I am sorry to say I never took any pics of my service trucks over the years. :Banghead The last earth company I worked work, Prince, the boss gave me a brand new truck, all the gear, and said rig her how I want and with what ever I want! I would go back to work for Joe any day! Now that I own my own company, so far a service truck is not in the picture or budget, if anything it will be a service trailer for recovery jobs. I own a trucking company by the way. Well, lets see what you drive around the job site! Sean
I like this one! Or if any of you guys in Cali could find a pic of Foster & Sons service trucks, they are the nicest I have ever seen!
Something between these two. Truck setup like the first one and the bed off the white one with royal blue/powder metallic. Smaller welder(500 amp), big enough air compressor to run airarc. A pintle trailer with diesel, oils, grease, and small set of tools would handle the refueling and fuild changes. That any of the big trucks could perform morning service, and the truck could be free for whatever is needed. It'll be a while before i get the truck, but i already have a smaller version of the trailer.
Opps, by service trucks I mean more on the mechanics service trucks, but lube trucks are cool also. Is there a way to edit posts? :bash At Prince we had that same Curry set up mounted on a Mack Granite.
Now that is a clean work truck! My personal vehicles rarely look that good.
Service/Utility Truck Here is our 2005 F550,6.0,5-sp auto,19000gvw---When it was new!!! The bed has 32 drawers,gen compartment,removable vice stands,line-x bed liner, rear lower boxes have flip-top lid's.The overhead rack rear crossbar swings out of the way and next crossbar is removable for tall loads.:drinkup
tonka, why are the axles so far back on that truck?
it's got a huge diesel tank on it i :beatsme its not mine.
Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. 1999 ih 4900 and a 2007 sti service bed with a 10,000 lb IMT crane, and 40 cfm hyd air compressor.
This is mine.
foster and sons clovis california
i like this one i saw at a RB Auction the other day
Yup like the 4x4 also
Do you work out of the McKinney branch or the Irving branch (or)?
ok I got some
3 more of 1 of our bigger trucks
I work out of the Ft. Worth store. But I do work other areas if needed.
I like that all-wheel as well, although I would want some "floats" on the front. I wonder why more service trucks aren't all-wheel drive, other than the obvious requirement that the mechanic be tall to reach the upper tool bins.:cool2
Probably the extra $40,000 the 4 x 4 option adds to the cost of a medium duty truck. with all the weight over the rear axle on most service trucks the front axle rarely digs in. a full locking rear end on a single axle and decent traction tires would give you enough traction to put it into some stupid places. I have seen more F-450 sized service trucks that were 4 x 4 but I think these were more for driving on ice and snow than getting around on the jobsite. plus the cost of the 4 x 4 on the super duyts is much much less than adding that option to an MDT. And as far as I know International and Chevy are the only company's offering an assembly line installed 4 x 4 option. ALL the others are done by after market up fitters.
Tonka, I must say that I like your taste! That first service truck, mmmm, thats my baby. For me, just put that body on a DAF CF85, 6x4. Put a Fassi or Ferrari crane on the front behind the cab, than I'd be happy.
servce truck from swizerland
Wicked! I love that mural on the side of the truck! Is that your truck? And the truck next to it? Could we see some pics of the working bits please?
heres a few, i know the last two are water trucks but......:drinkup
one of my truck Here a pic of my truck.Not as fancy as some of the others.
Thats a nice truck, with a nice miller!
Thanks,thats my BIG BLUE 402D.I have a Trailblazer 300D also.
Is that a plasma cutter next to the welder? If its a spectrum, is 1251 or a 2050? Do they still make the 402D or is it the same as the Big 40? Any way really nice welding rig, looks like you can really burn some metal.
No thats not my plasma could be another tool box or air reel not sure what your refering to.Behind the welder,on the right is the TB 300D covered up.I have a Hypertherm plasma Pwr Max1250 cuts 1"
Not really my ultimate service truck but its ultimately what i ended up with. when i put it together it got NEW EVERYTHING. Nothing annoys me more than having to repair things when im in the field just to finsish a job. I
I like the stainless Lincoln in the bed, is it a vantage 400?
Its a vantage 500. EVERYONE I talked to said to avoid the 400's, Especially the repairman who work on them. so far its been a great machine but its just got a tick over 100 hours on it
Thats a great machine good luck with it.
Service Bed About how much is a new service bed if you don't mind me asking. As cheap as trucks are I had Rather just rig up my own VS buying a used service truck. Thanks, Roddyo
I use to see this truck all the time on the road. As far as I know, they do have another 4x4 like this running around with floats. Someone from my area also runs one very similar to it. Pretty cool rig if you ask me.
Bought that one about a year ago from Service Trucks International in Sioux Center, Iowa. 11ft bed with drawers in left front compartment, bolt bins over drive axle, hyd out and down outriggers, and 40 cfm hydraulic air compressor was $36,000 delivered. A good plenty but they are built to last. This one has pressurized compartments that keep dirt and water out works good, haven't seen that option on to many other brands. One of the best investments I have made. All ready had the crane, one of there 10,000# cranes was $19,000 with a wireless remote. Thats why the old one got put on this bed. Added a few more things in the past year miller bobcat and of course the much needed straight stacks.
any one have any pictures of service trucks with knuckleboom cranes.
The truck that I run is a Kenworth T300, with a maintainer bed. It has a 500 amp miller welder with the air pack, 10k crane, willburt night scan light tower, 70 gal. waste oil tank, and 3 70 gal fresh oil tanks. Our company runs 5 trucks, 2 335 peterbilts, 2 T300s, and and old school L8000. We travel alot, which is what facilitates the bigger trucks, but you can never carry enough stuff when you are 500 miles from the shop! I only have a pic of the L8000 on this computer, will post my Kenworth when i fire up the other computer. My ultimate service truck would be a 379x pete, or a T800 on a tandem axle with big HP backed by a 13 speed or bigger tranny and a 36" sleeper, with a 14k crane, 60cfm hyd. compressor, 500amp welder. Compartment space on a service truck is a big priority in my book, thats the logic behind the tandem axle, plus we tow a trailer alot, moving buckets, grapples, whatever we need and it would allow us more gross when loading up.
Oh yeah. Same style for me. I think the 60cfm compressor would be overkill for me. I don't work on pavers or concrete trucks. The other is the sleeper. I don't think the advantage overrides the extra weight for me. I am always pretty close to a hotel. This is what we run. T300's and T370's. 11' carco bodies, 8k wireless Autocranes, 47cfm hydraulic compressor(i think), Miller 250 bobcats.
These are the pics that i mentioned earlier
379EXHD 500hp Cat Service truck 379 American class, 250"WB. Took off sleeper and installed factory unibuilt back window.This box was custom made for us, but the builder was too slow so I had to finish most myself. It has 800 gal fuel, 3-35gal oil tanks, 1-35gal antifreeze, and 150gal water tank for built in AC power washer and fire protection hose. It has a Bobcat 250 Diesel welder/batt charger. The reels are mostly 100ft COX, but a couple are Hannay 50gal/min fuel reel and a power washer reel. It has 8" bullcut stacks/Auto crane/ac compresser/rear air for dolly/rear hydrulics hookups/pintal and receiver hitch. I made all shelfs,tanks,doors, and finished all welds, mounted crane, and wired. The box was just a shell when I got it. Painted and tons more. This truck supports 4 combines and support equipment. Its my dream truck and I'm still out of room. lol
Good looking 379 JF why the oversize load sign, were you pulling somthing with it?
Might be pulling a combine trailer. He looks to be a custom cutter. Looks like a sweet service truck.
379 EXHD 500 cat Thanks..I didn't have much of a night life when I was building it. We havent pulled a combine with it, not sure we could scale the weight. But we pull double head movers, large campers and if a grain truck goes down we could pull a 28ft grain hopper on a dolly if needed. What I thought was if your going to own a 2 ton truck, why not just go twin screw and hold more wieght and be able to pull heavy equipment. The old service truck couldn't pull anything or hold enough fuel. Put new brakes on old truck everyother year.
An Alaskan Contractor- who loves KW C-500's and uses them for every possible application- including 2 as service trucks.
He is currently building 2 more as service trucks- I'll try and get some pics.
Jeez 'Logger it looks like you could drive that service truck thru the middle of the woods and it wouldn't get hurt. Those are some serious trucks you don't see anything like that around here.
Trouble is, most of them are 9' wide, and probably overweight too! They are tough as nails, but would never fly down south where the troopers roam...........LOL.
awesome trucks keep them coming!
More pics couple pics
I think I've seen that Jensen Truck out on the road, where all do you guys cut at? I've worked for a custom crew for the past three summers now. Sykora Harvesting from Beardsley, MN if you've heard of them. We had 2 F-350's we used but it sure would've been nice to have a bigger truck like that. We had to have several other pick ups or make a few trips to town to get enough fuel everyday. We dont need alot of tools because all the combines are all new and under warranty so if anything major happens we dont have to mess with it anyway, we just call Deere and they take care of it. They are getting so complicated anymore that you can do much more than change the oil without a laptop anyway!
I started this thread a while ago, and I keep looking, but still have no pics of my service trucks from over the years. Gonna turn my pick into a mini service truck soon. Removed the busted tool box, gonna get a Roll-N-Lock cover, and a small tool box. Then a $150 mini 1000W generator and a 150psi air compressor and hose to run some tools. Basically be able to change tires on my truck and trailers with out killing my self while on the road.
Get yourself a wheelbarrow style air compressor like on the trucks in the pics I posted, I dont know how I did anything before I had one. It seems like we use them everyday. We got 2 of them at work and I've got one on my personal truck. I've run a 1/2" impact and aired up 24.5 truck tires, you gotta remember you dont have 100 cfm behind you but they will do the job. To add a little more capacity we plumbed one into a old truck air tank and mounted it up under the frame out of the way. You dont have any more pressure but the extra capacity helps alot. I'm also a big fan of the honda motors, mine always starts within the first few pulls everytime and is very dependable.
I want the gen to be able to run electric tools and lights and other stuff also or I would get a simple gas air compressor.
Is there alot of money to be made in custom cutting? It looks like you guys have alot of high dollar equipment tied into it. Love that pete that thing is awesome.
Just custom cutting can make ok money if the WEATHER don't screw it up, which happens often. Our main work is our own farm and custom cutting usually just helps keep equipment up for the farm.
Oh I know what your saying about making many trips to fuel up. Usually would have to make a trip at midnight than a couple in the morning. Somtimes when we split up machines I still have to do it with a pickup. We harvest in Caldwell, Bennington, Birdcity KS. Bigsprings NE. Martin, Mcintosh SD. And close to Bismarck. Then we head back to Iowa for our crops. I think I have herd of you guys. But don't remember any time seeing your equipment. But I barley remember my own birthday most times. Ryan
Yes and No, Some years can be really good while others can almost break you. Kinda why I'm glad I just operate the equipment instead of pay for it. I know a few guys went under a couple years ago when fuel was over $4 a gallon and they had trouble finding work. We cut for the same guys every year and many of them have been customers for 20+ years so theres a little security there but you just cant depend on anything its always a gamble. Two years ago in Oklahoma we had an amazing crop 50+ bushel wheat and picked up alot of extra work, cut nearly 8000 acres there and then this year they got hailed out and had a frost at the wrong time and we barely cut 3000 acres and averaged about 20 bushel/acre. There is alot of money tied up in equipment! We run 6 combines and at 300,000 each it seems like alot but we re trading them off every year so really your only paying what they depreciate which is like 40 or 50k a machine. They are definitely a large expense but you dont wanna forget about all the supporting equipment, Trucks, trailers, fuel, employee room and board, wages, insurance, permits, etc....... The list goes on and on. I knew I'd seen that Jensen truck somewhere, it kinda catches your eye. We cut around Rocky, OK, Rush Center and Atwood, KS, Onida, SD, Donnnybrook, ND and finish up on their home farm in Beardsley, MN. I'm sure we ve crossed paths somewhere and I'll probably see ya again.
If you wanna run any electric tools your gonna need more than a 1000w generator. A friend of mine got a 1200w gen to help build a barn where he didnt have power yet and it wouldnt run a circular saw or a drill. We ended up borrowing one and just using his to run one work light and a dewalt battery charger and that was about all it wanted.
