Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Let’s see some Carnage

Mogcrazy ยท 2008-10-08 20:35

Hello, I own a small metal shop and we are just getting into doing bucket repairs and hardfacing. I wanted to get some good pictures of broken equipment to put on our brochure to hand out to people about our services. So if you have and good pictures post em up! I want to see broken buckets, bent blades, or anything else you may have just worked to hard. Thanks Shaun

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies29
  1. #1Vantage_TeS2008-10-09 00:30

    Ripper off a D11N in the bucket of my 385C. Had a little disagreement with some pretty nasty rock. Rock won.

  2. #2Mogcrazy2008-10-09 11:37

    Wow DAMN! that must have made a really loud sound when it broke, that looks like atleast two inch thick steel. That is a great pic thanks for sharing it, all right guys lets see some more.

  3. #3IronFlyer2008-10-09 15:31

    I recently retired my business, I'll sell you some

  4. #4Sreamerbeast2008-10-09 21:07

    hmm I got a lot of stuff i repaired in time couple backhoe buckets that are caved in the back from smashing scrap into hoppers if you want to take a peek at

  5. #5Vantage_TeS2008-10-09 21:27

    Try 4-6 inches

  6. #6catd8t2008-10-09 21:50

    it looks small cause its in a 385 bailling buckit the d10 i ran last summers ripper was at least 5 inchs thick

  7. #7Mogcrazy2008-10-09 23:33

    Need more pics Man that's some thick steel! It really does look tiny in that bucket though. It looks kinda like it broke where it was welded or did you just rip that plate of steel in half? What were you trying to move that 5" thick steel wasn't beefy enough? Sreamerbeast I'd love to take a look at anything you guys got. I've been a welder for many years, but I gotta tell ya I'm kind of new at this big iron stuff. Not that I haven't welded a lot of thick steel, I-beams and structural building posts together in my time, but damn tearing some 5" plate in half leaves me a little weak in the knees! Also for your enjoyment I just posted up my first ever youtube video. As you can tell my rig can't do nearly as much work as most of yours, but I thought it was pretty impressive at the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwyeYG2EoiE Thanks for all the help and info guys, keep it coming! Shaun

  8. #8alco2008-10-10 02:04

    I think it may be a bit narrower than that, the shank on my D11R is only 4 inches thick. Brian

  9. #9catd8t2008-10-10 15:19

    it was this thick (im holding my fingers a part) hahaha like i said thick

  10. #10bigcatpip2008-10-10 20:54

    I ripped 4 shanks total untill they could find me another 72in bucket. In poorly shot rock and wet dirt.

  11. #11bigcatpip2008-10-10 22:51

    I bet that D11 ripper had alittle help getting rip off...maybe the D10 was pushing on it??

  12. #12Vantage_TeS2008-10-10 22:59

    Nope working by himself right in front of me. I put one scoop in the truck, swung back for another and SNAP. Sheared off right there it goes into the body of the ripper. Guy's a really good dozer operator too. Must have been a weak spot in the metal *shrugs*

  13. #13OneWelder2008-10-11 12:34

    Just Dig Sand With it

  14. #14Dozerboy2008-10-15 15:04

    Its easy to break a ripper shank off if you don't rip in a straight line. I've broke lots of stuff just no pics...

  15. #15dumpchuck2008-10-23 22:34

    While this isn't a something repairable, It does perhaps fall under the category of carnage. I'm also making my first attempt at uploading a picture.

  16. #16greywynd2008-10-24 06:56

    I don't see a darn thing wrong with the chain....am I missing something?

  17. #17BCB2008-10-24 10:25

    WOW how do ya even do that?

  18. #18landrvrnut222008-10-24 10:32

    That has to be the strangest break I have ever seen. Because of the bolt holes, it broke in a zig-zag.

  19. #19dumpchuck2008-10-24 12:48

    Thats the second one we've had break in the last three years. The first one broke towards the back. Its a spindle off a 1973 Cat 825B dirt compactor. The only thing that kept the wheel from coming off was the cleaner bar.

  20. #20Lashlander2008-11-04 12:24

    These pics were given to me by a friend. Shows what happens when your flying down an ice road at 44 below and catch a fork.

  21. #21qball2008-11-04 16:15

    holy ----! i have seen and done some damage, but that takes the cake.

  22. #22Dirtman20072008-11-04 16:58

    You think your loader was bad...

  23. #23brynbaily2008-11-04 17:30

    Ouch! I give credit to those who work in that stuff.....I'm crying when it hits freezing let alone -44...eek

  24. #24redlaker12008-11-04 18:26

    you don't want to be crying when its below -40, the tears would freeze before they left your eye!

  25. #25Lashlander2008-11-04 20:52

    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a contest or I wouldn't have bothered posting. The counterweight didn't even get a scratch in the pics I put up! I went back and reread the original post and now realize The post was about excavators. So I screwed this one up from all angles. If I could get a moderator to delete my post it will be all better. I'll be more careful what I post on here in the future!

  26. #26Vantage_TeS2008-11-04 21:11

    Judging by the way the front windsheild is still there I'm guessing the guy WAS wearing his seatbelt. Hell of a quick stop that would be

  27. #27Dirtman20072008-11-04 21:16

    I wasn't trying to say that the pictures I posted were better than yours, Sorry if I came off that way. Just thought that while we were on loader failures I would bring up an oldie of what happens when the bucket or forks hit the ground when going wide open. Either way both machines are wrecked.

  28. #28HeyUvaVT2008-11-05 07:37

    easy there lash...he must have thought he was still over in the how to tick off your inspector thread chris :drinkup

  29. #29Lashlander2008-11-05 11:42

    :laugh