Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lee-online Need your help

inyati13 ยท 2011-07-25 05:46

Lee I know you can help on this question about replacing oil pump on Cat 3046T engine. I posted this thread but no one gave a good answer. Where is the oil pump on a Cat D3G 2005 3046T 6 cyl engine and how hard is it to replace?

Replies11
  1. #1TOM V2011-07-25 07:11

    The oil pump on 3046 engine is mounted on the front of the engine under the front housing, there is also a bushing behind the pump that should be inspected or replaced while apart. Good luck.

  2. #2inyati132011-07-25 17:05

    Tom, thanks. I am not at the point of replacing the pump yet. I have been getting eratic readings from my oip pressure guage. At start-up when the ignition switch is turned to the first position that lights up the insturment panel, the oil guage goes all the way to 80 psi. Then it acts up until it settles down. I don't know if it is an electrical problem or a malfuction in the oil pump. I am planning on replacing the oil pressure switch and sender before I go further. Any comments?

  3. #3bobin352011-07-25 18:25

    install a tee at the sender and a mechanical gauge to check oil pressure lots cheaper than just throwing parts at it!

  4. #4Lee-online2011-07-25 18:49

    Correct, the pump is under the front cover. next to the crank gear. If the guage is acting up before the engine is started then it is an electrical problem. The oil pressure sensor is next to the oil filter.

  5. #5inyati132011-07-25 19:56

    Lee, the guage is acting up before the engine is started. Seems to be an electrical problem. Thanks.

  6. #6inyati132011-07-25 19:58

    Can I get a mechanical guage at a part store like NAPA?

  7. #7bobin352011-07-25 20:29

    yes you can,just use one that you would put in a dashboard on a car or whatever get one that goes to 80 psi so u can be sure not to peg the needle

  8. #8inyati132011-07-28 05:55

    Bobin35, got the mechanical pressure guage that is graduated to 100 psi at NAPA. Will put it on today. Thanks, Lee. Found the sensor (sender) and will insert the mechanical guage in that taped hole. Will let you know how the reading comes out. Ron

  9. #9inyati132011-07-28 13:42

    Attached the mechanical oil pressure guage. The oil pressure falls within a normal range and there is no erratic readings. So the problem is probably the guage or sender.

  10. #10bobin352011-07-28 14:23

    to test the gauge just ground the wire that was at the sender it should go up to top pressure smoothly

  11. #11inyati132011-07-30 05:27

    Replaced the sender and am getting normal steady oil pressure readings on the guage. The oil pressure runs at 40 psi during normal operation. When the engine is cold, the pressure is about 55 psi. After running a while and the temperature reaches its peak, it settles down to 40. At idle with the governor at its lowest position, it runs at 30. There are no spikes and the highest reading I have seen is about 58. I assume these pressures are normal.