Great pics!
2007 Fuso FG140 It's funny looking, and rides like a buckboard but it's a 4x4, turns on a dime, and has AC. Sure beats our old 1990 F450. Never knew if I was going to make it to the jobsite without breaking down myself. The last pic is for a couple of old buzzards. (3rd try)
1986 Kenworth W900B. Dual exhaust, air cleaners, aluminum wheels. Everything you need, or can think of, as far as a sevice truck goes. Needs a little TLC, and a paint job is all. A little pinstriping and some polish. Sorry for the lousy scan,pics arent very clear..........
Wow some of you guys have some nice rigs here is the one I run.
I showed the wife .....she said good god its a full size rig what do you do with something that big. Answer: ANYTHING YOU NEED TO !!!!! Puts my F700 and autocrane to shame !! Nice truck ! A rolling fully equipped shop. What kind of crane ?? R/O or pitman ?
This Still is not my "ultimate " service truck but it is the nicest I've had in 25 yrs of field work
Whats the point of the extra cab?
That's the techs office. Extra cab is nice. Place to keep manuals, all your paperwork and logs, files, etc. I used to drive a service truck with extra cab, found it so much more useful than a cramped single cab. Freedom to move around a bit. :yup
Extra cab is nice never seen one on a t300 though
Awesome truck!!! I dig it, you have more pictures of it.....
LEG room!
Instead of costly 4x4 on a service truck, has anyone seen or driven one with central tire inflation to lower the pressure on the rear axle?
What branch are you at and when/how did you get a Dodge?
I have 2 pictures but I can't post them being my first post, sorry.
Here is our new baby Jus got it custom made last year but it's all inclosed to keep the snow out! sorry this is the only picture i got rite now , Kinda sucks cause the picker on the back is pritty cool.
I've got it on mine and makes a big difference. But I've also got locking diff, automatic chains, and floater front tires. I get around great.
Here is one I built, still running it. Hoping to build a new one next year.
PACattech what brand bed is that on your kenworth? the ex cab is a great option to have
How does the 6.7 TD run ? Do you do any extended Ideling ?
The 6.7 has been good. Lots of power better fuel economy then the 6.4 powerstroke. Parts are hard to get Sterlling dealerships and the local Dodge dealer ships dont stock much. The truck idles lots and so far no DPF problems.
Thanks. The fuel economy is not great on the F-550 , but amazingly so far its only had minor brake issues on the rear . You got a VMAC or what ?
No VMac unfortunately. I have on of these in the truck. http://www.airworkscompressors.com/ Cant say I am all that impressed with it. Doesnt put out as much air as a VMAC. It is really loud. Another engine to change oil and filters on. It takes up a big amount of space in the back of the truck, need air to keep from over heating which means you cant stake **** around it. The reason they went with this is to save fuel but the alternator on the compressor is to small to keep up with the crane and work lights. Did I mention it is really loud?!?!?
drifter does your unit keep the cab heat on or the ac on when the truck engine is not running? also what engine is in the unit you have?
The compressor engine will probably heat the cab. I havent tried it only becouse I am usually out in the middle of no where and if the truck wont start it could be a long walk to get cell service. When its cold out you have to have the truck engine running for atleast a half hour to get the compressor hot enough to start. Last time I was in getting some work done on the compressor the service guy mentioned that the had hooked them up to work the A.C. The compressor has a 2 cylinder kubota diesel.
Thats interessting , alot of extra weight too ? Its so easy to get these things way over weight too with some parts laying in the bed . You run any type of system off your cooling system to heat up equipment coolant for better winter starts in the bush ?
The Sterlings GVW is like 8800 kg and I am pretty close with no parts in the back. Not good when the road bans are on. Dont have any thing off of the trucks coolant system to heat up a frozen machine. I have a welder though. In the winter plug in the machines block heater and get the herman nelson going with a parachute. Couple hours at -45 and a guy can pretty much get anything to start.
drifter "get the herman nelson going" "parachute" please explain what you are doing with the parachute?
The herman nelson is a heater and the parachute is a actual parachute. Its made of silk so it will hang over the machine or drape over the machine. Keeps the heat in. Wish I had a picture.
I know I'm over the GVW 9026 kg constantly . I got a Miller in back for juice and apprentice welding/grinding school . Got a pair of quick disconnects on the front grill with ball valves and two length of hose , it will have a frozen machine running in less than 20 min . Some of my newer machines have ESPARs in them , so thats easy . I use a parachute to keep the snow off when I'm working in a snow storm , super easy to store and fold up .
parachute?? i am in southern indiana so the parachute idea is new but is a really great idea for working in the snow (which we had plenty of this winter) i will find me one before this winter
I like your coolant quick coupler idea thats slick. I would do that but I work for like 30 different outfits.
That would be alot of plumbing . Things still busy out your way ? We are moving at a better pace than last year .That Chile earth quake wrecked a bunch of pulp mills down there .
That would be alot of plumbing . Things still busy out your way ? We are moving at a better pace than last year .That Chile earth quake wrecked a bunch of pulp mills down there . Things are drying nicely and road restrictions lifted yesturday so its a good spring .
I need a new job!
the herman nelson and parachute thing all i know is a weed burner and a concrete blanket go a long way at -20f. all of this is so elaborate and well thought out.... leave it to the mechanics i guess.
I usualy light my Cigar with a weed burner on my way home .
NB concrete what does you company do log trucks? concrete? construction? general contractor? looks like you have "job security" with the list of equipment there Has it warmed up any there yet?
Logging contractors & Concrete contractors . Its warmed up some .
extra cab I always had singles till recently, the extra cab space really comes in handy if you work out of town much or if you have need for rain gear. Most of my essentials are stillin the front with me though.
I wouldn't call it the "Ultimate", but.. This is the hand-me-down 1990 Int I get to run service calls in. The labels on all the toolbox drawers are in spanish, (so far I've figured out "impactos") the cable on the crane is nasty, the whole truck is pretty rundown after a hard life in the gravel pit. BUT! I've outfitted it with one beautiful assembly that makes it all worth it. That's a really bad photo of my custom "Drum Jumper Unit" I can pull up next to a downed mixer, hook up two pressure lines and a case drain, hit the pto on the service truck and spin 10 yards over fast enough to kill a load, or use the control valve to even off load the mud if I want to. So far I've tested it on a load of sand, maybe I'll never have to use it, but it's nice to know I have it.
Looks like a handy rigg Muffler Bearing.I love the "drum jumper unit" thats pretty cool.How do you like the lincoln gas drive welder?
I don't have any leads for it yet!!! hahaha
Quite a few nice service trucks but dont think they would like being dumped in the middle of W.A Aus in the iron ore mines.....seem to be more on road type trucks. Once I get a post count up il post some pics of service trucks or lube trucks as you guys seem to call them P.S love this site
Nothing remotely close to what most of you guys have but it does the job. Space is a problem though, have to pull a trailer sometimes.
Hi there, welcome to another Mitch, What kind and year truck is that?
Hi Mitch (feels weird typing that ) My service van is a Mitsubishi Colt, I think its called a L200 in the rest of the world. The dump truck is a Volvo A30E.
I used to use an '82 4x4 1-ton toyota with a 7 foot service bed. I got strange looks here in the U.S. from people who didn't believe they were real trucks. Nowadays the japanese companies don't import much but consumer pickups so I use a chevy. I do like the extra space in it.
mitchSA you would be alot more efficent if you had a bigger truck or do you just work close to the shop?? i just cant imagine having a truck that small i could not even get my basic tools in there but it would be great to have for parts run
Hey Fservice, I work within a 400km radius of the workshop. 99% of the work is done in the field. Big trucks like you guys have are not common here. Most of the field service guys. CAT KOMATSU etc have vans similar in size to mine. Differernt story on the mines though, they run service trucks. The toolbox is big enough. The side you can see open is just storage, the other side has drawers and some more storage.
mitch how about some pics of the service trucks from the mines? looks like things are a little different over there than they are here thanks for the info
That's really the Art of Field Work, making do with what you've got!
Amen to that !! My 06' F650 has been in the shop for two months. Computer injectors and brakes. Ive been working out of the wife's 300SD Mercedes with some tools loaded in the trunk. Talk about snug fit.
By far not the ultimate. Bought it about a year ago for side jobs. Been fixing it in my spare time. Everything works but she aint the prettiest. These pics are when I first brought it home. 91' F700 with a 93' 5.9 Cummins , Eaton 5 speed & hydraulic brakes. 6000LBS Auto Crane on a 80's Dutec bed. Best of all no computers or emission crap !!
jealous of all you rigs verry sick
1990 FORD F-800 460 gas 5 speed , 2 speed rear. 12'body ranger 8 welder,12.5hp IR compressor' 100 gal fuel transfer tank. small auto carne
nice, I like the really low step on the back, and that crane folds away into nothing
Some very nice trucks here! Keep them coming. Wish I knew how to post a picture.
DABB, here is a thread that explains pic posting -
my new service truck! i have have something to post in this thread. anyway, my dealer had this baby and i looked at in once, then lookes around a bit, looked at it twice, then i haggered with him for about 5 mins and it was min. it has in industrial 7.3 in it, runs 65 mile an hour. drives straight as has been very well taken care of. it has a large diesel tank on board with pump and all; the jazz. it also has a sullair compresser and oil evac. system. it has a heavy duty hitch. please let me know what you guys think and how to set it up right.
one more, thanks in advance
imagine having this baby for going up and down the highway View attachment 789FLT-3.jpg
Well, I guess you win, I've never seen a bigger or more expensive fuel and lube truck.
HOLY S#%@!!!! That is S U P E R lube truck!!! Wait....... er... that don't sound right
whats the capacity on that rig
having trucks like that would almost obviate the pain of working in the cold all day! very nice.
That truck was built by Ground Force out of Post Falls Idaho. I have seen several projects come out of there like that. Pretty neat stuff.
heck .. he could pull his own portable shed around with that monster
what does one need a lube truck that big for? it must take a dozen tankers to fill it up!
Here's my daily driver The Kids have named all of my service trucks. This is "THE MARHMELLOW"
I dont know if its th same body or not, but a good friend of mine works for Ground Force and about 10 years ago he gave me a tour of the shop when they were building one of those bodys. Pretty impressive stuff.
How about some pics or posts on how your tools and equipment is organized in the trucks? How about some custom storage items you have built etc.
Here's mine. 2005 Sterling, Stellar 10620 Crane and bed w/ hydraulic outriggers
Here is my 2008 Peterbilt 367 with 500 ISX, 18 Speed, 46K Rears on Air, 20K Front. Body has a 14000 lb crane, 60 cfm screw compressor and Miller BIG 40 welder.
Okay TomV, you win Close thread now That truck is:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
That is one nice pete!!! Kyle
Is that a feterl box, The one on there web site?
Tom that is a great service truck!! I have one question are you out of room yet?? lol i said when i got my new truck i would never fill it up i was wrong when i first started i was in a 3/4 ton with a service bed. then to a C6500 with a Auto Crane bed, now i have a 06 kenworth with a 14 foot IMT body & crane and i wonder how i ever made it in the smaller truck. I think you win the ultimate service truck contest
its not as big as the 785 service truck but it costs about as much, 40,000L diesel, 10,000L Hyd, 10,000L waste, 4 other oils, 777D driveline
Damn thats a big service truck! Are you based at a mine rare ss?
Yes Adam that is a feterl body but I do not no if it is on feterl web site, I thought they went out of business.
FSERVICE, to answer your question I was out of room the first month I had it. I said the same thing, I will have plenty of room, there is never enough room.
Arent you Tom from Bristol? I've met you before.....youre a top shelf dude!!!
Yes rdoucette I am TOM V from Bristol, thanks.
theres mine. could be bigger but gets the job done.
That's a kick-ass truck
Nice truck ! Kyle
service trucks are like work shops, everyone wishes they had a little more space...
here is my new service truck. 2011 Ford F550
the new trucks are amazing, until you pop the hood then the thought of ever having to work on them makes you appreciate your older iron.
I agree with that, my old '96 F450 is paid for and keeps making me money!
