Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old time clearing

Scrub Puller ยท 2014-02-12 19:01

Yair. . . A few pictures of old time clearing one of mine and others random from the net Cheers.

Replies12
  1. #1D6 Merv2014-02-13 00:45

    I was expecting to see u using oxen scrub !! u being a old timer :drinkup

  2. #2Brainzie2014-02-13 01:29

    Heres a few not so old hope you don't mind Scrub :drinkup

  3. #3old-iron-habit2014-02-13 08:46

    Nice photos Scrub. I especially enjoy the old ones. Thanks for sharing them.

  4. #4td25c2014-02-15 22:39

    Always enjoy viewing photos of old and new of clearing methods . Cool pictures Scrub Puller . Is that a termite mound beside the chain in the first photo ? Nice looking D6 Brainzie. Looks like it has a pin on stick rake on the blade possibly . Talking about old time clearing I did get a chance to make few videos clearing with a K/G blade http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/sharpenkg001_zps217c0d22.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1 http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/finnishkg003_zps573253b7.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

  5. #5D6 Merv2014-02-15 23:18

    Got any close up pics of your rake Phil ??? you got me thinking abit ??? Clip on ? and how far below cutting edge do your tynes stick down. My scrub crushing I either just flattened with blade, or swept with the blade, leaves a few sticks behind, but super giant discs kill them !

  6. #6Old Doug2014-02-16 10:40

    The way you guys cleared land is very interesting to me i enjoy see the pictures. Thanks Scrub. Do you have any of the rollers they used on hill sides?

  7. #7ACcrazy2014-02-16 12:17

    Thanks for the pics, guys. TD25C, really appreciate the vids. Reminded me of years ago riding next to my uncle on our '50s model HD16 cable blade.

  8. #8390eric2014-02-16 12:34

    I would love to see a video of that chain action. That thing is huge.

  9. #9Scrub Puller2014-02-16 14:09

    Yair . . . . D6 Merv . Be nice, I'm not that old. (big grin) Brainzie . Thanks for the extra pictures . . . nice tractor by the way. Are they fence lines you're clearing? td25c . Interested to see you actual sharpen those blades. It is a completely different concept as the last thing we want is to cut/break stuff off at ground level . . . I can see it works well in different species though. Yes, that is a little termite mound, they are very common in the red country. Old Doug No worries mate, I'll see if I can find a few more and get them on this thread. The hillside rollers were a New Zealand thing (there is a thread on here about them) we mainly used the balls in Australia as far as I know. Cheers.

  10. #10td25c2014-02-16 16:22

    That's cool ACcrazy . My first dozer was a 1956 HD16AC cable blade . Loved that machine . We used the same K/G blade on it as you see in the video of the 16B. Not sure what year the blade is but it has both options for cable or hydraulic lift. I would like to know when Rome started building them . I'm guessing early 1950's . Don't know for sure . Yeah Scrub Puller , I thought that was a termite mound . I understand they can get pretty big . Yes I keep the cutting edge sharp . Usually sharpen it 3 times a day . Keep an air grinder on the dozer if we are very far from the truck . You can use the blade at or above the ground surface but most of the time I run it just under the surface on small scrub plowing it out . On bigger trees you drop the blade say 3 to 5 feet in front of the tree so it starts cutting the outer root system & begins to roll the tree over . If you notice in the video the trees still have the root wad on them . It works pretty good for my little one man operation They sent a bunch of K/G blades to Vietnam in the late 1960's mounted on Cat D7E's for Engineers to use for clearing . They would run the blade slightly above the surface to cut the trees & leave roots & vegetation intact to prevent erosion. They also employed the chaining method but not with the steel ball . www.diehardengineer.com/Photovnrs.html Found this article & thought it was interesting www.59thlandclearing.org/pages/history.htm

  11. #11brucew2014-02-16 19:22

    Just thought I would add a couple of photos of me taken in early 70s raking on a Komatsu D50 dozer that I was working on.Back then I thought it was the real deal particularly as it was direct drive but you could operate it especially when you were raking pretty much like a powershift machine because of its foot clutch and inter connected steering clutch brake setup.

  12. #12ibfarmin2014-02-16 20:17

    how does the chain and ball work ? I have never seen this method before.