Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lets See Some Land Clearing Pics

dieselnut ยท 2008-12-30 16:12

Hey guys- I am going to be starting an new job where I need to clear land and I haven't done that in a long time. I am wondering what you guys use and if you could post some land clearing pics and the equipment on trailers. Thanks for the help.

Replies28
  1. #1JJK2008-12-30 18:26

    depends how big it it but usually a skid steer with grapple, excavator with thumb and 18" chipper or tub grinder works.

  2. #2dieselnut2008-12-30 19:36

    That is what I was thinking and just I wanted to see the machines. Thanks for the speedy reply.

  3. #3qball2008-12-30 19:37

    cows and goats for the small stuff, beavers for the big. gotta be eco-friendly.

  4. #4roddyo2008-12-30 20:14

    Land Clearing A Bottle of Moonshine and Waylon Jennings I got some pictures on my Web Site. If there is anything specific you would like a picture of tell me and I'll try to snap you some pictures tommorrow or the next day.

  5. #5dieselnut2008-12-30 20:31

    Ha i like your first idea. If you could take some pictures of the New Holland of if you have pictures of that in action that would be awesome. No rush whenever it is convenient for you Thanks again

  6. #6Red Bank2008-12-30 20:48

    Our moonshine is in quart jars, or what we refer to as fruit jars, do you guys do things different in Arkansas?:drinkup Glad to know you are a Waylon fan like me:notworthy

  7. #7roddyo2008-12-30 21:01

    Taking Trees Down With a Backhoe I'm just running the Excavator and the Hi-Track D4 right now. A friend of mine has my backhoe and when it gets back home I think I have it sold so I don't think I'll be running it. If you want to clear land with a backhoe an Extend a Hoe really shines in bigger trees. If you will get your rear boom straight and up in the tree then use the Extend a Hoe to push the tree over they have a lot of power. Also in big trees the wetter the better. If the ground is so soaked up with water that you can barely get around you can push some pretty big trees over. The bad thing is you have to let it dry up to do something with them.

  8. #8roddyo2008-12-30 21:08

    We Carry Ours in Vodka Bottles We Carry Ours in Vodka Bottles Or So I'm Told Willie and Waylon is a big part of the reason I'm in the shape I'm in. I took the Outlaw Thing a little to Serious when I was growing up.:cool2

  9. #9dieselnut2008-12-30 21:11

    That is a very good idea. I would have never thought of the Extend a Hoe. My boss has a deere backhoe loader with that. If you could I would love to see some pictures of the excavator aside from the ones of your website.

  10. #10roddyo2008-12-30 21:23

    Your Wish is my Command I'll try to get you some tommorrow. Anything special you want to see?

  11. #11dieselnut2008-12-30 21:25

    Whatever the task you are doing is good by me. Thanks.

  12. #12roddyo2008-12-31 20:39

    Land Clearing Pics I'm not very good with pictures so this might take awhile. I didn't get any pictures of the Dozer Working Today. I was Throwing Stumps a lot and for some reason he went up the hill to work.:beatsme Heres some pics of the equipment on the road waiting for the fuel truck. The bottom two pictures is what it looked like before we started this morning. We quit at dark so I didn't take any pictures of what it looked like at the end of the day.

  13. #13dieselnut2008-12-31 20:45

    Thanks for the pictures roddyo very neat to see. I cant wait until I start my land clearing job.

  14. #14roddyo2008-12-31 21:02

    Wrapping Small Trees Around Your Bucket Teeth. Wrapping Small Trees Around Your Bucket Teeth. This is handy for Small Sprouts. The first two pictures show how to do this. Then just pull and most of the time they come up by the roots. The third pic is supposed to show the sprout still in the teeth but it popped out:Banghead I always put these in a little pile when I pull them up. 4th pic. The pile was only a little bit away so I piled it while I was there. 5th Pic

  15. #15roddyo2008-12-31 21:05

    There's More Theres More.

  16. #16roddyo2008-12-31 21:19

    Throwing Stumps The life story of a Stump. 1) The Stump 2) The Stump Removed 3) The Wind Up 4) The Landing 5) The stumps I Pulled while sitting in this one area The reason I was throwing these is in the bottom of the last two pictures A wet weather creek is flowing. By throwing them I don't have to back the dozer in it every time.

  17. #17N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-31 21:28

    Here's what you need!

  18. #18roddyo2008-12-31 21:39

    Misc Pics A couple of pics of the scrub. I left a couple of pockets of the small stuff for today. Pic #3 This place is full of wet weather springs. This is a picture of my track while digging a stump out. It was around the bottom of the cab. No big deal, this is what it was like on this side of the hill. Pic #4 A picture of the roots of a tree that came off of a limestone rock. It got one root down between two rocks and the rest went straight out.

  19. #19roddyo2008-12-31 21:45

    Nice Looking Iron That looks like a Rockland Cutter. I got a D6 that I don't even use. Around here people won't pay much over $75.00 an hour. :beatsme It don't matter if you got a D4 or a D8. If you can't Beat Em Join Em. So I just run the 4

  20. #20RonG2009-01-01 06:59

    You're giving away all our secrets roddyo,now everyone is gonna be able to do it,we don't stand a chance!!Ron G

  21. #21John H2009-01-01 09:02

    Heres a few from some of our jobs.

  22. #22roddyo2009-01-01 09:06

    We Still Got Some Secrets It's never to your advantage to tell ALL you know. I'd say we both got plenty of secrets left.:usa If anyone that reads this feels like it helped them in any way they could make a donation to my PayPal Account. I sure could use the Money.

  23. #23John H2009-01-01 09:10

    a couple more.

  24. #24dieselnut2009-01-01 11:42

    Great pictures guys. Thanks for the help.

  25. #252004F5502009-01-01 22:33

    John H, how do you like the 548? We are looking for a skidder to log some land this winter to make some $$ since the excavation is dead. Looking at a Cat 515 grapple and a JD 548 from Nortrax, the JD has 1200 hrs and they want 90k, we are hoping we can rent and maybe purchase this summer and then begin to clear more of our own work as well. Anything to look out for on a 548 for problems?

  26. #26coopers2009-01-02 03:56

    A job I did a while ago. Nothing exciting.

  27. #27jlm3352009-01-03 17:02

    Theres a crew down here thats got a stump buster on a TD15 dresser, quite an impressive lookin machine..

  28. #28John H2009-01-03 21:44

    The 548 I love. Its a great size machine for what we do. We havent had many problems with it other than a starter and a few hydro lines. Ours is a E model. The newer G,G1,G2,G3 are a lot easier to work on because you can flip the cab over. Every one I know who has one loves then. One thing is make sure you run JD hydro oil in them or they'll eat pumps. The 515 I have run and it was OK. I like the Deer better. Cat doesn't make the 515 any more. They had some tranny issues with them I heard also. Hope this helps John.