I've been trying out a Leica Rugby 320SG high end laser for laying 18" C905 waterline. The unit seems to get off an inch or more after 100' or more. The salesman said may be UV rays from the white bedding rock or the 100 degree heat. Anyone ever hear of this? Very frustrating! Posted Pics Many thanks for any input
haven't heard of uv affecting the receivers.... have you tried putting some sort of shade(popup tent???) over the laser to make sure it isn't heat affecting it or have the dealer get you a different one in case that one has problems.
I've heard of it, but never experienced it. Apparently it's the same as a mirage on a hot road, the change in temperature causes optical distortion, sorta. I think there are devices for conditioning the air inside a pipeline when the laser is inside. On the outside, you'd have to shade the whole distance, or only do the measuring when the temperature is steady and out of direct sunlight.
Have you tried turning the laser 180° and checking again? Get your tripod as level as you can. Take a reading at the instrument, and set a benchmark at 100', 200', 300', etc. Make sure they are as close to exact grade as possible. Then, turn the beacon 180° and recheck your benches. Most lasers have a spec, if your readings are off more than an eighth-inch you need to have the laser calibrated. I check mine several times per season. If you're laser is dual plane, you also need to check both axis.
Set the the laser over near the fence to see if the air above the stone is affecting the laser beam (I don't think it does). With pipe lasers I have had the beam start to dance past 200' in some weather conditions, setting a fan over the manhole to blow down the pipe fixes it every time.
Come to think about it.. I've seen the laser guys w/ umbrellas over their lasers..{attached to the tripod} I just thought it was the hot sun here & they were wusies.. MAYBE not..?? It might have to do w/ the equipment they're using.??