Great box train, I like my old truck, but that is one great looking box.
well Quackattak keep your eyes open i run all over oregon.some day you might see me on the road or in your town.
I'm always around the hermiston area train, your truck shouldn't be hard to spot. I hardly drive mine into town, I prefer my 82 mercedes.
i should be around hermiston on the 3rd or 5th of september i think.
what are you up to in hermiston trainwreck?
Amazing pictures! Looking forward to see more
How long do you expect service trucks to last? Here's a story about how some of the service body manufacturers deal with durability: Service Truck Selection Tips And here's a story about building service trucks on Class 5 or smaller chassis: Know Your Small Truck Trade-Offs
well this December my service truck will be old enough to vote. I expect it to last atleast until its old enough to drink. Its still in damn good condition. just a bit underpowered for todays traffic.
I saw a truck like this one in north Idaho. Seems like your company has allot of nice new trucks. Except for the one that hit that motorcycle on HWY 95 this summer
Definitely an admirable working-man's rig. That stainless Lincoln still keeping the rust off?
Mine's 25 now, I expect it's gonna want to settle down and get married soon, I hope that won't be too much of a hassle. I'm with you on the unneeded complexity of the newer trucks, heck, I can put a brand-new crate engine from the Chevy dealer in mine for just a few payments on a new one. If it cuts off, there's only about 3 things it can be...
My only beef with the big stainless vantage is that the fasteners used under the skin. you know the spring caged panel clips are just mild steel and are rusting and leaving rust streaks down the stainless steel sides of the machine. Seems like a $10 problem on a $15,000 machine. I think if this was anywhere but sunny California they would look much worse. Which surprises me since i been to the Lincoln factory and if that isn't the rust belt you would be hard pressed to find somewhere that is. Other than that the truck just got a new set of six Michelin's and its Alcoa 10 holes shinned up. ITs $55,000 worth of tools in a $5,500 truck.
Many great looking trucks in this thread. I worked for an equipment rental company for about 13 years driving their field trucks before deciding to go out on my own about 4 years ago. Here is a picture of mine this morning. I have a new bed for it that is a crane bed and an Auto Crane 4004EH. I just need to slow down long enough to get them swapped over.
hi guys. really like all of the trucks. want to show you my new one that i am building, but not sure how to post a picture of it. anyone help. thank you
Welcome to the Forums Mexicanic3!:drinkup Take a look at this thread - That should guide you through, courtesy of ATCO.
thank you cm1995, i checked it out but i am still unable to post pictures. i am new to this forum and i might not have the right privileges. when i go to the post, my screen does not show a paper clip or manage attachments
My apologies mexicanic3, you need to have 3 posts to be promoted from "probationary member" to "junior member", it's to to keep the spammers out. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't see your post count. Just make another post and you should be good to go. Go to the "Test" forums and make one there -
thank you again i will give it a try. have a good night bud
ok guys i can post now. here is my new service truck, driving it but still working on it. hope you like it
I am seriously impressed ! This has to be the coolest service truck I have ever seen, nothing like this in the UK, reply to KW Kat, page 1
What is going between the cab and utility body?
I like the blacked out look.
I have to put my platform in then my welder and compressor are going in there. I will put a couple of boxes under the platform also.
Nice... That's what I need for work... :notworthy
My new truck Just got this at the beginning of the winter. My old one was 11 years old with 300,000+ miles. I am liking having a new ri de.
That miter cut stack is kick ***. CAT 3126? They're not much on power but they sound good straight piped. I"ve got a bullhauler turnout on my topkick. lol
My pride and Joy 07 Kenworth T300s, Steller 10,620lb crane stellar srs40 piston compressor. miller welder
That is a nice truck. Kyle
Thank You
Holy Crap! I just found this forum, WOW! Now I feel a little out classed. I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD and 14' enclosed trailer. Welding and fab stuff on the truck. The trailer is basically a rolling machine shop. Now, I have truck envy.... time to step up. Great looking trucks, all of them. Mike
'12 Dodge 5500 4x4 - 11' Summit body New service truck at work. It was supposed to be ready for the season, but between us leaving for OK 3 weeks early and Summit having delays we had to run the 97 dually for the first month. Can't find any pictures of the old one and thankfully its a thousand miles away.
Sharp truck, congrats!:drinkup Is that a fuel trailer?
Yep. 500 gallon diesel tank and 120 gallon DEF tank. Fuel pump is 45gpm engine driven and the DEF pump is 12V. Only the truck and and my 290 use DEF atm and neither uses much. All 3 combines will have it next year. Combines will need DEF every 2-3 days. Gonna be fun when we're 60+ miles from the nearest bulk source. Plan is to get another combo diesel/def tank built to go in front of and under the air compressor.
No option to keep DEF around in the large totes? i personally like this setup http://www.liquidynamics.com/newProducts/def2Tote.html seems like you could set one in the back of the truck and forget about it till its empty then lift it out and put another one one. Leave the wagon and the transfer tanks for the Diesel. thats just my opinion though.
This isn't my truck, but it is impressive.
That is a bad ass CT660 Kyle
Have any more pics up close of the truck and trailer? Really nice rig!!!
I saw that truck is Wadsworth the other day, very cool! Like the exhaust too!
wow there are some nice trucks out there, i am building a small service truck for myself and friends to use away from home, once i am able to post some pictures i will, i am in to vintage cars etc. so i am always looking and going off the path to pull something out of the grave and restore it.
Do any of you folks have a welding table, platform' or deck built into your service truck? That is probably a dumb question, most if not all of the stuff in the field is too big to put on a table. I sort of feel that welding on a piece sitting on your truck with the ground clamp on the piece, might cause harm to the electronics or electrics of the truck. Or does it not matter? If any Canadians are on here I would like to know how many of you folks have a welding area on your service truck.
Been looking at these for some time... know some people who have had them custom built by these nice folks, customizations like you wouldn't believe. http://www.seyllerbodies.com/index.html
379 pete CAT 3406 18 SPEED
Nice Pete !! Kyle
Thanks DEERE310SG me and the boys in the shop built it 3 years ago when I decided I needed something bigger .
now that's badass, and what I need HATCHEQUIP - whats the capacity of that knuckleboom?
very nice truck:thumbsup did you buy the bed or build it in house? how many tons is the knuckleboom? I like where you have it mounted, not like most that mount it behind the cab.
14,000 at 9 foot close to 50 foot tip height 2 hyd. extensions 3 manual extensions and it has hand or pendant control has its own outriggers plus truck has out and down outriggers in front of bed. we added to truck frame at back and front tandem is where rear tandem used to be actually went and cut frame rails off of another truck at just the right place and didnt have to drill the first hole plus the bed has a 8" frame under it. Then we found a bed to modify the way I wanted we built the back end and made sliding drawers for all the compartments and added the doghouse on top for extra enclosed storage of bolt bins and parts storage. Lincoln welder with 271 detroit engine that we added a front clutch and pulley to for running the 4 cyl. air compressor with 80 gallon tank tucked into outside front top of bed behind welder. Put a 24 volt alternator on the 271 since it cranks off truck batteries then when that engine is running it keeps the 2 8d batteries in the rear bumper charged that have there on set of cables for jumping. Truck weighs about 48000 the way it sets.
Wow! Very impressive looking truck you have there Hatch. :thumbsup
Thanks everyone
I like the idea of driving the comp with the welder engine. I've always wanted to run a hyd pump off my welder for my crane. This is proof an experienced mechanic can set up a killer truck. I had no idea Lincoln ever put a 271 in a welder. Is it loud like the 471's and 671's?
Hatchequip can you post some pics of your drawer sets? And also where did you get your drawer slides from?
No louder than a briggs or kohler as long as you have a good muffler on it haha, and its powering 4 cylinder compressor. I allso have it tied into the truck air with a on off switch and one way check valve and orficed line so I can let it fill the tank if I want while the truck is running and when you get to the job the tank allready has 125 lbs in it. I like the old lincolns they just weld and start an ark like nothing else Ive welded with and the 271 is great on fuel but they havent used them in I dont know when probably early mid 70s?? some body else will have to answer that. Ill try to get some more pics.
Here are some pictures of the boxes and welder air comp. mods.
Thats one hell of a truck.......why no sleeper though?
yea I know thats what the boys joke me about that and not going thru the drive thru anymore actually the truck had a huge sleeper on thats why I didnt have to lengthen the frame that much. first thing we pulled off and sold and like I tell them at night I want a bath and a king size bed
a few of my tinker toy...
Nice rig you got there
thanks
Nice rig Pipelinemech. Where are you out of?
Nice truck there Hatchequip and thanks so much for the pics! Nice fab work! Jerry
Hatchequip, did you ever answer the other fellow's question about where you got your drawer slides? I want to put drawers in my new (to me) truck.
Orig from louisiana, live in eastern ohio now.
thanks and got to go thru records and find out
Well, I suppose I should show mine off, '91 GMC Topkick, 3116 CAT. Not "ultimate" but I like it.
I like it
Ya nice Topkick. Kyle
Thanks. A big truck would be nice but this one's paid for and gets 11-12mpg. Pretty hard to give that up! And it turns shorter than most pickups do.
Good looking 175 let me guess dead battery LOL
LOL, I can't remember if that was Jack's (yours) or Troy's. I know it was when Jeff still had it. I was putting new radiator hoses on it that day.
Sterling service truck Here is my 1999 Sterling service truck with a Cat 3126B engine & automatic Allison tranny. I would not be able to operate wthout it now, but when I bought it, I was worried it was too big and now every inch of it is in full use.
Ya, I could have a tractor trailer setup with a 53' van trailer and still have the SOB full I think. We're not too far from each other, I'm about 45min north of KC.
What town you from, I am thinking just south of St Joe. Have you been keeping plenty of work? We have been swamped for last 10 years and can not ever seem to get caught up. We do all types of commercial plumbing inside and outside and also excavation. I know what you mean on the 53' van, seems like everytime I buy or build something I always end up wishing it was bigger.
Here is the info on the drawer slides that some have asked about I used 2 different outfits bold hardware co. out of sacramento ca. 1 888 300 8022 bought from them bulk but they do sell 1 at a time and allso used moore industrial hardware out of cincinnati ohio 1 888 moo reih have had good luck with both outfits and they have a huge selection of items. both are on the web sites. check em out and I hope this helps
Thanks Hatch, I'll check 'em out.
Ya, just east of St. Joe. I've been a mechanic for 10 years and independently for the last 4. I could literally work around the clock if I wanted. There's hasn't been one single day in the past 4 years that I absolutely had nothing to do. I always have something going on and consider myself very lucky.
Thanks Hatch on the drawer slide info! Jerry
Here is the service truck I bought last week . It is nothing fancy but it fit my budget and was set up the way I wanted with a 5000 lb crane and 35 cfm air compressor with pto drive hyd pump. I looked at several trucks with gas compressors and electric over hyd cranes and didnt like the thought of them. I am going to do some work on the rear bumper probably replace it with a large square tube for a work platform and give some storage inside for boring bars and prybars. I am also looking for some advise on drawer sets the past owner kept the drawer sets. I have priced american eagle drawers and AG body drawers but had to sit down when I got the price $2400 for 30" x40" with 7 drawers that makes snap on look cheap. I have had thoughts of building some drawers or just putting in a cheap craftsman or napa box. I can buy a desent box and pan brake for $700 and the slides are $40 a set a few sheats of 16 or 18 gauge and a lot of hours work but I would always have the brake for jobs later and could say I built the drawers my self. If I use a cheaper box such as a craftsman how long would it last and how hard would the drawers open after a few thousand miles? I wont be working out of this truck every day as I have pleanty of shop work to keep me busy but the line boring side of the buisness kind of demands some mobilty and there are always farmers that have a small job that they cant do themselves but dont want to drive a tractor 20 miles to my shop. I have used the crane 4 times this week in place of my cheery picker and it is great.
fOR YEARS i HAD TOOLBOXES IN TRUCKS SOME WOULD SLIDE OUT ON BIG HEAVY DUTY SLIDE OUT SHELF AND OTHERS WERE STATIONARY LAST TRUCK WE PUT TOGETHER WE BUILT ALL SLIDE OUT DRAWERS AND i LOVE IT ON THE TRUCK BEFORE THIS THAT WE still have it had both "darnet had caps on sorry about that" but the best boxes to last have been mac botttem boxes just pull the wheels and shim in tight so its not shaking around and 3 or 4 drawer insert boxes over the wheels. Cut the top out of tall box with double doors one time and let a bottem box down in it and fixed the top where it could be bolted back on, 17 years later its still in good shape
I destroy a craftsman box about every 8 months In my truck. The drawers collapse into each other. I would get something different but my compartments are only 18" deep and snap on boxes are at least 20" deep.
