I just traded some work for an old LeTourneau-Westinghouse 440. I believe it is a 1969. It wouldn't start so the guy put new batteries in it and it still didn't start but it does run. He thought the parallel switch was out so he got a new one of those but he was doing the work himself and forgot how to put it back together. Does anyone have any help on how to get this ol' girl back together and running. I've already done the work for the blade so there's no turning back now...thanks in advance. Also, does anyone know where in the world I can find parts for it in case of a break down?
There's a half a dozen versions of those S/P switches, you get the exact part number off the switch you might be able to look up a wiring diagram, and then the headaches start. It's been thirty years, but I remember they're not all that complex, but are a rat's nest of wiring.
It may be much easier and cheaper to just put a 12v starter on it and toss the s/p switch. Min par will be your source for parts.
Well, finally got a 12 volt starter on and will turn over but it's not getting fuel. Can I get a transfer pump from MinnPar or can I just throw a electric fuel pump on and be ok? Also where can I get a parts manual or operator manual for this dinosaur?
Hi I have 2 operator manuals for 440. 1- dated 1962 models adams LW330& 440, 1 - no date, LW Models 440H & 660B Standard, $25.00 US ea + postage from B.C. Canada, thought I had a parts manual but can,t find it, Ken
And you have those or you found them online somewhere? I'd be interested. Let me make sure this blade will run. I told the guy if we can't get it running then I don't want to buy it. So if I get it running, I will definitely buy it.
I have them, these were my Dad,s, He had a 440 with a Detroit 4-71, also have a Wabco 666-777 operators manual, Ken
What engine is in it? If we know we can help.
It is a Cummins for sure. That's what the mechanic said who used to work for Cat.
Try turning in the manual screw on the shut down sol., it should fire off then. It is on top of the inj pump. It may have had 24v put to it and burned up.
So, if turning that screw doesn't work on the injection pump and the batteries are ok, what else could I do? The cat mechanic said I could try putting an inline fuel pump to help the transfer pump since it's weak. Once the blade gets started, it's fine. It's just getting it started is the issue. Any advice?
Putting a inline on a 5/8" line is going to be difficult, it may have a check valve in the suction that is hung open. Have you tried to give it a shot of ether and see if it will start then? The PT pumps aren't expensive to rebuild if it needs a new one.
That is the only way that it will start is ether. Even on a 50-60 degree day. Ether is the only way. Explain the check valve. That is definitely a possibility since it sat for a couple years? Maybe when I get it started I'll run it for awhile and add some seafoam?
I'm thinking that there will be a check somewhere in the suction line between the pump and the tank. Sometimes they were built into a jic fitting so it may be disguised. It is just a simple affair, a light spring and a plunger and seat. To test the theory of fuel drain back, use a elevated temp tank ( bucket) and start and run it then shut it off and wait awhile and see if it will start. If it lights right off you will need to find or install a check in the line. Hope this helps.
Ok guys. So I got the blade. It doesn't seem like it's running to full potential but it does run. I added some Howes and Seafoam and I think I just got the tank emptied finally but it is SO HARD to start. It took almost 3 cans of ether to get it started this morning at 18 degrees outside. I also replaced the water heater on but have not got to try it out to see if it makes a difference. I am going to check out the fuel filters and such but I can't help but think it just needs an overhaul. It's leaking oil out of the top of the engine and not sure where else. I'm afraid to pressure wash it off and see how bad it really is. Once it finally gets started it idles pretty rough. Revving up and down no matter how long you let it run. I'm not familiar with the older blades but it seems starved for power. The 14H cats we run at my work will really dig in and dump fuel so they have more power but this one does not do that. Do you guys have any insight on this? I really appreciate your input.
If it were me I would try the bucket fuel tank to run it for a hour or so. Use whatever snake oil in the fuel you prefer, I like ATF in these situations. If it still is weak,then some investigation and adjustments and maybe some hard parts will need changed. What particular Cummins is in it? Small cam, 903, 555 or something else?
So we ran into a problem. We are replacing some gaskets on the top because it's leaking oil and there is a valve cover that's cracked. Where do you guys find what engine it is? I have the engine S/N and model number and we even got the number off the top of the pistons but so far the shop I have asked hasn't been able to find out what engine is in it. S/N: 490614 Engine Model: H-135-01 Number on top of piston: H105.000 Thanks for your guys time.
?? It's a Cummins H-135 engine. The link below is a little later model after the name was changed from LeTourneau-Westinghouse to Wabco in 1967, but it's relevant to your model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-Die...328726?hash=item235dc94c56:g:oIoAAOSwwbdWL8rY Here's a little history: http://contractormag.co.nz/contractor/motor-graders-of-letourneau-westinghouse/
So my blade must be older than what I was told. I was told it was a '69 but it clearly has the L-W metal plate in the cab below the seat. So would I just be able to go to cummins and ask for parts? I need gaskets. And stuff is tough to find for this thing.