hand, I hate the harsh light from them, not to mention the reliability issues

  5. #5willie592017-12-13 21:52

    Oh I don't disagree at all Rob, yes there's a difference in color, but I'm tellin' ya, even though I prefer the light provided by a "bulb", after using the Defiant lights I got from Home Depot, at least for a work light, for pretty much every day for the last couple of years there's no way I'd trade one for a bulb light. No way no how.

  6. #6JTWAT2017-12-13 21:54

    Take a look at he Streamlight Strion LED rechargeable. I have used the same one for over 5 years and have had zero problems with it. Holds a long charge and is bright. Have dropped it, kicked it and got it wet.

  7. #792U 34062017-12-13 22:08

    I had a Streamlight Stylus Pro USB rechargeable flashlight. About the length of a pen. That sucker could put some light out. Need to buy another one since mine grew legs.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2017-12-13 22:18

    I have (had since I think I left it on a job site, will remember to get it back some day) a 3 D cell mag light with a single LED. That thing is so bright it is useless at night to walk around the yard because it ruins your night vision from the light coming back off whatever you are pointing it at. You can shine it down an injector or spark plug hole in broad daylight and see the top of the piston clearly. I wish I had not left it lying there as I packed up in a hurry....

  9. #9John C.2017-12-14 00:16

    Cheap LED lights have real bad switches and they bleed off the batteries without being on. Forget about the little pocket lights in the clearance bin by the register at Home Depot and buy a little more expensive light. Not too much more expensive because they get lost easy and often.

  10. #10kshansen2017-12-14 09:03

    Be care full with those lights with magnets. Sure they are handy you can stick them some place inside a housing to make working nice and easy. Like inside the chain box on a JCB Skid Steer. Every now and then I wonder if anyone has found that light! I think the batteries are dead by now, been about three years gone by! Then there was the one I stuck to the inside of the frame on a 988H to make working on the starter easier. Looked all over for that one for about a year. Then there was another problem down by the starter and guess what I found?

  11. #11RobVG2017-12-14 10:29

    Yes hansen. I have a few magnetic lights that have alot of miles on them.

  12. #12farmerlund2017-12-14 11:01

    Hey RobVG, Do you have any color blindness? I am blue green color blind and some kinds of light look strange to me. doesn't really bother, just looks weird to me.

  13. #13funwithfuel2017-12-14 20:36

    I used a very small single LED dive light for near 10 years. I think it was made by coast. It's sasfety yellow,has a lanyard and ridiculously bright for 4AAA .Light never diminshed, lense got cloudy from chemicals and brake clean. Polished right up and still in service. If you wanna know what lights I hate... Today's modern headlights . I'd love to have DOT and NHTSA both do some serious night driving against those things, in the rain ! Whoever approved them for highway use should be castrated and forced to eat the remnants. But thats food for another thread

  14. #14RobVG2017-12-14 21:21

    Couldn't agree with you more about the headlights.

  15. #15Birken Vogt2017-12-14 23:06

    What headlights are you referring to? I have been out of driving since '12 or so but I absolutely hated those HID lights. Had them on a car also. They look like they should be bright enough but they just don't seem to return enough light off of the objects you are trying to see into your eyes. Give me big halogens any day. Although any more my night driving vision is not what it used to be, I try to get in before dark now.

  16. #16check2017-12-14 23:17

    My eyes are pretty toasted from welding and I can't see anything in the dark. LED's seem fine to me. Someone with good eyes might not like them.

  17. #17funwithfuel2017-12-16 15:21

    I dont appreciate the new LED and "signature lighting" or the projector beams either. They are absolutely blinding in the dark, add to that some rain, forget it. I wanna pull over and quit. I'm coming up on this new ford with stacked headlights. I give em a flick of the highbeams. He flashes his. No difference, just point of aim. So yeah i hate modern headlights

  18. #1892U 34062017-12-16 15:34

    I was always under the impression that vehicles are only allowed a maximum of 4 foreward facing headlights/fog lights. A lot of new vehicles (the new Superduty being a prime example) has 6 on at once when the driver turns on the fog lights. I will say though that if you compare the light output of the stock halogens on the new F150's with Ford's HID lights, the HIDs light up the road a lot better.

  19. #19Queenslander2017-12-16 16:13

    Despite automotive lighting technology advancements in recent years, authorities here seem to be striving to put as much highly reflective crap beside the road as possible... almost need sunglasses when driving at night. It is particularly dangerous when approaching some nightworks when you’re faced with so much reflected and flashing light it’s difficult to make out workers on the roadside.

  20. #20Birken Vogt2017-12-16 17:18

    Agreed with the above. With the addition that they seem to like to put the light tower lights aimed right into oncoming traffic as well to really blind 'em.

  21. #21RobVG2017-12-18 20:58

    I'm not color blind but I think incandescents give better contast because they are true color.

  22. #22John C.2017-12-18 22:28

    That probably works for you until the fluid in your eyes starts to change color when you get older. That yellow cast the incandescents give out isn't real bright and it makes it hard to see much of anything somewhere between 55 and 60.

