Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

leibherr dozer

tdrainage ยท 2013-02-23 16:46

anyone out here had any experience with the Leibherr dozers? Looking at one for the hydrostatic drive feature

Replies36
  1. #1buckfever2013-02-23 18:59

    John Deere dozers are the same machine from the 750 (?) up to the 1050. So you can look for either, it's just that in my expirence Deere dealer support is much better. What size machine? Why are you looking at a hydro machine?

  2. #2alco2013-02-23 20:24

    I don't remember for sure right now......just slept all day for night shift and still in a haze.......but I believe the 750 and 850 are all Deere, and the 950 and 1050 are rebadged Liebherrs. From my personal experience, all I can do is say to run far away from a Liebherr dozer. My experience has shown them to be less than satisfactory. We had one in particular that we couldn't even keep running for a demo we took it on. That one was a 1050C.

  3. #3buckfever2013-02-23 21:27

    Not saying your wrong alco but I thought deere only built the 650 and 700. Liebherr built everything larger and mitsu. built everthing smaller. I could be wrong and my info. might be dated.

  4. #4ANDREW C2013-02-23 21:38

    The 950 and 1050c deere dozers were liebherr and the service of them were less than satifactory and "intresting" to work on. The crawler loaders were liebherr also. The deere dealer network were the only things good about them. John deere makes and have always made the 450-850, the new 950j and 1050j are deere built as well. The new crawler loaders are Deere build and we are having great success with our customers around here.

  5. #5tdrainage2013-02-24 08:55

    SAW A 932 LIEBHERR that seemed good for the money. But have never been around them. Several years ago had a 850C deere - was a strong machine but when hydro's got weak was cheaper to replace the dozer than repair/rebuild. My thoughts were to put a tile plow on it - the hydro drive seems more sensible than a direct or torque converter drive.

  6. #6SE-Ia Cowman2013-02-24 09:35

    My neighbor has a Deere 1050 c that he pulls a johnston plow with it works for him but he did leave the blade on and hung 2 one yard concrete blocks on the front to keep it down Here is a picture of a D8 I set up last fall with a Johnston mounted steerable plow it is my brother inlaws and he is very satisfied with it I would go cat if I were you just for parts and service. The mounted plow has hydraulic down pressure adjustment that helps a lot to keep the front end down and tracks running level. I got him some 36" offset pads and put ice cleats on them last week but he has not got them installed yet. I just called him to text me some more pictures I will post them as soon as I get them

  7. #7SE-Ia Cowman2013-02-24 10:31

    Here is another after 3 months of use

  8. #8tdrainage2013-02-24 13:54

    D8 seems like it would be too heavy to move on some roads - especially in the spring when they are posted for weight limit. I am trying to put together something for laterals only - very seldom will have anything over 3ft deep

  9. #9watglen2013-02-24 15:25

    If all you are looking to do is laterals under 3' a tire unit would serve you well. I have used a 270 and 340 magnum, both work well until you have to go deep. I recognize tracks are better when it gets wet. But there is a lot to be said for driving the plow home for lunch and fuel! On that note, I'm moving to a D6R for my work. But I am planning to work in all conditions, and not for myself. Up till now, the tractor plow has been good. I know guys with 8's and the comment is it works great till the ground gets soft, then she sinks and there is nothing you can do. Most guys i know have some sort of cleat installed, for the hard ground. And a lot depends on the soil you are dealing with. Rocks, clay, sand, soft bottom, and lay of the land all play into what design works best and what you can get away with. Ken

  10. #10tdrainage2013-02-24 20:12

    I know another contractor who put a plow on a D6R - seems to get along ok. I would think a D6 sized dozer would have as much or more traction to the ground than a 4wd tractor. Saw a youtube video showing a guy with a high track 9 with a plow - try moving that on your lowboy around the country roads...lol Seems to be a lot of older HD21 dozers with tile plows on them - anyone know why they are/were better than any other make?

  11. #11mestizo2013-02-24 20:21

    Deere builds the 450-850 in the US, 950/1050 J's are Liebherr built.

  12. #12watglen2013-02-24 20:40

    From what i understand, and ozdozer can explain this better, the hd21s were popular because they had a true torque converter tranny, compared to Cat's. The cat tractors had a more positive drive and were harder to control when you wanted to go really slow. Where the hd21 you could easily stall the tc at idle to go really slow and easy starting out in the hole. I had this conversation with a few other guys ....I will find and post. It makes it really clear Ken

  13. #1351kw2013-02-24 20:48

    I also was told Allis had the highest pressure hydraulics for faster plow response.

