Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lets play id this backhoe case old stuff

bob_00 ยท 2015-01-01 22:20

here is a ad i saw i am wondering wath is this machine http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.html?adId=1041487028&image=0&enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies34
  1. #1Shimmy12015-01-01 22:27

    My first guess is a 480, but that's a pretty big bucket for a 480. It's a straight 680.

  2. #2tuney4432015-01-01 22:35

    Looks like an old 580 to me with a marshmellow bucket.

  3. #3melben2015-01-01 23:05

    It don't look quite right for a 680, I'm gonna go with 780.

  4. #4stumpjumper832015-01-02 05:30

    I cant see anything to positively identify either a 680 or a 780, but its one of the two. I'd lean towards 780, as far as the front bucket goes, I'd like to see the think get the bucket off the ground with sawdust even, that thing is huge, the fact that they would attempt it leans towards 780.

  5. #5tuney4432015-01-02 08:09

    On second thought I would say 780 as that hoe bucket is also huge.I've never seen that size bucket with teeth on a 580.

  6. #6digger242j2015-01-02 09:35

    Like Shimmy, I'd go with 680, but before the E series, because as far as I know, the 680E and up, and all of the 780s, have two cylinders for the boom. This machine only has the one.

  7. #7Tinkerer2015-01-02 09:55

    This is my 1974 680CK if that helps. The doors are not OEM. I made them out of a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. It is one of last C series made. It has a single boom cylinder. The E series came out in 1975 for three years of production. They were the first 680's with dual boom cylinders.

  8. #8sheepfoot2015-01-02 10:36

    Well none of the 780 series had a single backhoe boom cylinder, the 680 used them on the 680ck, 680 B, 680 C, and changed to twin cylinders on the backhoe with the 680E which is correct.

  9. #9Shimmy12015-01-02 10:44

    So is it a CK, a B, or a C? It's definitely not an E, what are some other tells besides single boom cylinder? Try as I might, I cannot find a picture of a 680B. I find CK's and C's. They both have outboard planetary on the rear axle? This one appears to not be outboard, but it doesn't stay very clear when I zoom in.

  10. #10melben2015-01-02 10:52

    Correct on the 780s having dual cylinders on boom, I have never seen that type of a rollcage over a cab enclosure on a 680. I would imagine that the c series started with the direct injection engine so a good shot of the engine would be needed to ascertain that. AS far as a 680 handling that bucket, they were a strong machine but with that bucket full steering might be an issue.

  11. #11Shimmy12015-01-02 11:00

    I learned on a 680E. There is no way on this earth that THAT tractor is going to fill that bucket with anything but fluffy snow or sawdust.....IMO.

  12. #12digger242j2015-01-02 11:30

    Looking at Case's parts site, it looks like the planetaries didn't show up until the C series. That machine definitely doesn't have planetaries. That would narrow it down to a CK or B. I owned two different G series, and to get a nice full bucket up front it helped if the material was fairly loose to begin with. That bucket has to be something other than factory standard.

  13. #13Shimmy12015-01-02 11:37

    So, Tinkerer's hoe is not a CK, like he says, but a "C", like it says on the machine?

  14. #14melben2015-01-02 11:46

    680s of any type were not plentiful in our area, As far as the lift capabilities are concerned I am far from an expert so I will defer to you on that.

  15. #15bob_002015-01-02 12:16

    Thanks for all the input as far as i know the guy wants 1800$ but the engin is dead half open and few part missing so deal or no deal that is the question

  16. #16Shimmy12015-01-02 12:22

    HeavyEquipmentForums Post #52. Picture shows a 680 B. No outboard planetaries.

  17. #17Shimmy12015-01-02 12:38

    I know this is a bit of a side-shift (so to speak) but anybody here in the US ever seen one of these up close, and did Case miss the boat by not offering them over here? It is supposedly a 695 Super R.

  18. #18bob_002015-01-02 12:56

    Here i saw i jcb with the 4 big wheel it look very stable and strong but hard to get in tight spot

  19. #19Shimmy12015-01-02 12:58

    Found one finally. Straight 680, looks like someone removed small loader cylinders, but the pin holes are there. http://youtu.be/gp02lt6XwS8

  20. #20digger242j2015-01-02 13:32

    I've heard the price of scrap is down, so that's probably just about what it's worth at the scrapyard, if not a bit less. (Which is not to advocate scrapping her. Once the old ones are gone, they're gone, and they don't come back. Knowing the scrap price does give you a handle on the very bottom value though.) Actually, if you want to get perfectly technical, the way Case lists them on their site, all of them before the E machines are called "680CK Construction King Loader Backhoe". After the plain '680CK' series (which we might presume is the 'A' in the series), come "680CK Series-B Construction King Loader Backhoe" and "680CK Series-C Construction King Loader Backhoe" Beginning with the E, they just call them "680E Construction King Loader Backhoe", 680G Construction King Loader Backhoe", and so on. Confused yet?