Quality of American Eagle products not that great. Maintainer makes drawer sets too but equally expensive. If you have time build your own to suit. Tryin to post pics of my truck but need to resize. Need help with that.
My Truck Always wanted an extended cab for night shift work. Truck is 2010 International 4400 with Maxxforce 9 and Allison RDS 3000 trans. Toyed with shortening the frame but couldnt part with box behind cab. Always need extra space. Truck has Braden 20000 LB winch in rear frame.
Cowman dean lee up at ctech manufacturing in wisconsin made mine. ctechoem.com i love mine. been all over the country and no problems. they make each drawer set to custom fit your measurements so less wasted space.
Diagonal Brace, nice truck. What make/model is the knuckleboom?
What do you mean by a wheelbarrow style air compressor? The gas recip? Is it not bolted down?
What kind of equipment do you have on there, Drifter?
Shenendoah it is an Autocrane AC8. Also have a Miller AirPak welder that will be mounted as soon as time permits. Great truck. Keeps up with traffic.
Here is a Western Star we did for a customer that went to Paupa New Guinea 4x4 with big dual front snorkels. 14' IMT Dominator II with 10,000lb. crane 60 CFM compressor and Miller Bobcat 250. I'll post more of the cool stuff we have built over the years!
Here is a Kenworth T300 that we did for a customer up in the oil sands.
im look at build a service body for construction work. i want Aluminium but i cant find a custom manufacture i was looking at a 13 foot body on a ram 5500 with 108 cab to axle 60in high tool box or to the bottom of the lumber rack. i was wondering if this is too long of a truck. i am a volunteer firefighter i was looking at light rescue bases on 550 chassis http://www.ejmetals.com/deliveries.html
Check out JOMAC service bodies, they build them out of aluminum.
how are the 6.7 cummins hold up vs the 6.7 power stroke
Try Brutus out of Penticton B.C. Nice well built bodies, there is a Yellow C-500 6x6 they did that I saw a couple of years ago, very impressive. http://www.brutusbodies.com/
My 06 T300 putting a new Taylor 9972 Reachstacker together, I can post more pics if anyone wants to see them
It's not my truck but there is an Oshkosh service truck for sale here in Reno Nv that is pretty nice. The dealer that has it is Eng's. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it.
That would be me (raises hand).
that Oshkosh service truck has been for sale for the last 5 years. last time i inquired about it the price tag was $235,000. but it was a cool beast
how is the truck holding up and how many miles on it. any photo on the inside of the boxes thanks
I posted this in another thread thinking it was this one, so I'll post it here as well. Just found out - we're getting one of these as a fuel/service truck........ And best of all I have a brand-new 789D chassis sitting in the yard on which to install it ............
My new welding rig. I also do align-boring, thus the need for all that storage. 300 hp IH, Allison trans, Lincoln air-vantage 500, Climax boring and auto welder. Last pic is my previous rig, '05 F650
Hatchequip, most of the service trucks I have seen are using telescopic cranes, yours seems t be about the only service truck utilizing a knuckle boom. Do you have som photos of the boom in use in different scenarios? I can see it being extremely useful in tire changing, and I do quit a lot of that.
Bob the welder, I am guessing that 4th picture is a 988g or h, are you reboring the center pins on it or what? We did pins and bushings on ours not too long ago, caught it before it wen bad.
Actually it's a 992. That was a couple years ago and did the lift frame and mating bucket bores, and i think one end of one of the tilt levers. I've done a few 992 and 990 articulation and bucket control pin and bearing bore locations just in the last couple months so hard to remember exacly what I did on each one. lol. Woops, my bad... I thought you were talking about the last pic. I'd have to look at my notes to remember what machine the articulation job was. Only had to repair the lower bores on that one, and they were just barely out of spec.
Nice to see friendly faces on here or at least their trucks.
Bobthewelder, when an articulation job on a large wheel loader comes up, like an 88 or 92, or a boom on a 385, do you retain the responsibility of dis assembly and re assembly, or is that done before you get there and finished after you leave? We actually had the top bearing break one day on our 88g. That was fun work, something that a mechanic can really sink his teeth into. It was the first one I had eve done, and I was peasantry surprised that the front end balances the way it does. But I guessed wrong on the back end. It was properly blocked and there was no fall or anything, but it was a surprising discovery.
Hey Taylor, I would like to see more of your Taylor 9972 Reachstacker. Please post more.
Just a starting point, I wanted 4X4, but something more HD then a 550, I work out of a 2011 ford 550 of the company now but they are not standing up in the mud of the oil sands. So picked up a 2001 IH 4800 bucket truck to get the 4x4, southern US truck with air brakes and wet kit, Braden hydraulic front winch. Figure I can use the body with some mods for drawers, vented gas bottle storage crane mount etc. I'm going to remove the boom and install a 5005h auto crane ( a friend has on hand) and set my 27 cfm gas compressor and 280 Trailblazer on it (both I already had). Also going to hook the air tank to the truck so I won't need to fire the compressor for small jobs. Enclose the welder and compressor area and install a 20k btu heater in there and the tool drawer area for those -25 mornings Graco 1050 evac with 100 gals storage. Also 100 gals fuel. Espar engine and cab heaters to reduce idle time. I'm thinking I'd like to install a cow town rear window sleeper for the occasional night on the road and to gain some cab space. Any thoughts? I would have liked a crew or extended cab but it was hard enough to find a pre dpf 4x4 already. My 550 has had an engine, complete front end rebuild and brakes in 21000 km and 2300 hours, 1800 of them are idle time so I'm trying to reduce idle time. Ford denied warranty based on the high idle hours. So I figure I'm better off with a older solid southern truck with a tilt front end and a engine I can in frame if ever need be. Company truck
Keep us posted on your progress. I am looking for a International my self for a family cruiser and camper puller. Something like this. But it will have to be a lot more shiny.:cool2
DONT FORGET TO PUT A ONE WAY CHECK VALVE BETWEEN TRUCK AND COMPRESSOR. TRUCK MIGHT NOT LIKE 185 PSI
I think the valve I'm installing between the 2 tanks has a check in it as well. It prevents air from leaving the supply tank until there is 90 psi, (So I wont have to wait any longer for the truck to build its air) and I believe it wont reverse flow either, but I'll check. Thanks
Well I just bought this beast and I trying to come up with some layout options the previous owner was a welder/mechanic. I would like it all parts storage, tools storage, parts washer any ideas or thoughts would be awesome. I'll try to get some better pic's in the next few days
I'm thinking of some drawer set for driver front and hose crimper some where and I am thinking of boxing the area under the crane for more storage and maybe coming up over the cab for filter storage etc. where do you guys hide your air tanks there's not a lot of room under the bed what's the magic number on gals of air storage, not to much to waist space but enough to do the job.
This is my first Big service tuck I've built some handy 2500 and single wheel 1 tons here's some pic's of those....
This was my first 2500 chevy that I put together, I know one thing it was a hole lot easier building these on company money instead of your own pocket....
Okiecboy, What kind of air compressor did you use? Can only see air tank in pictures.
Owais 12vdc xd300 air compresser it does a great job and saves alot of space
I was fortunate enough to get a few new trucks in my days as a tire service tech. First in May 1992 was a 1992 SuperDuty with an FEC service body. Next in August 1997 was a 98 F-800 with an IMT stick boom/truck tire service body(hybrid). Finally in Nov. 1998 was a 99 Sterling(3126 w/9 speed) with an IMT #10 Tirehand. This was my favorite, but loved them all. Also had a 1992 SuperDuty with an FEC boom that I got used but not broken in yet(my first boom truck starting out doing OTR tires)
This is my 2005 Int 4300 This truck was actually built custom for International for shows and such. It's not bad. I certainly wouldn't mind more space though an a larger hyd crane!!
My brand new unfinished service truck
Yair . . . As I have mentioned before it amazes me that private operators can justify large service trucks for routine repairs on general contracting and farming equipment . . . different thing of course if working for a mine. For instance the U.K. poster tct tractors does wide and varied work out of the back of a Landrover and, like around here he would probably be priced out of the market if he had to charge the rates required to finance such fancy chariots. As I have mentioned, as an equipment owner no way would I be prepared to pay the rates I imagine would be needed, especially if it was just some "o" rings or basic welding . . . or do you charge for your expertise and throw the truck in free? Not trying to be a smart arse here, I genuinely don't understand. We all pretty much run the same gear and I am trying to get my head around the different cost dynamics within our industries. Cheers.
so how is the project coming along?? give us some pics/update PLEASE!!!!
scrub puller, I get paid from the time I start driving to a customers job until I get back where I started. Lets just say I get paid the same per hour as a 20 ton excavator operated and fueled (that makes it relative to wherever the readers are living)? Why because that's how much it cost for my tools and equipment to do my job. My customers demand the tools that I have, for instance a 300 amp welder is a minimum required for the air arcing and welding I do $5,000, they also require my crane $25,000 it lifts 8000 lbs real close but the biggy is I can remove hydraulic pumps, engines and attachments from there machines, they also require my air compressor $5,000 for fast removal of components, and then there are the hand tools and miscellaneous parts for repairing there equipment add this all together and wah-lah you are now packing 10,000lbs of goodies that the customers require and you need a 12,000lb (priceless) truck to haul it all around. My customers rarely call me to "replace an o-ring" or jump start a dead piece of equipment or change cutting edges or change oil, this stuff is usually performed by there operators. My customers leave me for the more complicated projects that require my special tooling, not to mention my "expertise". In regards to "it is different working in a mine" I can't get my head wrapped around this I think your actually saying somehow working in a mine is more valuable? that is not how it works in the U.S. anyways it is a free market. Another large cost I have is liability insurance my customers and the land owners they work for require me to have a $2 million policy this is $5,000 a year hopefully all these numbers are adding up for you! As far as TCTRACTORS and others like him anywhere in the world even 707 above there I would prefer to drive around a suv or a smaller "specialized" truck instead of a much larger truck! .......that is it for now I am interested in where this discussion is headed it may need to be posted under "shop talk" in its own thread..................TIO
Yair . . . theironoracle Thanks for your well considered and worded reply. I too am interested in continuing the discussion and, as you suggest, I think it warrants a new thread over at "shop talk". I'll start one and see if any other folks come on board the different ways we do things is fascinating to me . . . see you over there in the next few days. Cheers for now.
a couple of my chariot
Actually to work in the mine does not require a high level of expertise, we have a shop to back us up and a long list of spare equipment. But the guys in the seat don't even grease or fuel let alone change a fuse or filter. Further more they seem to prefer hiring those who could not if they had to. 1/2 the time we go there to explained how the machine should function or to acess the level of the problem then advise on a action plan to remedy generally if we can't fix it in a hour or two thy want us to more to the next machine. Also from a liability stand point, only mechanics can decide when a machine is repaired or still in serviceable condition and remove any lockout tags that may have been placed by someone who does not know if the perceived problem is really a fault Ken On, Canada
mike l, is that a f650 or 750?, I just bought an international with that service body and crane on it, the chassis has 400k on it and a bad motor so it needs a newer chassis, I always want to go with a kenworth t300 but currently in my area I can't find one that fits my budget and condition requirements and I am a ford fan that is my second choice......TIO
TIO, it is a 2002 f-650 with a 3126 cat and a 6 speed. i always wondered why the crane was on the left side. i'd love to have a kenworth too but since my boss bought it, i cant complain. You got any pics of your service truck?