  14. #14watglen2013-02-24 20:48

    Here, check out this tread. Midway through you'll find a nice explantion of Cat vx Allis Ken

  15. #15Hendrik1002013-02-27 04:20

    Hi there I am looking for spesifications on Liebherr 996 hose on the booms, I have all the part numbers I need to know the hose and fittings onthe hoses . All 6 spiral with Tuiper cone flanges. 15617388 5617387 5612375 5612374 5614663 5612373 5614663 561358 1021890 5612380 5614658 100037926 Please help

  16. #16awful knawful2013-03-03 10:54

    We have a Deere 1050C here at a pulp mill for pushing chips. It is a pile of crap. The first year we put over $100 000 in repairs. It is now just a backup machine as we got a D8T. They just replaced a drive pump in the 1050 again and now the seals are leaking in the drives and they are filling with hydraulic oil. It overheats ALL the time, the heater sucks, air sucks. When it is working and not overheating it does work well. The Cat works well all the time. The Cat will be due for an overhaul soon. It has 19000 hours on it but works like new.

  17. #17steve.k2013-03-03 11:47

    How many hrs on 1050?I talked with a contractor in Toronto and he said he runs nothing but Liebehrr?He is a mechanic by trade and came from Toromont Cat.He figures the Liebehrr(JD) design is light years ahead of cat?Doesnt sound this way with you guys,and I dont think pushing chips is a stress on equipment!Does your company have a good maitenence program? Steve

  18. #18LDK2013-03-03 15:48

    I ran a Liebherr 734 last year for a few weeks and I liked it, I thought it was well put together and the hydraulics on it as good if not better than any dozer I was ever on. I think it was about 4 years old and the blade was still tight. This was in Russia and maintenance was as good as non existent. Before buying one I would want to know that the dealer back-up was going to be good. Russ

  19. #19steve.k2013-03-03 19:12

    Thanks LDK. I have been eyeing up these dozers for awhile and to me they look well built. Liebehrr is a big company and they usually don't get that big making junk? I understand they are the biggest crane manufacturer in the world.German technology usually is at the top of the heap and we know where their autos sit.i think because there is not many around North America people tend to shy away but after having very good success with the Fiat line we used I'm starting to look around alot closer! The tilt over cabs easy access to components and various other features I see that Jd has incorporated and now Cat and others following tells you something's about their designs. Good to hear your feedback thanks. Your work in Russia would interest me! I spent a few days in Moscow very interesting indeed. !Steve

  20. #20mikebramel2013-03-03 21:43

    Well if you listen to alot of these Komatsu is junk too. Nothing like having a yellow billboard on your machine to blend in

  21. #21steve.k2013-03-03 22:24

    I've been down the yellow road not gonna happen again!We have run nearly all brands and I can say we have had better luck with alot of machines besides the usual.

  22. #22Per Eriksson2013-03-04 02:52

    Pushing woodchips is a walk in the park for dozers, We had a D8N here that ran close to 40000 hours before they blew the engine, undercarriage and drive train was still untouched for the most part. It is now replaced with a CASE quadtrac and that thing is a beast, it is fast and even though it has a smaller blade it pushes more cubics/hour. The main reason for them trying it is noise levels, when the D8 reversed down the pile it woke the whole town up, the quadtrac almost has to have a backup beeper on it for you to notice it.

