Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lengthening excavator stick

movindirt ยท 2016-04-11 21:53

Hey guys, I was wondering if y'all thought a 5'6" stick off a 8 ton excavator could be lengthened to 7'6" and still be strong? I had figured on cutting it in half right above the bucket cylinder, then welding up a box the size of the stick and welding it in between the two halves, then plate the 4 sides the length of the stick with some 1/4" or 3/8" steel. Do you guys think this would work? Would it need the extra plating? Its on a 8 ton machine. Thanks!!

Replies7
  1. #1Canadian_digger2016-04-11 22:10

    Not sure if this will work but I'm sure someone is going to want to know the make and model of your machine.

  2. #2catfixer2016-04-12 00:11

    sounds iffy to me, but with enough money and time I reckon anythings possible

  3. #3lantraxco2016-04-12 02:21

    Unless it's a really rare model you can probably find a long stick surplus somewhere at a reasonable price, so if need be you could switch back and forth. :my2c

  4. #4movindirt2016-04-12 14:14

    Well, I guess I should ask this then, does anyone have a 7'6" stick laying around for a Kobelco K903?

  5. #5old-iron-habit2016-04-13 23:08

    No problem welding a section in. Capacity to use it may be a whole different matter. You will probably need a smaller bucket to go with it. I would not plate the whole thing but would add about 12" rounded end diamond plates at the added section joints.

  6. #6DoyleX2016-04-14 06:41

    Empirebucket.com Very smart outfit. Worth a call.

  7. #7movindirt2016-04-14 13:29

    The e-stick on this machine now looks like the one on your website Anybody want to flip this picture up?