The top one is a sterling bullet I ordered new in 2008 when I started my business sold it after about 2 years it was overweight with just the tools in the truck and nothing in the bed and was scary to drive very soft in the back end. The bottom truck is the replacement never overweight and and drives just fine, just full to the gills now after 3 years and probably going to get replaced next season. The next service truck will not be white totally sick of the "fleet look"..........TIO
Nice truck TIO. :drinkup I see you went with the Maintainer body on the second truck. I use a Maintainer myself. I've been around a number or bodies, have to say Maintainer is the toughest body I've worked with, and quality as well, have nothing bad to say about Maintainer. :drinkup
It funny every time is see a crane on the R/H side I always think "why is it on that side?'. Needless to say mine is one the left side and i love it that way. Personally all my hand tools and main work tools are on the left side so I try to always have my left side to the machine and having the crane right there when I need it just makes sense for me. So whats the reasoning for people preferring the right side ?
I don't know why people prefer the right side but it seems to be the standard set-up. it took me a little while to get used to mine after previously having a right side crane but now I don't even think about it. the original owner must have had a reason for it and ordered it that way
BB I think its because its just like you said your main work tools on left side and that's usually the heaviest side of the truck so they put the crane on the side that's loaded the lightest to try and balance out the load.
TIO I don't think I've ever seen a sterling that size is it just a relabeled F450 ford
its a rebadged dodge 5500. they only made 3000? of them in 08-09 I think. 6.7 cummins, aisin tranny. all dodge except for the badges.
hatchequip, mike l is totally correct! the power, the trans and the exhaust brake and wheel brakes were AMAZING! however it drove like it was a half loaded water truck constant steering and attention of which i have none especially when driving! besides i couldn't keep it from being overloaded always! now with the international it has no power i shift it constantly and the wheel brakes are hydraulic crap but it virtually steers itself. i need to get back to a kenworth like i used at my previous employer and all will be happy, happy, happy. all in time. i special ordered that sterling (dodge) even though i have been a ford fan all my life because i had heard (and experienced) so many horror stories about the powerjoke and the brakes on the 550's it saved me like $7,000 on the purchase price too! hind sight is 20/20 and i should have just laid out the 150k and got the kenworth! but if i did that i would just be trying to get a tandem axle now:beatsme so many wants!.....TIO
willie 59, i agree with the maintainer body as being very good equipment, if i had my perfect world i would special order a body from carco industries in Portland Oregon they are "custom" bodies built very well with excellent fit and finish from more of a "family owned" company rather than a publically traded company like terex which owns maintainer, but for now i will buy whatever is available at the best deal? thanks for the compliment on the truck yours is very nice also. there is actually a kenworth on truckpaper.com with the same body spec i called about it and got all the pictures but as much as i hate white trucks the wife hates red even more so she wouldn't let me park it in the driveway besides i think i am going to hold off til this one is a bit more worn and i special order a tandem....TIO
TIO one truck I always thought might make a good service truck was one of those fl freightliners with the 8.3 cummins and that extended cab. One of the companies I worked for bought me a new 1900 series international back in 88 with 466 and 6 and 2 and 4 wheel disk brakes I liked that truck but for the power, which was ok at best, but after the warrenty run out I twisted its tail a little and that did the trick that truck would pull, after the 2nd 100,000 miles it was still running strong when they turned it into a job flatbed.
I have a Fl 60 with extended cab and I love it . I put a third seat were the bed was and left the sides In and can still sleep there. My problem is after 10.000$ for a inframe and only 170,000 miles my 8.3 is puking oil out the crank case vent. At full speed it will push out 2 gal in 30 min. It does not make any sense. To make matters worse my truck has been sitting over a month while we work out of a f350 because were to swamped with work to fix it.
The first truck is the current one and the second one is the truck I'm fixing up to replace the old one! Jerry
Ah yes... a tornado truck. I kinda wondered where all those would end up at. Some were absolutely destroyed! A part of me wanted to see if they would let a person slip over there and get some parts and pieces. I work on the other side of town and some of things that got mangled would just make you sick!
alison auto, air brakes, air bag instead of leafs and it rides great. 2012
yep you got it its got a new cab on it and got a new hood sitting there for it just havnt had time to work on it! Jerry
Bobcats300, Is that a Pal finger body and crane? Have never seen one in person. How do you like it?
its not mine itsat my uncles shop but he let me run calls with it and i like the doors and drawers and how the crane isnt at a severe angle. we added a 60 gallon water tank that can run a pressure washer as you can see and a drain spout that goes to the back bench so we can wash our hands when working on sprayers and such. one drawback is definitely the sound of the compressor. its a high pitch whining sound thats annoying after a while. but other than that i like it. wish i had more pics but its great i recommend it and IMT and th water tank is a must to keep hands clean. take some hand soap i.e.gojo
Hey still learn'n did you buy it from an insurance pool or straight from momma cat? How much did you get? Was it just a shell or did it have drawers and bins in it still? What year? Sorry im nosy...
It is a 2003 we got it from a auto and truck dealer in Illinois it has a few drawers in the left front compartment and it has a vmac under the hood air compressor! The remote and most of the electronic equipment for the crane was gone! Hey I don't mind the questions! Jerry
so this has nothing to do with trucks... there was a Home Depot about 1/4 mile from the Cat dealer where your truck came from. Several times I had to fix an excavator that was finishing teardown on the HD. Kinda wierd pulling up and driving your service truck onto the glossy polished concrete floor and drive between the orange rack (with merchandise STILL hanging on them!) and put tracks back together for the customer. Anywho... put some pic up when you get her all fixed up!
ok will have to do that! So they tore the concrete out on the hd to? I suppose they wouldn't just rebuild on it! Jerry
Our Mercedes Actros 8x8 servicetruck from Belgium
That looks like a nice ride, 8x8 too!
i knew somebody over on that side of the pond had a service truck & NOT a jeep/land rover!!! thanks for postin the pic its a good looking ride
Heebus.....now THAT is a service truck. ...makes my ford seem like a bit of a joke!
Twin steers niiice
Twin steers that drive!
Thats quite a rigg CAT349ELR :thumbsup Like the rear mount crane and enclosed shop bed. Interesting company you work with.I imagine they keep you busy with the truck on field repair work . www.deme.be
I bet that they have already ran out of room for more stuff or I mean important tools too.
here are a couple of my truck almost done
Yep, I still like that truck.
i am new here. i just like looking at your guys pics. i picked this one up a few months ago its a 1990 super duty diesel it came with a miller welder and speedair compressor. it needs alittle tlc but everything works.
Welcome aboard socal418 and good luck fixing up your truck I like yor lube oil system
Here's mine. Peterbilt 2007 340 is the top one Miller Airpak 8,000lbs Liftmoore crane, second one is a Peterbilt 2007 335 Miller Big 40, 8,000lbs Liftmoore
welcome. nice trucks, what part of texas are you in?
You have awesome trucks, I like them.. I wish I drive them once. Thanks for sharing the photos of your trucks.
straight up interstate 35 rite on the red river aka Gainesville
Thanks
your truck is very sharp can I get more info on the crane set up.I am in the process of building a complete road service truck.email me at [email protected]
Here's my truck.
Sharp
Nice truck bigshow. Is that for your toys or work rig?
Thanks, a bit of both.
Here is the beginning of my next service truck. 1987 KW T-600 with 287,000 original miles on it. 3406B Cat with RTO146- 13 trans and air ride suspension. It didn't look so great when I bought it but a little paint ect. goes a long way. I'm going to put a van body on the back, I started out years ago with a Ford F350 and a van body and always liked the way it was set up.
I looked through a few pics and found one of my current truck. 1988 Ford L8000 with a 7.8 liter Ford motor, it's got close to 500,000 miles on it and it's getting a little tired. New it was 210 HP with a 6 speed transmission, now with the mileage on it the hills seem a little bit steeper. But it has been a very reliable truck.
new service truck this is the service truck that i just got. 09 f350 v10 91000 miles xlt
Such a shame that the 6.4 is such a pile of crap that you have to get a gas rig to have a somewhat reliable truck.
Lol the 6.4 was only in a couple year model trucks. The new 6.7 that has been out for years kicks butt. Love em.
I'm looking forward to this build. Please keep us updated with pictures along the way.
Are you building the body yourself or having someone build it? UOTE=excavator;488893]Here is the beginning of my next service truck. 1987 KW T-600 with 287,000 original miles on it. 3406B Cat with RTO146- 13 trans and air ride suspension. It didn't look so great when I bought it but a little paint ect. goes a long way. I'm going to put a van body on the back, I started out years ago with a Ford F350 and a van body and always liked the way it was set up. View attachment 117646 [/QUOTE]
My truck ( named Frances after the storm that paid for her ) is a work in progress. I keep wearing it out and fixing it up. Next on my list is new paint and re do the bed.
I got my inspiration for a medium-duty service truck from this thread. It's a continuing work in progress, but I'm running and using it now. Here's the build thread on WeldingWeb: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?359231-T-Bone-s-New-Truck-Thread And the most recent picture I've taken. Since then I've added a job box onto the roof of the front driver's side boxes and hydraulic strut door openers to the 2 front box doors on the driver's side.
i love this trucks
Here's a beauty I saw at the auto show. It's a JOMAC service truck .
^I think it would blind you on a sunny day, although you could fry eggs on it
it will tarnish/get dull in no time... wont have to worry bout that blinding light for long!!!
Like FServ said Get the polish and buffer out but sure looks good when its done
Although I can understand the use of lightweight metals to keep overall weight down, in our industry "lightweight" and "durability" are usually uneasy bedfellows ........... personally I can't see that body lasting 5 minutes on a job site.
Nige are you thinking along the lines of major repairs in a feather factory
It's shiny, I'll give it that ............ Cynical, moi...?
Now THIS is a Service Truck ..........our new one just getting shipped out of the manufacturer's works this afternoon, built on a brand-new Cat 740B chassis.
Nice truck Nige How much fuel does it hold?
5,000 gallons plus about 1500 gallons of various lubricants/coolant plus 2 x 1,000 pound grease tanks.
I am not trying to compete, but here is my new Lube Truck. AutoCar/Volvo with a series 60 detroit and an automatic Allison. She needs a bunch of work, but it fits my style. Regards, CD
Who made the lube body CD..?
CD, I think you found yourself a good looking truck. Will it mostly stay on one site at a time or will you have a driver with hazmat endorsement and mobilize fuel/lube daily/as needed? I love the look of those older Autocar's. Were you in the market for a fuel truck that was an automatic or was that just what the truck you found had? Do you have any closer pictures?
I have a few days off so I will get some better fotos. The truck will mostly stay on one site. I was not in the market but no one was very interested in it at the auction so I got involved and ended up with it, along with some other knick knacks.
not another auction project I've got a few of those projects (?,???)It's amazing how many ideas and uses that we can come up with a an auction :idea:idea just go home and tell the wife it was on sale thats what they tell us right
yes that is a service truck there!!! congrats on it... what are you using now? is this a upgrade?
Definitely an upgrade. Right now we have a 5-year-old Mack with a service body on it similar to the one posted by Colorado Digger on the previous page, other than ours is not enclosed - not required in this climate.
Here are a few more fotos of the Autocar. Regards, CD
Here are a few more, Happy 4th everyone! Regards, CD
CD Looks like you got a good service truck for your little fleet.
Drooool
Update from page 18
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/... Service Truck Build/IMG_1562_zpsc0e6b1bb.jpg http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/... Service Truck Build/IMG_1663_zps3b5d1e45.jpg http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/... Service Truck Build/IMG_1661_zps9fa8bc6a.jpg My apologies for the lighting in the shop, flouresent and metal halide seem to hate the camera Here is a few more. I need some lessons on editing photos here, though I could re-order them after posting but have not figured that one out. There are several more in the photo bucket album. I'm looking for ways to brace up under the rear work bench and support my hitch. Without layering steel flat on flat, as things tend to rust badly up here. Also I have a Eaton PV12 piston pump that ran the bucket, its 12 gpm at 1500 rpm and flow controlled, (with options to pressure control available) but the Altec supplied valves for the winch and outriggers are all open center power beyond type. My crane is open center 6gpm max and not p b. Just wondering if should be ok to plumb it in after my outriggers. (my last power beyond in series as the truck is plumbed now. Also have a adjustable flow devider valve to reduce the gpm to 6. But since I can't get the pto ratio running the pump, I'm going to have put the devider in and up the adjust as needed. I was going to put that in upsteam of the outrigger valves, (after the winch). Muncie says my pto ratios are likely .96% or maybe 125% engine rpm. I'm hoping at have enough flow on the other side of the devider to run a hyd compressor, Or I can increase flow with a pto ratio change as I can run the pump up to 3000 rpm and 24 gpm. Anyone think I should configure this differently? Why?