  23. #23LDK2013-03-04 04:16

    Steve, For the first 30 years of my working life I had a very closed mind view, I was so biased that the only thing I would consider was CAT. Since then I have become more open minded on brand but my view is biased towards the operation and reliability (I don't do the books) Like I said it would be the back up that clinched it for me. In Argentina in 2007 we bought a JD 700J, 750J, 160 excavator. The reason we went with JD was having been to the CAT and Komatsu dealers they where not listening to us and tried to sell us larger machines than we wanted because of where they were built (Both in Brazil I think), with JD we could have what we wanted. We also got a couple of tracked skid loaders from them because we could only get wheeled ones from the other 2 dealers. So far so good. The dozers were great to run, I really liked the 700. The 160 was a great machine but the skid loaders were a disaster. We have sold almost everything off in the last 6 months...... except for those skid loaders!! I can assure you that if we are in the market for equipment again in Argentina we would not be looking at JD because the back up from their dealer was terrible. Having a machine standing for a month or more waiting for a part to arrive was not uncommon and most times I felt their service guys were just guessing at things, lacked experience and had no sense of urgency. I forgot to mention, that at the same time we bought a new CAT 320, it was not significantly more reliable, if at all. Having said that if we are buying again here we would almost certainly go with CAT because of the dealer back up, they were not great but I have to say they were better than JD. Our only experience of the Komatsu dealer was in 2000 we rented a D65 from them, we specified we wanted a semi-U blade with hydraulic tilt and they confirmed that it would have. They hauled it a thousand miles to us, we were happy to see that it was a new machine but then saw the blade for it was a manual angle with no hydraulic tilt, it went back!!! That episode did not fill me with confidence but I cant honestly say what their service department is like. As far as working in Russia, it has got better over the last 10 years but things never run smoothly, their is always a twist

  24. #24awful knawful2013-03-04 06:40

    The 1050 must have 25000 + hrs. I'm not positive. Engines been done twice for sure. First time it wasn't done properly and had to be done again. I think it was the #1 tractor for 4 years at about 6000hrs/ year. The company bought it because it was $100k cheaper than a D8R at the time. In the first year it had over $100K in repairs. They even researched the machine before buying. A company had 6 in the USA pushing at a landfill and got rid of all of them for D8s. Even after this they still bought it and it has been trouble since day 1. I'm not pro CAT, just the facts. Hydraulics get so hot it cooks the hoses, they become brittle and fail. HYD cooler is too small/ inefficient. I believe there are 4 drive pumps. They,ve been changed multiple times at like $30K each. On a hot summer day you can push maybe 50-75% of the time, the other % is spent idleing so it will cool down. Engine doesn't heat just the hydraulics. They've had Liebherr here multiple times and they can't find any problems. We are on a pretty good maint schedule. We have 2 full time mechanics and all services are done at specific hour timelines. For US the D8 has been much better and very reliable.

  25. #25awful knawful2013-03-04 06:48

    here are some of my posts on the 1050c. old but shows the issues we had.

  26. #26steve.k2013-03-04 07:18

    Thanks guys 25,000 hrs is a ton and that may have been something to do with the 1050's problems for sure.Ive never had a engine get past about 15000 without a rebuild so Id say its on par.Thats with anyones machine Cat included!The post above says 40000 on a cat 8n I would say thats a world record for cat I have never heard of that many before?It maybe possible but I have not heard of it before.I beleive all these machines have their strengths and weaknesses and you have to figure out what they are and use accordinginly.As an example the Fd 255 runs over 100 psi oil pressure when cold on engine,in sub zero temps up here you have to make certain precautions to keep from blowing filter seals when starting.We run light oils and have heaters installed(propane)on all machines to ease starting.End of that Issue. Steve:beatsme

  27. #27Chisumtrail2013-03-08 18:02

    Anybody know if there is a Liebherr dozer that is exactly the same as a Deere 950J, just looking for part source options. Or did Liebherr agree not to make one the same specs?

  28. #28steve.k2013-03-08 21:50

    950j The 950j is exactly the same as744 Lieberr you can get all parts from them!:beatsme

  29. #29Me1magoo2013-03-08 22:39

    I have JD 450, 550, 650, 700, 750 J's (several) and have one 850J and a 1050J in my fleet (rental fleet) and can assure you the 450 through the 850 are all built by JD. Everything in them is JD and they make them. The 1050J is a Liebherr machine, when we buy parts (which is ALL the time it seems) they even have "L" on the part numbers from the Deere dealer. The 605C track loaders we have are also Liebherr machines, JD just puts a stamp and decals on them. I can't say much good for the 1050J, it has barely broken even in the three years we have had it and it hasn't even reached 5000 hours yet. Pretty disappointing when you see the machine it looks impressive but it really doesn't go more than a month without something broken. We just put $12K in it for a WIRING HARNESS!