  23. #23willie592017-12-18 23:50

    John C, I really didn't need you to remind me of that, but oh well, like the tune by the Rolling Stones, Mothers Little Helper, "what a drag it is getting old". LMAO

  24. #24John C.2017-12-19 00:29

    I apologize for that post. But the extra white light from the LED lets me find stuff I dropped on the ground and hides between the gravel. You young guys need to work with some yellow tinted safety glasses to get the affect of old and tired eyes.

  25. #25willie592017-12-19 20:50

    Oh, no need to apologize, I'm right there with you with old eyes that have suffered too many years of all manner of building trades dust, mud, concrete, grease, oil, antifreeze, various aerosol sprays that went sideways, oh, grinding torching and welding. Now days when I'm in the shop one of the first things I grab is the work light, because I'm going to need it.

  26. #26sandy2017-12-21 05:55

    the big problem with these led flashlights is the powerful magnets left another one attached to a transmission this week. wasn't until the next day when i was looking for it, not worth a 2 hour drive to see if its still there b too much of a hurry packing up and off to the next job

  27. #27Tinkerer2017-12-21 07:02

    I didn't realize how yellow the world had turned ---- until I had cataract surgery. I was absolutely stunned the next day after I had the first eye done. After the second eye was done, it was another amazing thing to see everything like it really is.

  28. #28DMiller2017-12-21 07:17

    I have a Streamlight Polytac, not rechargeable uses the expensive 3v lithium batteries but last for literally months under hard use. Can see fine with it and has a absolutely harsh directed beam I can see out to around fifty yards clear. Fits a pant or jacket pocket great and is bright yellow so hard not to see it laying around.

  29. #29thepumpguysc2017-12-21 08:58

    I have 2 "pocket style" lites I use.. 1 off the snap-on truck & it says "Coast G20" on it.. VERY brite w/ a push button on the end w/ a pocket clip.. non adjustable beam BUT its the "go-to lite".. The stream of lite it puts out ISNT SO BTITE you cant see what your looking at, like a lot of lites the "kids" carry these days & it takes 2 AAA batteries that seem to last along time. The other is from the Kimble-Midwest vender.. it about the size of a pack of cigs but 1/2 as slim.. Has 2 setting & a powerful magnet on the base.. GREAT for extended periods of adjusting things.. just stick it about anywhere & go to work.. no model stamped on it.. just sayd Kimble-Midwest.

  30. #30PJ The Kid2017-12-21 09:50

    I actually wear yellow tinted glasses in low light conditions quite often. I like them for nights on the motorscooters as well.

  31. #31still learn'n2017-12-21 11:26

    I have the Streamlight Stinger that I use around the farm and I love it rechargeable and have an extra battery so just pop the dead one out and put it on charger and pop the new one in good to go. I also have the holster for it and would recommend that to go with it for a very nice accessory. https://www.tooltopia.com/streamlight-75612.aspx Flashlight kit https://www.tooltopia.com/streamlight-75927.aspx Holster For working on equipment at work I have how many of the Ecco work lights that work very well for me except when as already been said they get left on equipment. https://www.ebay.com/i/281893404804?chn=ps I get the camo one cause I don't need a red light like the all black one has.

  32. #32thepumpguysc2017-12-21 12:10

    100.00 + $.. ?? I pay less than 25.00 or its not coming home w/ me.. Unless I was working in a mine shaft w/ ABSOLUTLY NO LIGHT.. & even THEN, I'd have to think about it..

  33. #33still learn'n2017-12-21 19:54

    How much does the home Depot check out counter ones cost?

  34. #34walkerv2017-12-21 23:59

    i have a milsuckee 18 volt that i put the led light in what a difference, i dont mind incandecants but i dont like all the shadows it makes when triing to find and fix things up in the belly of a dozer or other machine pluss i only have to charge battery once a week if i use it alot

  35. #35hvy 1ton2017-12-22 01:28

    I have Streamlight Protac 2L. Uses 2 CR123 batteries. I've had it 3-4 years and it's been flawless other than it getting clipped to an electric fence for a few days. That was probably my fault anyway. Also had to program it to low/high so I couldn't engage rave/seizure mode.

  36. #36check2017-12-22 10:00

    Most flashlites nowadays you have to carry the owners manual with you, they're as complicated as a cell phone. All I want a flashlite to do is shine light when I turn it on and turn off when I switch it off. They should have a hexagonal head so they don't roll off whatever surface you set them on and the switch should be easy to find with one hand in the dark. If someone is shooting at me at night when I'm using my flashlite, my options are to drop it and run, hoping it doesn't fall pointing in the direction I'm escaping, or I can turn it off. Most of these new lights are damn frustrating to turn off. You can't find the switch, and when you do, you press it and it goes to dim mode or blinkety blink mode. Once I finally memorize how to operate the damn thing, it breaks and the replacement operates differently. A very popular bad idea is a lite switch in back of the lite. Sure, it's easy to find, but my thumbs are mounted on the front of my hands so unless I'm holding the light way up high over my head, the light is pointing in back of me. The people who design the dadgum things must be related to the idiots who design cars these days.