I never get tired of looking at service trucks,thought I'd share mine.
Welcome! Nice setup you have there. Fixed the pic for you.
Thank you,and thanks for the fix! It may be an older truck but it's been good to me,and I really like the way it's set up.
nice truck put up a couple more pics
My 97 2500, I have 70 gallon fuel tank box combo, Air compressor and a Montezuma tool box.
it's always good to have a backup plan
Nice setup Mobiltech. I really like that set up, I'd like to have a 1 ton set up like that. The arctic crane would be handier than a shirt pocket on the job site not only for equip. repair but also lifting storm sewer lids, buckets, attachments, etc when you don't have a machine around.
Thanks. So far I love the new dodge. The aisin 6 speed feels like a standard trans and the 6.7 cummins is quiet and pulls like a tractor. Im looking forward to getting it broke in and chipping it for a little more fun. The crane has wireless remote control which makes it great for engine and component R&I. The ford 6.4 lost one cylinder so it doesn't work so good for pulling a trailer anymore
time for a cummins conversion then!!
Put the new crane and wireless remote to good use today. 330C excavator pump drive coupling failed while it was on a berm with no access other than from the ditch side.
Wow. How long is the reach on that crane?
Wow that has a massive reach. What's the specs on that crane?
It has a 29 ft reach now but I have a 6 ft manual extension ordered for it. It's a 7.5 ton / meter crane which works out to about 16,500 lbs at 3 ft from centre. By the time you get out to 29 ft it's down to 1400 lbs according to the lift chart.
Mobiltech, gotta hand it to ya, there just ain't know way in Hell I could stand to work in those conditions. I'm just a spoiled southerner, that cold/frozen stuff just ain't for me. Having a long reach crane is really handy. I have a Maintainer 14000 on my truck, reach is around 24 feet and will still get up about 1700 lbs with it flat out fully extended. It's nice to be able to remove all of the cylinders on a 400 class excavator from one spot and not have to break down the rig and move it to make all of the lifts. :drinkup
It wasn't to bad there yesterday at just above 0F. Today I am working outside at -13 F trying to get an old 980C to fire up. It was supposed to be plugged in but there are 2 ends to every cord and you need to use both!!! I have my heated shop on wheels to retreat to and warm up and I run a heated Milwaukee jacket under my covies,I keep the trailer at 60F inside with a diesel espbar heater. Life is good when you have the right tools oh yeah and the fact that I'm off to maui for 2 weeks on Monday helps too
Do you ever find a place where the lack of a hoist on the crane leaves you wishing you had one? Always wondered about the artic boom vs conventional truck mounted crane
mobiltech when you are in maui have a "lava flow" for me I need to go back just to have a few of those!! lol the sun was nice also
Love the truck mobiltech! My uncle lives in hawaii and it is a truley beautiful place!
Yes I do have a hoist or winch that I will be mounting on this crane. Sometimes you can't lift the boom due to head room . I just got this truck and haven't had time to finish setting it up. The articulating crane works best for cab removal and reaching over things.
I sure will. I love going back to Hawaii . The temps are perfect for me. I don't like anything over about 85f.
Thanks. I'm really likin it too. I like stepping on a plane here at -30 and getting off there at 80. It will be the first time I don't need my long johns in 4 months .It is very beautiful.
Hey Mobiltech have you noticed any advantages with the knuckle boom crane working in low over head clearance areas like I a shop with low ceilings ?
The knuckle boom does give you a better angle for high lifting in a low building. It really helps when you're reaching into the middle of the machine.
the knuckle boom is also VERY helpful in removing/installing the boom/bucket pins on the big stuff almost cheating!!
my new truck
Looks good. Did you make the pure boxes or did the body company make them.
the draws and boxes were all built by the body company. i will be making trays like these for the power tool.
I see the snapon dealer likes to stop by your place
The trays look great, what are they made of and how did you make them?
1/2 poly welded together. I am going to use angle iron to make slot for the tray to slide into. i was also going to cut foam to add into the tray to stop the tools from rolling around
What size tyres are you running on the truck Cargs?
Reminds me of the Dakar rally trucks. Pretty cool
Hi matt
Fast cap.com is where we get out Kazan foam for the tool box drawers. It's layered and works well.
It's a Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
New Build - 2015 F-550, Kelderman Air ride, B&G body, etc
New Build - 2015 F-550, Kelderman Air ride, B&G body, etc
Center Console looks awesome. Props for the creative license plate cover.
You beer me to it 1ton. Just like a airplane console with the removable pannels.
Here's my little service truck, it's my first one. Well first body second truck. I had a lady pull out in front of me and t boned her totaling my front end. The body was fine so I remounted it on a new cab and chassis. This is the companies first service truck as well so I have had to equip it from scratch. We don't do big repairs in the field so it is the perfect size for me So far. You guys make me envoys of the equipment you have on board. Hey a man can dream.
hated to lose it, but love its replacement.
Correct. Before I put tools in it I installed the microwave above the locker and a 12v cooler behind the passenger seat.
not as big as some of your rigs but these get the job done the red one was my first
This is my baby truck for the summer! I'm completing a summer internship with a medium size dirt company for school. I'm 22 now and it's about time I get out of shops and into the field. It currently has about half of my toolbox in it, a welder will come, it has an air compressor with a 20gal tank and 100gal of auxiliary fuel. Real excited for it! Start on Monday.
Welcome to the Forums AJL!:drinkup What kind of truck is that and what do you have on it? New Zealand is on my bucket list to visit, been wanting to go for a while.
thanks CM1995 The south island of New Zealands best. My current work truck is a 2007 Ford Ranger not sure what it would compare to in the U.S its a 3 litre diesel 4wd its got plenty of go it in basic set up really ive got a small petrol honda powered compressor and reel not sure how big the compressor is its old and a bit past it anyway then the two tool cabinets either side and service oils on the back. Its a cab plus so plenty of room for wet weather gear and paperwork in the cab um no idea how to rotate pictures
Nice! The diesel Ranger is not available here in the US..
How do you like the 6.2? Have you towed anything with it?
Nice pics and ideas guys, starting to build my 4th truck this week, going with a ram 3500 DRW. I mostly work on commercial fishing boats so I can't build a Pete 379 the wharfs and piers I drive onto are pretty scary!
Welcome to the Forums Deere Marine!:drinkup We'd like to see some pics of the build and finished truck.
Hey Cm, didn't I see somewhere that you had a service truck to go along with your other Ford or am I just imagining things?
Dirt123 where did you get that center console? I run two radios and a bunch of lights also
Here's mine. Nothing fancy but I'm not complaining. 06 sterling with a Mercedes diesel. summit body 10k crane etc
Truck getting dropped off at body dealer, decided to go with a knapheide body (Reading dealer would not warranty my last body with a rust through problem)with no crane. We have a 15ton crane truck already. Been trying to decide who's drawer system I'm going with, any thoughts?
Sounds like you have rusting problems if so maintainer has drawer packages that are all aluminum. I don't think anyone else makes them out of aluminum? I have two if these packages now for over a year and showing no sagging, cracking or other problems! I am not a proponent of aluminum unless you have to have it for corrosion reasons....TIO
Ctech aluminum drawer units. They are about 250 lbs between the two of them. Saved 200lbs or so over steel. Cost about $3000 for both. They are well finished.
Mike thanks, those look nice I'm going to look them up online.
Absolutely. I would say they aren't as nice as the Maintainer units but if you keep your 1" drive socket set out of them I don't see any problems LOL
so where are you going to put the 1 1/2'' drive sockets??
These are nice. http://www.brutusbodies.com/okanagan-truck-bodies-drawer-systems/brutus-drawer-packs.php
How often do you use those? Do you have an impact that size or hytorc unit? Also, what sizes do you have up to 4.5"?
most every week I use them. yes I have the hytorc unit, it has paid for itself several times over!! I have up to a 5'' socket for it & a few custom made for the odd ball stuff..
Man this thread is going strong....since 2008!!!!
Here is a couple of my old rig she may be an antique but she gets the job done. Keep up all the pics of the service trucks I've always like seeing how other people Have theirs riged out.
Nice clean looking rig
Thanks you don't see many older trucks like this running around
Thanks :drinkup I don't see many older trucks like this running around
Good lookin trucks captain. Is that 550 a 6.7 truck?
Of course! About 1200mi on it too!
Watch out for a turbo failure at the first 30k the company I work for has one and it seems like they have to have a new turbo every 30 thousand mi
It's actually common on the pickup models to fail at 100k mi. Those damn ceramic ball bearings, great for high performance stuff, not so much longevity though.
I hope they got the transfer case problems fixed in those truck!!! I saw 2 while they were longevity testing cut the case in 2 after bearing failure!!
Here is my new service truck
Nice truck but with that colour, do people pull over when you are going down the road?
Looks like SocalHDR & I have new toys. My new 2007 F-750 Service Truck with a CAT C7 7.2L 151400 miles on her. It took me a week to find the right one, show the boss, purchase it, stickers, register, and pack my tools in her but she's ready to go. One Happy Grease Monkey right here.
Like
Only a week. I have been working on mine for 2 years,still building boxes and adding tools.
heres my new ride 1997 pete brand new Feterl body love the service body the guys out there at teamco do nice work
Nice Pete! Greyson
thanks she was about 6 months in the making but couldnt be happier with the outcome
Drooling
Nice Pete
My new truck. 4700 Western Star
Very nice. Don't see many western star service trucks.
that's a sweet western star!!! I like a service truck that's NOT white Is that bed made by Brutus truck bodies?
I second that "not white" TIO
Thanks! Yes box is made by Brutus in Penticton BC.
I would of liked to of had the box painted the same color as the truck but Brutus likes to paint match and that would of added another 2 weeks or more to the build time. I had to be back at work so that was a no go.
drifter how do you like the bed so far? iv looked at their web page, their products look top shelf... I think they will build my next body/bed prolly in 2 years hopefully if this 1 will make it that long
I really like the box. They do really nice work all hand built. The wiring is really nice and tiddy. All the corners and welds are smooth. What ever you can dream up they can do. I wish they would update there website all the trucks on there are like 8 years old. I would not hesitate to get another one built. You should consider getting one sooner as our dollar is way down in comparison to the U.S. dollar. My last box was a summit and the brutus is way nicer.
This is the way I want to go. I'm looking at mid 90's T800's w/N14. Was it worth it to go new over finding a used box?
One my students are working on. We have been building one a year. They build them I run it over the summer and sell it around August. The enclosed body I sold in September. The 550 we are working on now. Yes that is a JOBOX mounted on the side. Got it cheap on craigslist but kinda of liking it.
I do mainly welding repair work and have been slowly working my way up in the service truck world. I started out with my welder and gear piled in the back of my jeep, when I needed more room for tools and parts I would just hook my little camp trailer to the back. That setup got me by for a year and a half! Then I finally bought a real service truck, I got myself a Dodge 2500 4x4 I ran that truck for awhile, and it worked out pretty well for me, but I had some ideas on setting up a welding truck a bit different than most. So when someone offered to buy the Dodge from me, I figured it was a good chance to try my idea. But unfortunately, I would be without a truck until I found the right one. So I spent a real busy weekend buildings a welding trailer to go behind my jeep I ended up using that setup for the summer and was actually pretty happy with it. I was able to do everything I could with the dodge, the only drawback was that I went up the hills a little slower. After quite a bit of searching, I finally found the right truck. I ended up buying a Ford F450 with a utility bed and a 34' manlift that is also rated for crane work with an 800 pound capacity at full reach. It's not 4wd, and the interior isn't nearly as nice as the Lariat package Dodge that I had, but at the price, I sure can't complain! I've finally got this truck setup mostly how I want it, and so far I'm really happy with the setup and am glad I didn't go with a conventional crane.
