This is a LeTourneau-Westinghouse Model C Tournadozer with a v-plow and wing plowing snow in Hill County Havre Montana. It was owner by the Hill County Road Dept. and was used in the late 50’s into the sixties. I was a young boy at the time and enjoyed playing in it waiting for my father to get off work. The county crew nicknamed it Sputnik.
Great photo. Thanks for sharing.
I met R.G Letourneau in 1961. He spoke at a church I was attending in Albq. N.M I think he even had a engineering college in Tex.
If anyone wants to learn more about RG Letourneau, his autobiography "Mover of Men and Mountains" is worth reading. Book is still available ISBN-10: 0-8024-3818-0 and published by Moody Publishers, Chicago. Bought my copy recently from Plough Book Sales, Victoria, Australia.
That would be Letourneau University, in Longview Texas. It is a pretty big place, and going strong. Longview is the home of the Letourneau machinery manufacturing plants.
Do they still make any type of machinery?
I work for a LeTourneau Forestry dealer. These machines are powerful and seem to last forever almost. We have machines that are older than I am and are still moving logs today. LeTourneau builds a hell of a machine.
They build very large front-end loaders for mining. Bucket sizes range from 35cy up to 53cy. They also build log stackers, that look like giant forklifts.
They also build, column mounted jib boom cranes, and straddle hoists.
I think they are joy global now, which has letorneau and p&h
Ran a LeTourneau in a L.P. Log Yard back in the 80's...strong, strong machines. Different to run to say the least toggle switch for turning??? And the "POT" tried to steer with that pot, more than once breaking in!!!!! LOL Put me back in that 475 Michigan!! antiquated but, what that thing would clean and jerk was impressive...over loaded logging trucks, back to back to back!!!!
Thanks for posting Havre man...Idaho Panhandle for me!!!