Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LeRoi air compressor need help

Pete1468 ยท 2016-01-15 09:17

Friend of mine says he cant find a water pump for his LeRoi air compressor. Its a D226 gas 4 cylinder. He claims he can't find anything, any help is appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1mitch5042016-01-15 10:26

    Who made the engine?

  2. #2Pete14682016-01-15 10:31

    I haven't seen it but he claims it's a LeRoi made engine.

  3. #3mitch5042016-01-15 10:57

    http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65730 http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=allis&msg=10272 It seems they share some parts w/ Allis Chalmers 226 and 201 engines, but not all. Whether the water pump is the same is the subject of some controversy. Might get a pump for an Allis and compare them, or send his to a rebuilder. Is this the setup where 4 cylinders run on gas, and 2 compress air?

  4. #4Pete14682016-01-15 11:02

    Guy said he spent 600 to get it rebuilt and it started smoking rightaway. I haven't seen it yet he just asked if I could locate one.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2016-01-15 11:24

    The water pump is smoking? Why doesn't he send it back to the rebuilder? I have had success with rebuilt water pumps for rare engines but everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

  6. #6mitch5042016-01-15 11:27

    My thoughts exactly.

  7. #7Pete14682016-01-15 11:33

    I think what he wants now is something to bolt on and go. I can get his rebuilt at my rebuider but he got it done at a machine shop.

  8. #8kshansen2016-01-15 12:07

    Not sure if this helps but did a little looking on Google and found one place that says: D226, 4 inch bore is the same as a D17, WD45 Allis-Chalmers. So that might be one way to look. Went a little further and Googled "Allis-Chalmers D17 water pump" and it comes up with many images so that might point in the right direction.

  9. #9repowerguy2016-01-15 19:11

    Had one of those once upon a time that ran on four and pumped on two and I could have sworn it was a Continental engine, but who knows?:beatsme

  10. #10OFF2016-01-15 23:24

    there were also Allis Chalmers forklifts in the 60's that were powered with an Allis Chalmers 4 cyl. gas engine. The model of forklift was an ACP50. Probably the same engine.another angle you could check out.

  11. #11Pete14682016-01-15 23:39

    He's supposed to bring me the water pump so I can get some numbers off of it. Monday I might stop in and look at his compressor.

  12. #12kshansen2016-01-16 07:52

    I'm sure there is more to the story here. Sometimes people will give you all kinds of partial bits of info on a problem that once you get to see the machine in person will turn out to be way off from the real story. Like the time a lady came to our door asking if we could "jump start" her VW Bug. At first this might sound like a logical request, but we are out in the country so why would the car have been shut off in the first place while it was being driven down the road? Walk out to the car on the side of the road and ask her to try turning it over. It spins over great. I ask her if it is out of gas and she says she should have enough to get to the village down the road where she fills up. Look at the gas gauge and it is right on the peg. Think I even took off the cap and looked inside the tank and it was empty. Walked up to the barn and got the gas can for the lawn mower and dumped a gallon or so in and then had her crank the engine some more. A few seconds latter it was running! Point is the problem a "customer" tells you he/she has can very often be something completely different. So a "Smoking water pump" could really be a leaky exhaust gasket or just the paint burning off the manifold on a fresh painted engine.

  13. #13mitch5042016-01-16 10:19

    Ok, you get my vote for most accurate post of all time, right here!

  14. #14kshansen2016-01-16 18:15

    Does that get me the winning numbers on the next Powerball drawing? One thing that gets me is the report of the pump smoking, in over 45 years turning wrenches more or less professionally I can't recall ever seeing a water pump fail in a mode that resulted in it smoking. May have had seen one seize up and cause the belt to smoke. Guess the first thing I'd check is to see if "someone" (not mentioning names) left a rag in someplace or maybe a bolt that got dropped inside locking it up.

  15. #15Pete14682016-01-16 18:25

    I guess this pump has a bushing at the end along with bearings, I haven't seen it yet but guy claims the paint burnt off and had smoke coming from bushing area. I'm anxious to see it. If its the same as an allis motor I can get 5 different styles.

  16. #16mitch5042016-01-16 18:25

    Absolutely! As soon as they publish them, I'll PM them right to you!