  21. #21Shimmy12015-01-02 13:39

    $1800 sounds cheap, but in that condition, the only reason for getting it running is to preserve a bit of history. Probably going to take at least twice that to make it run, then who knows what else is wrong? Would be a fun project some day, when I had nothing else to do.

  22. #22Tinkerer2015-01-02 14:01

    Actually the 680s prior to the E series are all CKs. As we all know a serial number is extremely important when sourcing parts. The list I posted is a good example. It took me awhile to sort them out when I first started to spend my kids inheritance on mine. To make things even more confusing Case offered some of the early 680s with the option of picking between two ROPS cabs when buying them new. Their own Case built one and the Simms, which mine has on it. I would buy the machine bob_00 has been looking at as soon as I could get to it if it were near me. If it isn't worth getting it to run it could be parted out. As an example- I spent about 12 hours on the internet trying to find an air compressor for my 680. All 680s have air brakes. The model TF 300 compressors are non-existant at a reasonable price. After all that searching I got lucky and found one that was rebuilt by Bendix, never used for $325.00.

  23. #23mitch5042015-01-02 14:44

    Even after the E series, all Case hoes were "CK"s, since it stood for "Construction King". I know that stayed on through the SuperKs, and I think the Ls and Ms, too.

  24. #24Tinkerer2015-01-02 17:14

    I was wrong in post #23 when I said all 680s have air brakes. The Series B has hydraulic brakes. It was kind of weird when I found the guy with the air compressor I needed. He said he had 17 of them sitting on a shelf. Rebuilt by Bendix and never used. I bought a second one for $275.00 - shipping included. I guess there isn't much of a market for them.

  25. #25Deere500a2015-01-02 20:30

    Case 680h as a digger fine but the front end sucks loading & shuttling. Hard too find parts,big heavy & slow.I would say walk away.

  26. #26stumpjumper832015-01-02 20:47

    If you were buying it for everyday use, or to use and re-sell when the project is over or to buy-fix-sell, its a no go. If your looking for a cool backhoe to own and tinker with, why not they don't come any cheaper. As for part the hoe end I believe wasn't anything special probably a #32 case backhoe, I think its the same hoe unit as every other 580 from that vintage. Motor and what not will be a case unit, probably something common to a farm tractor or other case piece. You can buy running take out motors for ag tractors rather reasonably. Tranny would be my main concern, but its worth 2k in scrap my market... offer him 1200 and see if your interested, im sure no one is beating his door down for it.

  27. #27Shimmy12015-01-02 20:57

    Glad I'm not the only one to say it. Trying to load the loader bucket, all you ever accomplish is digging holes with the tires. And before anyone says it, the main problem I believe is it was too hard to stall the converter. You couldn't run in 2nd. No power at all. 1st gear, as soon as you gave enough throttle to roll back or lift the damn tires are spinning off. Complete and total piece of junk for everyday bread winning. Cool retirement toy, absolutely.

  28. #28Tinkerer2015-01-02 21:42

    I never ran a 680H. I can say my 680C in 1st gear also will spin the tires and dig holes when loading the front bucket. I rarely use 1st. I use 2nd gear 80% of the time for front-end loader work. There is no shortage of power hoisting a full bucket and pulling up to a truck to load it. It does have a re-manufactured engine with less than 500 hours on it. Also a fresh injector pump and new OEM fuel injectors in it. It has a Case 301BD non turbo charged engine unlike the 680H with the Cummins engine.

  29. #29RBMcCloskey2015-01-02 21:47

    It is a 680CK, circa 1970

  30. #30Shimmy12015-01-02 21:57

    Do you have any insight? Only thing we've been able to spot as a tell is it doesn't have outboard planetaries.

  31. #31Tinkerer2015-01-03 06:46

    bob_00; Can you get the serial number ? If it is still in place, a plate is pinned on the RH side of the steering wheel.

  32. #32john hofer2015-01-03 10:03

    580ck with aftermarket bucket and roll guard

  33. #33Shimmy12015-01-03 10:10

    Ya need to read the post John lol It's either a 680CK or 680CK Series B

  34. #34RBMcCloskey2015-01-03 21:34

    It's a old Case 680...