Not mine, but took the picture in March 2008 in north-central BC, Canada. Had been used in Bosnia and the owner showed us some bullet holes!
Not seen a unimog for a while... Nice change!
This is my brand new F-550 we bought this year. Little on the light side but overall a great truck so far.
Another one, also not mine (I don't have one, I drive a Subaru ). Taken at a logging show between Revelstoke and Golden BC: Very heavy duty due to vandalism
I'm the editor of a new trade publication called Service Truck Magazine. This thread certainly caught my attention. We have a regular feature in the magazine called Spec My Truck. I think your truck would make an excellent candidate for that feature. If this interests you, please send an email to [email protected] . Feel free also to check out the website www.servicetruckmagazine.com .
Mr Editor, as well as as featuring the big rigs, which are awesome, maybe show smaller units and how people utilize small space and weight limitations. Everyone's truck would be different in set up and there is probably some very clever ways of doing things which could be shared throughout the industry. As inspiring as some of the larger units are, they are way out of reach of some of us, yet some ideas can be carried over. I for one admire all of the vehicles and work shown by members of the forum but some are so out of reach! I can appreciate and maybe adopt some of the ideas shared, but seeing the smaller trucks and how people operate to their fullest would also be nice.
i read your on line magazine you had tom v truck you should get ahold of hatch on here he has a good set up there are a lot of good truck on here
This beauty is up for sale! About 5hrs north of me. Hmmm.... http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks...ck/1131746809?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Here's another couple of mine in action
my last F550, SD monroe 'glass body & autocrane my new '15 chevy 3500 HD with a KUV body. for us, the KUV body is much better, we carry a LOT of parts, and at least the KUV body doesnt leak all the time. :drinkup
Nice rigs. My first post, have been loving this forum, this thread especially. You guys have really nice rigs. I'm in the middle of setting up my first service truck for my side business. It's a 2000 F450. I've got a ways to go but you guys are lighting a fire. Thanks. Keep the pics coming.
2006 c5500 with an Accurate Truck Bodies deck. It's a stepping stone the the ultimate truck...
G'day everyone this is my ute, reading this thread has given me a lot of ideas, i want to build a truck next year. My ute has enough to get me by with a petrol air compressor in the middle of my boxes, its all on a frame i just unbolt 2 3/8 bolts and put the legs in and lift off when i don't need the boxes on.
My Christmas present. 2011 F550 PM6 Knuckle boom General Aluminum Body Soon to have 302 trailblazer added from old unit.
What's the load chart like on the PM6? Looks like a slick rig. :thumbsup:thumbsup
Thanks ! 6280 @ 6feet 530 @ 40feet
Not too shabby. I've been quietly searching for another truck. Quietly so the mrs doesn't catch wind! I seem to attract a lot of the big iron so I'm seriously considering a boom truck as the start and add boxes etc to it. Not too many guys around here that can or want to tackle the D11's and mass excavators. Cat field supervisor told me to get into boring as well. We shall see! Getting a little taste of your weather down here, single digits this weekend they say. Not as cold but still cold! Junkyard
Yeah, I was looking for something a little larger but cost restraints put the brakes on that one. I've gone from my older 550 with no crane to this one so am excited to get it working. I hear you with the cold: Last two weeks have been around the 25celcius below through the day, colder at night...
My new build I think I will post my new build on this site. Advice and ideas will be welcome. This is what I had And this is the replacement.
My new build And this is my progress
I figured you was going to leave it tandem!!!! LOL Looks like a good start on a great build!!! you should have great weather for the build unlike me here in Indiana where it has rained for the last week everyday & looks like rain all this week again!!!
I hate sandblasting.adding more frame then prime and paint
Nice work Mark. I know just enough about steel and fabrication to get myself into trouble. Why did you go with a welded and bolted splice instead of a fishplate weld on the frame? Just curious about the differences.
There are a few theory's. mine is any weld on a frame is a wound to the strength. So weld the two sections together with all the right techniques and add a section of frame with bolts to build on the weakness of the welded frame. All in all it should be stronger then new. But not really.
simonsrplant what c/a is the truck and how much room to mount the crane
A long day of wire wheel and primer.
The cab to center of rear axel is 136". There will be 96" behind that.i would like a small crane but it is a luxury on this truck. The reason I decided to build my own was I was unable to find a used truck to meet my needs. This truck is not a service truck. We work on radio towers and require a lot of hardware and many miles between jobs with the ability to fix anything.
Nice! Who makes the boxes, and can you post a pic from the rear?
This is the Business end of my truck. We work on raido towers and ropes, capstan,cooler,vice and stuff all happen right here. After I got it sandblasted I could see how bad many of my welds were when I first built it. So I rewelded most of it and modified the attachment points for better peace of mind. Every thing gets a coat of industrial apoxy primer then scorpion truck bed liner on appropriate parts. I thought this project would move a lot faster. If I could only stop working so I could get some work done.
This is how it looked on the old truck.
looks good... its all bout what you need for your specific jobsite, its been said "its not what you buy but what you build that matters" & you are doing a great job!!
Can I get some input please? 1. Iam conserned about the twist in the frame when I put my suspension together. It seems like the torque rod is causing The frame to twist.Will this come out when I put the bed on. 2. What are your opinions on mounting the bed to the frame . Should it have room to flex or be mounted solid. I do not want to mount it in a way that would bust up my new utility bed .
It appears to be a single frame the full length, is that so? How many crossmembers are there along the length. I would cosinder an inner liner all the way or at least through the suspension area. What sort of subframe do you have in mind for your body? Might be able to build it stout enough to help. Also, was everything dead level and straight when you stretched it? Did it twist after you hung the rear bumper on it? If it's too late to slide a liner in it one thing we used to do on gin trucks was a fish plate on the outside. It was in addition to the double frame but those trucks got hammered all the time. I think with a little planning when you start your body you may be able to incorporate sufficient structure to cure this. Junkyard
This truck was a oil field winch truck with inverted kingpin and no gin poles. I figured if it can take that type of work a Utilitiy bed would be like a retirement. Yes it is a single frame with 7 cross members in 20' from the cab. I was very careful to make sure the whole truck was level and straight pulse I never separated the rear axel from the truck. I did remove the front drive axel. It is to late to do anything with the frame and it only twisted when I put the new shocks, air bags and torque rod on. I think it is the resistance of the torque rod bushings. But this brings me to another question. Do I mount the bed (that I will build from scratch) solid to the frame or allow it to have some movement to it. I need 4" from frame to floor of bed. Maybe some 2x4 steel tubeing as a sub frame?
I would mount it solid, tabs off the bed/subframe down to the truck frame with 5/8" bolts. Everything is going to flex and give in it's own way so I wouldn't make it any easier for things to move around. If you do the doors etc may close great one time and not the next. I wouldn't think the torque rod would cause the frame to twist like that. I've seen some beds with a thin piece of wood between truck frame and the bed or whatever is installed. A think piece of conveyor belt or something between the two might not hurt. If you pull the torque rod back out will it straighten up? If that's all it takes to twist it that kind of bugs me a bit. What did you have in mind for the way you're building the bed? Junkyard
Did the parts guy happen to give you the wrong torque rod?
No , I replaced the parts with oem Mack parts and it is aligned perfect. On a side note I did fix some brake problems I didn't know I had by using Mack oem parts.
That's a fine looking rig Brodiesil, I see its heavily customized.
Hey, it's paid for and makes as much money as a new one.
What brand or make drawer units do you fellows use? I would like to get a four or five drawer unit to fit in one of my side boxes. The opening is 28" W x 34" T x 19" D Some drawers would sure organize some of my tools and misc. so maybe I could even find them. Thanks for any help!
American Eagle through Cherokee truck equipment in Tennessee ... shipped to local terminal Custom 32"x21"x44"(from what I remember) Took me a couple days of sitting down and laying out my tools to figure out what height and how many drawers. Works almost perfect
the company i work for doesnt provide any tool storage solutions or drawer units in any of our trucks. ive been using a late 90's CM top box since '04 when i went into my 1st service truck. it's heavily overloaded, ad has literally shaken itself apart. couple years ago i cut out the lower drawer completely, and wleded up a new lower frame out of some scrap square tubing. it's bolted to an old lyon 3 drawer mid box, secured to the floor and back wall of the body. i keep my air tools in an old MAC side cab ive had for many years....
After a few month of being to busy to work on my truck I am back at it and stoked to have scored a small crane for it today. Worked on drive shafts, u-joints, Carrier bearings, air lines, electric lines, fuel tanks, alum. Wheels, seats, new flooring and the frame twist went away when I turned the truck around.
Here's my dream service truck as i'm just starting out in the repair world 16' Pete 348 4x4
Thought that truck looked familiar. Didn't know you were on here. How's the new truck working out so far?
So far so good. Been a good truck. Who's this?
The guy building the old blue W900. I won't post my name because I like to keep my identity anonymous while on the internet.
Hey I'm new on here. Been looking at the 4700's but as a 4x4. Hows the truck working for you? did you go with an ISL9 or the DD13?
Truck works good. 9L cummins with 370Hp 1250ft-lbs Eaton fuller 8LL trans
There's my old truck, 2006 m2 with a imt dom2 with a 10k crane.
That is my new ride, a 2014 Pete 337 with an auto crane body, 10k crane.
I stopped by a local scale shop to pickup some portable truck scales and saw something cool. So I hope these guys don't mind me posting a pic of their rig, but thought you guys might like to see this. Super clean 359 or 379 Pete (you guys might know just looking at it) with a crane body on it. I was drooling when I saw it... crappy angled pictures sorry
Fellow running that 46 wouldn't be an older gentleman I might know who 14 15 years ago took his 46 swimming getting gravel out of a pit would it.
I drew this pen and ink for R Zucker. 1964 L cab B 75 Mack, this truck does not exist just something I dreamed up and put his name on for him. Truck Shop
This will be my new setup in a few weeks. Just need to get the welder mounted up, oil recovery and a few little odds and ends, then it'll go for a full wrap and I can move in! And a pic of the old rig that I'm currently working out of.
That new rig looks sweet. Kind of a different configuration of the service body layout. What are you going to use the space between the crane tower and forward driverside compartments?
It's a service deck or "mech" deck sometimes they call them, maybe it's more common up here. The space between usually houses reels, fire extinguisher etc. The back deck portion is nice for loading up pails, drums, large components etc. The rest of the body is all enclosed, welder will be mounted on top of curb side cabinets. The back deck also doubles as a big ass work bench, the sides all drop down for straight access loading, working etc.
Yea I like that. Post some pictures of the curb side!
All the pics of my new truck are just the generic ones off the dealer's website. My truck is pretty much identical, except my d-side #1 and #2 cabinets both have drawer units and the doors open away from each other for easier tool box access. Also got bolt bins drawers on the p-side #3 cabinet.
Got my new Miller Air Pak mounted up today, had to spend some time dicking around with the oxy/ace cabinet top vent cause the welder interfered with it otherwise. Need to mount and plumb the air tank in, build an oil recovery system and get a full wrap on the truck.
