I am trying to figure how the heck to get my belly pans back on. I was the one who took the off so I know I am using the same bolts. I put this rear pan back on and 5 minutes later it fell off, leaving the bolts still in the body. The bolts are smaller than the holes, so how does this pan stay on? The front of the pan has two small loops where the pan actually hangs from and then six bolts go through the holes to hang it. Problem is, the bolts don't have washers so there is nothing for them to grab on to. I have pictures but my iPad isn't letting me select them. Any ideas???
Never done a D5m, but the Cats I've seen, The guards had large holes in them, and there were large thick washers on the bolts. Are you sure the washers didn't stick to the pans and fall off later?
There should be a spacer and a washer on the bolt. The spacer fits in the hole on the pan and the washer will not pass therough the hole.
I looked when I took them off and there was spacers but I never saw washers. I do remember that the bolts were countersunk in so that they wouldn't catch on anything, but I can't imagine I misplaced 6 washers. I know this is a simple fix . Bugging the heck out of me though because i hate to run the machine without the belly plate.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/brandonbb_bucket/Dozer/eb260e11.jpg Try this link for belly pan pics http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/brandonbb_bucket/Dozer/f5efd63f.jpg http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/brandonbb_bucket/Dozer/8bb799b4.jpg
Did ya have all pans off and possibly have the front washers on the rear and rear on front?
I recently dropped the belly pans on my D3G. The hole in the pans is the same diameter as the bushing and a washer was on the head of the bolt. So the washer and the head of the bolt sticks down below the level of the pans. If yours were countersunk, then there is another technique being applied on the D5M.
Looking at your pictures, it seems strange that the holes in the pan are so large. I wonder if someone modified the pan. By the way, be careful that you don't get hurt if the the pan is coming down when you do not want it to. I am sure you know that. I was a little worried doing the pans on my D3G by myself. I know of a Whayne Mechanic who was killed here in KY when a pan on a D9 stripped the remaining 4 bolts he left in until he thought he could get out from under it. The weight of the pan and the debris on it exceeded the load the remaining 4 bolts could hold. PS. My rear belly pan has 12 bolts in it!
The rear pan was the only one that I tok off, so no confusion on the bolts. I may just get some large washers and possibly some longer bolts and just have the heads stick down on the pan. In the pictures you can see the bolts with washers and the spacers.
That isnt the factory hardware. The bolts and spacers are way too long and the washer is too small and thin. Does the bolt say Cat on it? The spacer is just thick enough (about 3/4" thick) to hold the pan up against the frame but not clamp it tight so when it bends it doesnt shear the bolts.
Thanks Thanks for the post, I was getting frustrated with trying to figure it out so I took a little trip to tractor supply, and found some washers that fit exactly into the recesed holes and bought them. It took about 20 minutes to get that heavy ol pan back up. But, I finally got it and was crashing through some brush shortly after. By the way I had no idea so many bolts on this cat were metric! I need to update my big sockets with metric!
Why don't you look at the parts diagram and buy the proper parts from Cat so you don't get hurt or the pans falls off in the mud somewhere.