  30. #30steve.k2013-03-08 23:43

    It seems there are mixed reviews on these 950-1050j Deeres?I read through all of awfuls posts and some guys had good luck with these machines.In all honesty 40,000 hrs is a ton of hrs and most machines would be on 2-3 rebuild from ground up.Our old 25c which everyone loves is a 40,000 hr plus unit and the only thing we havent rebuilt is the final drives.I have a feeling that certain dozers require certain maintence procederes and others a different way,this maybe two that require a different set of rules??Im sure there are some Jd reps out there that can shed more light on this?I do not understand why if there are issues with these dozers why JD and Liebherr have not teamed up to resolve them?Doesnt make sense as it makes neither of them look good when competing with the others??Is it a lack of trained tecs and a poor understanding of what these tractors need to be successful?The contractor in Toronto said he was switching everything to Liebherr as he had nothing but good success and cam directly from CAT?He said most of their machines are newer and the oldest one had over 6000hrs basically trouble free so far!What is he doing different?I do not know but he says the tractors were primarily used for ripping shale and granite?That would seem like torture to me!

  31. #31Scrub Puller2013-03-09 05:33

    Yair . . . steve.k Mate are you saying you have a machine 40,000 hours on final drives? Cheers

  32. #32steve.k2013-03-09 08:29

    Yes we have a TD 25c that we bought in mid eighties,that has the above hrs. We bought the machine with about 3000 hrs on it and have run it ever since. It now only see's back up service or brush work(as its a canopy machine).It has never had the drives apart!This is a huge contrast to our d8h models we used to have that required drive rebuilds nearly every second season??I have nothing but praise for the IH design and have met with the Dressta reps from Chicago(Bob Schenk) a few times, they agree the 25c was their best machine ever!:notworthy

  33. #33Scrub Puller2013-03-09 14:00

    Yair . . . steve.k Thats remarkable. I never realised that particular machine was a cut above the rest . . . I have never heard of those hours on any finals. Cheers

  34. #34steve.k2013-03-09 19:45

    G Scrub Puller Yes I know not many beleive a corn binder (ih) much good at anything! We have three in our fleet a td20h, td25g,td25c! At one time we were running 6 td25c's and production was leaps ahead of when we had the Cat stuff! I recently bought a 2008 155ax Komatsu as I could not find a 25m in my price range. The Komatsu had 2800 hrs when we got it and after nearly 1000hrs run time its definatly not up to 25 standards. The 25g is better balanced and pulls our 10ft five shank ripper boxes easier. I will try and post a picture of the box. I tell guys around here about the drives and they think I'm nuts! I give them the phone no of our mechanic as he is the only one that works on these machines. It has struck up interesting conversation to say the least. We bought the first c which I still have on advice from our cousins who had two. After real bad luck with a 8 h we switched over and never looked back. Now that Dressta has separated from Komatsu we are starting to see a influx again of these solid tractors. I have as I said before met with Bob Schenk Dresstas North American rep as they are looking for input on the upcoming tractors. It was good to talk with him and get the complete history of these machines and their new direction. I've also been looking at the 20m as a update but there is only one in our area and its new and out of my budget. The jd was my next alternative !

  35. #35YEC19982013-03-09 21:31

    Steve.k I have a TD-25E and it is a fine dozer, it will out work our Cat D8K and I love the two speed steering. I bought it in 1999 due to an engine failure in one of our D8K's. Having to get back to work in a hurry I bought The 25, I figured I would be a piece of junk but I sure was wrong. I payed $23,000 for it and if I remember right it was going to cost around $25,000 to get the D8 back going. I have ran the TD-25E since 1999 without any major problems and I has payed for itself multiple times, It has a factory enclosed cab, limb risers and a carco 120 winch. As far as the Liebherr machines I have two Liebherr excavators R912LC, and R932HD and they have been very reliable. My operators don't like them because they are not very fast to operate and they don't have a traditional swing brake. They are good machines for certain jobs, I use them for spares or back up machines. The JD dealer in my area has put a few 1050C's out and they have had a lot of problems with them especially engines. I don't know if they had any other problems but they look like a good machine built tough and well engineered. If I was going to buy a new machine I would probably go with a D8 mainly due to dealer support and better used parts availability. If I were to buy a used machine I would consider a JD 1050 due to they don't hold there value compared to the Cat. The local Deere dealer sold one about a year ago on Ironplanet that was a steal the machine only had 1600 hrs on it with a ripper in very good shape and no problems with the machine and it only brought $113,000. That a lot less money than a equally equipped D8R.

  36. #36steve.k2013-03-18 12:42

    Td 25 ripper box for frost.this one mounted on 155ax Komatsu This is picture of ripper box to rip topsoils when froze.this allows us to keep topsoils clean(less admixing) and minimize lumps.This works great and minimizes rip time.