Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Left front tire pulling rear tire not on CASE 1845C

69zfarmer ยท 2012-06-09 06:46

I have a later model 1845C.Yesterday i noticed front left tire was the only one pulling on left side.I know the front tires are connected to the hydraulic motors and the rear is driven by a chain from the front.I have not had time to pull the inspection plate to see if the chain is broke.The parking brake dogs that catch when you move the lap bar up have never released right and you always had to move foward or reverse to get them to release when parked on a slope.My nephew used the machine alittle yesterday and i am wonderning if he tried to move it without the parking brake released.If he did could it have caused my wheel drive problem?

Replies17
  1. #1alrman2012-06-09 07:52

    No, trying to drive against the park brake will not cause anything as you have described. BTW - if it is on a hill, what you have described to move it - is perfectly normal. You might have slightly different diameter tyres on it?? Usually if any chain is broken the machine is inoperable. P.S. Good idea to check the chain tensions.

  2. #2stumpjumper832012-06-09 09:15

    alrman is correct, thats perfectly normal for an 1845c's park brake system, its a pin that goes thru a sprocket and is retracted by a cable. if he drove the machine with the park brake engaged, no1 i doubt that it could overcome the brake, but if it did, there would be a mess. Check for a loose chain, also if you need a new chain, go to case and spend the money, their chains are stronger than the standard hardware store stuff if my memory serves me correctly.

  3. #3Bobcatdan2012-06-09 14:04

    I would guess the chain broke and landed in a way it didn't jam the loose wheel. I have seen this happen.

  4. #469zfarmer2012-06-11 06:49

    The chain broke and landed like Bobcatdan said.The axle bearing is bad on the rear wheel that the chain broke on.I am going to replace the bearings and seals before fixing the chain.The chain is a 80 HS Diamond brand and is in good shape.Can i put 2 masterlinks in it and be good to go?Will i have to slide the cab foward to repair this?

  5. #5alrman2012-06-11 07:02

    How much adjustment was there at the hub? If it is near maximum, best to fit a new chain. Most times only one link breaks, so only one master link would be needed. The cab was designed to slide forward to make repairs like this easier.

  6. #6Jbullfrog2012-06-12 08:46

    Connector links are not recomended in the drive chains, as they can come looose and cause major damage if they jam under a sprocket. The new chains are $130, I have one on the bench currently. It is worth it to not have to fish a chain onto the sprockets a second time.

  7. #7kshansen2012-06-13 20:06

    You don't have to move cab, but I would do it to make life easier on yourself. If you have the book that gives the procedure it does not take that long and then everything is much easier to work on. As for replacing the chain or fixing it I've done it both ways in the past win some loose some. As for the possibility of trying to move with park brake lock in gauged doing any damage. If the operator has half a brain he should realize his mistake before any damage would be done. That being said I have worked on an older 1845, maybe a "B" that operator apparently left his brain home in bed. He managed to rip the bushings for the park lock pins right out of the frame. Like they say make something idiot proof and they'll just find a better idiot.

  8. #869zfarmer2012-06-14 07:16

    Jbullfrog if the correct chain has no way of taking it apart how do you get it on the cluster sprocket without taking the front drive chain off because rear chain it is behind the front drive sprocket?Does the new chain have 80H of 80HS?Is it a Diamond brand chain?

  9. #9Jbullfrog2012-06-14 08:52

    You have to take the front off to put the rear on. I will look and see what size it is.

  10. #10alrman2012-06-14 17:48

    80H is the size. Diamond is usually what Case use - able to be purchased from bearing suppliers in 10' lengths (will make 2 chains so get a spare joiner) To fit an endless chain, you need to loosen the other chains & remove the cluster shaft, with the other two chains. Fit the new chain over the cluster, then juggle the cluster shaft into position - with the three chains attatched to it + don't forget to put the thrust washers into place in each side of the cluster gear. Now hook up the three chains & adjust. This repair take the best part of a day. If a new chain is fitted with a joiner link - without fileing the holes in the side plate of the link to make it easier to fit - & all sprockets are in good condition - they will run for years with everyday use - no problems. This repair can be done in about an hour. PS - You will save a fortune on band-aids because of the time & effort saved in the repair process .......

  11. #11kshansen2012-06-14 18:49

    They can be a bit of a fight to press on. I usually use a couple pair of vice-grips to work them on. Clamp one end tight, then the other. Then remove the first pair and adjust a bit tighter and clamp that one on and remove the other. A little slow but will work. Having the cab slid forward gives a little more elbow room.

  12. #12Jbullfrog2012-06-14 19:15

    It is 80HS

  13. #1369zfarmer2012-06-14 19:24

    Well i just ordered one from CASE that requires a masterlink.My reasoning for ordering is that it would be a 80HS if it comes in without the S i will be sick.I could have ordered a 10' roll of 80H USA made Drives brand for about the same price as the 5'6" piece from CASE.arlman are you sure 10' would make 2 pieces seems like mine measured almost 5'6".Any suggestions on fishing it on the cluster sprocket?If i get it started on the cluster can i roll the front wheel to turn cluster sprocket to get the ends of the replacement chain to meet?

  14. #14kshansen2012-06-14 19:38

    I believe if you have the cab moved all the way forward and both access covers off the one side it is not too bad working the chain around the gear. Seems like I put the chain in from the rear and just pushed it forward as far as I could then reached in from the front and flipped it over the cluster gear to the back. If the chain from the drive motor to the cluster gear is still on you are not going to turn the cluster gear by hand. I would not try doing it with the motor running as you can do serious damage to things if the nice new chain gets caught in the wrong place.

  15. #1569zfarmer2012-06-14 19:58

    I have the cab moved foward.I am going to replace the axle bearings and seals so i will have the axle housing opening exposed also.

  16. #16kshansen2012-06-15 15:04

    If you need any information out of the factory manual let me know I have the complete parts, service and operators manuals. They are at work so Monday would be the best time for me to get them.

  17. #1769zfarmer2012-06-16 06:27

    Thanks kshansen i am waiting on parts now.