Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K is ready for snow duty!

DualsportWA ยท 2015-01-01 20:10

Thanks everyone for all of the input on my winter preparations. Just got my chains installed - went with duo-grip combo chains from tirechain.com (front and rear). Had to modify slightly (remove chain from front set, slightly extend rear set). I also installed a freeze plug type block heater (750 watt), and just picked up a 1.5A battery tender as well. I started the 580K in 11 deg F weather, and it was not too easy. The next morning I started the backhoe in 9 deg F weather (block heater plugged in all night) and it fired right off as expected. I had some fun clearing snow and moving some equipment around the property in tight/steep spaces. The chains did GREAT. 4x4 is a must, and I never needed to use the diff lock. Good times!

Replies10
  1. #1bob_002015-01-01 20:16

    good news have fun i just took mine for a ride to the fuel station, fun ride

  2. #2Hardline2015-01-03 09:40

    Lack of cab makes me say no thanks.

  3. #3gabtrac2016-12-04 18:28

    Hey Dualsport, I have the same machine - 4-390 engine. Where did you install the block heater - which frost plug and what kind of block heater? My girl is getting too old for cold starting and is now not starting at all... Thanks,

  4. #4DualsportWA2016-12-06 20:47

    Hey gabtrac - i'm not at the location where the backhoe is but I think I put it in the middle freeze plug the hole was pretty easy to install and works great.

  5. #5kevin37b2016-12-10 15:18

    Agreed , NO CAB NO THANKS

  6. #6Welder Dave2016-12-10 16:55

    I think with chains on the back and the weight of the hoe, you'd do just fine if you only had 2 wheel drive.

  7. #7DualsportWA2016-12-10 18:46

    Not at my place! Steep hills and sheets of ice mean 4x4 is an absolute necessity (and in the mud for sure). I lost one front chain and couldn't make it up my driveway in the deep slush. Gotta have all four wheels with power to traverse the grades, and for steering.

  8. #8Billrog2016-12-10 21:32

    Well you certainly have that machine chained up with some pretty good chains . Guess I've been lucky only had to throw a set of chains on the front wheels once since owning FWD hoes & that was because everything was a sheet of smooth ice. My 2wd hoes wouldn't move on the level without chains on the back but with them I was never stopped or stuck.

  9. #9rickw2016-12-12 07:26

    When you buy the block heter kit from case the directions show you where to put it. Very easy to install. Tap freeze plug on one side to get it to turn side ways and pull out and put heater in. If you plug it in for 2 hrs you can warm your hands on the head. It warms it up quick. 750w 24/7 would increase electric bill if left on. And cost from the dealer is less than $100 from what I remember.

  10. #10franklin22016-12-12 14:16

    You can put one of those water heater time clocks on the recept you are using. That may help the power consumption problem.