Lots of awesome and unique trucks in this thread! I especially like the self built rigs and the repurposed chassis. One thing that I've read here a few times and makes me feel better is "no rig is ever finished." That applies to both of mine big time haha My two 4x4 cornbinders: White 1999 4800 was a low mileage bucket truck I converted in 10 days. Its not fancy but it works very well. Its been all over western and northern Canada. 84" CA, DT466e, 6 spd eaton, Fabco 4x4, 6206 Cobra crane, 60cfm autocrane screw, previously had lincoln commander 500 welder, now ranger 250, modified reading utility body. Black 2007 7500 is my custom built dream truck. Was a low mileage schlumberger oil patch cement mixer, I shortened wheelbase, refurbished, painted, new wide base tires and wheels, 92" CA, HT570 engine, 10 spd eaton, Meritor 4x4, 12000 cobra crane, 60cfm VMAC hyd drive screw, Lincoln Commander 500 welder, waste oil, tons of draws, lights, cabinet heat, slide out burn table, cylinder tear down pockets, body custom built to my specs by Fabcan Metalworks in Prince George, BC. Works very well, would build again lol.
im usually not a binder kind of guy BUT Dmec that 07 is a very good looking truck, do you have another pic of the lid/cover on the bed & how it raises up? iv been thinking about a cover for my new build coming up next year. this snow we have been having this year has had me giving it a lot of thought too
Thanks, I guess I dont really have better pics of the cargo area. The doghouse over the cargo area is built out of aluminum, its bolted and sealed to the top of the cabinets, the opening lid is on gas struts, but flips open completely if you remove the struts to allow loading. I wanted a sliding roof to facilitate loading things with the crane, but haven't missed it. With the 500 amp welder and a waste oil tank and a hydraulic tank, theres only a 13" wide area the whole way to the cab to load cargo haha. One thing that I might have done differently is the 4 stainless panels that slide in to form a barrier. They offer the most versatility but half doors and a tailgate would let me into the cargo area faster. I didnt do full barn doors because anything in the open deck area would have stopped them from opening, even snow or ice in the winter would be a pain. The white truck has an open cargo area and it turns into a gross mess in the winter.
What kind of service body is that? I like the large deck space for cargo.
It's a Work Truck West service deck. Brutus and Accurate Truck Body also make their own versions as well. Some guys like the full length cabinets for space. I like the deck, good for large/awkward components, doubles as a nice work bench. I've been working out of a slightly smaller service deck with a worse cabinet layout and smaller enclosed space and haven't been hurting for space yet. Mind you I've only been in the field full time for a year, been in the trade for about 3.5 years, 5 years in aviation prior to this. Dmec you got a real nice setup! How long have you been independent? That was always my goal one day, I like seeing the independent guys' setups too and seeing what experienced mechanics prefer especially up here. Seems most the guys down south of the border run open top bodies.
I just bought the same Miller Air Pak too. Got delivered late Friday. Excited to get it out of the box and put to work. Let us know how yours is working
Thanks! I've been full time independent for 4 years now, Wajax equipment, other gigs, and part time independent before that. I was on the fence about deleting that corner cabinet, but my boxes are 74" tall, I'm not hurting for room at all, and the open deck is so handy. I have a buddy with an Int'l 7300/IMT dominator that have added a covered aluminum doghouse, under $4000 at Fabcan PG, the place that did my whole body.
mine has become a gross slick mess, as i get older i don't bounce as well as i used to.. iv been looking at all my options on a bed cover or dog house or full canopy on this new bed
My new ride that I’ve been working on getting rigged out the last couple months
Holy! that's pretty, do you sleep with it.
That is beautiful. Any color but white is a huge plus in my book. If I ever get another one it will probably be all black or some sort of dark gray. Nice truck....TIO
Haha thanks. Pretty sure my wife is wondering the same thing with all the time I’ve spent on it. Trying to decide what crimping machine to go with for hyd hose if anyone has any suggestions. Leaning towards the Parker karrykrimp 2so far. Here’s a couple more pics I have
Nice ride @Diggingdirt .... i think i got drool on my phone screen....
I would Very nice unit
Everything is so clean! When do you start working with it?
Nice rig diggindirt. I am really liking the wide tool cabinet behind the drivers door. Really nice how there's 2 banks of drawers with the shelf on top. I looked up STI crane bodies after seeing yours, nice stuff. How come you had to get new tools with the truck? Just showing off?
We are a smaller company, this truck was an addition to the fleet not a replacement so that’s why all the tools are new. I use the truck a lot doing pipeline maintenance jobs(changing valves, actuators, pumps, etc.) and sometimes on our job sites for tools, supplies, welding, not just mechanics
Cool, it's good to be versitile... nice addition
Not that I'm aware of. I took this picture right before a dismantling company came in and took it apart to haul it to somewhere in Pennsylvania.
It is not an ultimate service truck but it will work for us.
Looks like mine. Sure makes my day easier compared to my last one ton truck.
I bet! We have an 01 F350 service truck currently & are always overloaded.
03 f550 service/lube truck. Get the job done. Will be up for replacement next year with a new one. Bad thing is the company is going with v10 engines. But hell im not buying the fuel.
I don't know if I would cuss the V10's. A friend works for the local transit company and says the V10's in their E450 busses go 425K miles unless a freak grenade happens. When the 6.0 diesels first came out, that was the end of them buying diesels.
Not really cussing them on a reliability issue it’s more of a power issue. I am right at 19k now and my 6.0 pulls it perfectly fine. The other mechanic I work with has the v10 and is about 3k less then me and that thing is a turd. We have had good luck with the 6.7 ps once you put an aftermarket egr cooler on them. I wish they would use these instead.
I've scaled back and have dismantled but I got a lot done with it
Top this! https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/d/dodge-cmu-5-m37-maintenance/6662255561.html
Not the ultimate service truck, but my last truck back in the day. Made a good money with that ol'e Girl. Tom
That's a nice set up handy size and not terribly expensive to set up and maintainers are like the best hands down
What do you guys think about this... Late 90s International Paystar 6x6 I’m considering this as a platform for my next rig. Ten foot body, small bed, and a good size knuckle on the back end. I’ve been mostly in a mining environment with my 550 but it simply won’t last forever. This could be a project till my trusty 550 retires? I’d like to know what the guys who run big trucks think?
I had a late 80's Paystar 6x6 with a 10 ton RO crane, Even after rebuilding the front axle completely the thing absolutely sucked to drive on the road. More like herding it. If you don't have to do a lot of miles on the road, it might be doable. Also the transfer case was a hot runner at highway speeds, if you can find locking hubs for the front axle it may be different.
You either wont get stuck or you will get stuck so bad you will need a dozer to get out I like the idea I think that your working with it will probably last you a long time and it will require work to overload it unlike a 550 but it could be to big maybe not for a mine but other places yea
Good to know... had to laugh at your herding comment!!
I have wanted to go with a 6x6 for a long time. The only problem I have had is they are all geared at 55-60 MPH. Keep thinking I’m going to find one and put a sleeper on it and build what I want.
Yeah we played with caster shims and it still was a wander monster. The big super singles may have been an issue, I probably should have tried some 11R-22.5's just to see if that helped.
Here’s a truck that I put together. I had a couple wrecked trucks that I bought at a good deal. So decided to build this one. It features a 5005 auto crane, 700L used oil, 3 fresh 50G product tanks, grease pump on reels. Air pack welder, drawer packs and lots of storage.
A few more pics.
DefenderHD I like that truck! That would be a nice fit in my small operation.
Thanks. It is a very versatile truck. Makes a great fit in the fleet.
I am in the middle of refurbishing my Peterbilt in the other thread. Another big under taking.
It’s off to paint after two years of working and waiting. IMG_3303.MOV.mov
Sweet truck! But the crane is backwards!! Did you mount it that way for a reason? And where are the outriggers? Not trying to be a dick, but I can't see it being that useful for bigger lifts out the side like that, let alone with no outriggers. I always back my truck up for big lifts, use all the forward weight of the truck as counterweight and outriggers to support side to side.
Not the nicest I ever worked out of but it’s the nicest I’ve owned!
You guys down in the states have such clean vehicles... We throw so much **** on he roads through winter they fall to pieces.
Makes me feel really mistreated in as much as we Long Ago worked out of 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups with road chests. I would have given a nut for one of these back then.
They put the same garbage all over our roads here in Maine. That was the biggest reason I flew to southern Virginia to buy this one. The frame and chassis on this 2006 truck look better than some 2015 trucks from around here.
My new build truck is a mix and match... Just bought an 07 Freightliner with STI body and tiger crane coming from Minnesota. Will be picking it up in the coming month. I need to shorten the body by one cabinet then will be mounting it on my 01 extended cab 4x4 cab and chassis. Hoping to have it on the grade by winter. Pics and build to follow. Once done my trusty F550 will be looking for another home.
So here is what I have... Finally got the truck imported and bedded to me. In short plan words, I plan to pull the body and remove welding deck and front cabinet (which is an add on) from the 07 M2 Then tidy it up and mount it on the FL80 4x4 cab and chassis. Progress and pics to follow.
Interesting build simons. What are the specs on the FL 80? I'm happy I live down south - no road salt. I have an '01 F250 7.3 that I bought new and the frame still looks like it did when it was new. We might get an inch or so of snow a year which is great as we just take a snow day and enjoy adult beverages. No need to spend millions on equipment - just take the day off, it'll be melted tomorrow.
That's a loooong truck. Looks overweight just sitting there empty. Cool rig, space will definitely not be a problem
First day of summer yesterday... 12-18 inches of snow at the mines I work at!!! The FL80 has 16k front, 23k rear. Full time 4wd with lockable transfer case. Currently 3126 cat with 9speed transmission. The higher stance of the frame and running gear gives close to unbeatable clearance. Gearing is low (100km h at 2500rpm) not building a highway princess. Once I've finished the body will be a standard 14ft unit so won't be near to as long as the M2. The 50 inch cabinets will work nicely for the frame height as 60inch would be too tall to be useable.
At least spread out will ride better.
space is always a problem!!! wouldn't matter if I had a 53 foot semi trailer
Guys I need some ideas. I currently have a f450 with a Venturo crane body. I have my welder on the back driver corner and the leads wound up in the cabinet under the crane rest with my torch bottles. I’m buying a f750 with a dominaiator 2 body. They have the leads wrappeded up around the bottles on the outside. The kicker is they have put a nice tool box with locking drawers where the torch bottles normally go. I already have a plan for the bottles but not the leads. I like them in a cabinet away from the sun and theives. I could you a few Ideas if possible.
Picture paints a thousand words my friend
This is the rig I’m buying this weekend. Pics were from the wi yet mud
This is the set up now. In the pic with the motor you can see the leads and tanks
I think you're going to be sorely disappointed. I believe you've got more cubic inches in your current rig. I went from a 550 w/ 14 ft bed to a 750 w/ 14ft bed. I swear, I lost space. How about bulkhead fittings through your RF cabinet so you can have your hoses in the cabinet. Then you'd only have 3 or 4 feet exposed with the tanks. Perhaps, the same for your welding leads. Get a pair of insulated pass through lugs. That'll protect your leads or just put the twist lugs (tweco) on your binding posts. Then you can wrap em up and stow them after each job.
What about moving the welder to the drivers side rear then the cables etc can live in that cabinet? Congrats on the new unit.
That is the plan so I can drop the crane height. I just hate to take up one of the only open storage box’s but it looks like I’m running out of options
That’s a lot of weight on the ditch side. I’d move the welder to the left rear and possibly move that toolbox somewhere else so you can have your torch box back. I’m running a similar setup and it’s filling up fast.
I’ve consider pulling the tool box out and putting it in the f450 if it will fit. Really getting tired of drawers flying out at me when I open the doors lol. I really wanted to put a lead well somewhere with a expanded metal bottom for the dirt to fall through when they are pulled the mud. I’ve got some good ideas from my pipeliner buddy’s but we have two different style beds
If you're really ambitious you could stretch the wheelbase and put a deck behind the cab for the welder and bottles Be pretty slick but a fair chunk of work
Haha. This is true and not a bad idea. It I’ve gotten a little to busy for that
Here's some encouragement... You'd get a bunch more space, better weight distribution, better ride. And you could set it up in your spare time while running your trusty F450... Spare time...
Very true. I’m like a kid with a new toy. I’ve worked my butt off to be able to but this truck and can’t wait to get in it. I’m starting on the changes this weekend
Little progress today. Cut off and removed the welding deck and cabinet addition. Looking a little more normal now.
That's a big accomplishment in itself.
Does need neatening up and finishing but that's later. Priorities are getting the unit put together and mechanically functional.
A little late on the picture and will post more. Moved the welder to the left rear corner and gave up that box for my welding leads and rods.
Just went back and read my post. Looks like I got a little finger happy and didn’t proof read. Haha
IMT dominator, right? Those are well built. I especially like the boom mounted winch. Eliminates the winch load when stowing.
Yes. I am very happy with it. My 450 has a venturo body on it, I can tell the imt bed and crane are built with more thought and care.
Haven't been active on the forum in quite awhile and just trying to get back into it. Figured I'd throw out a few pics of my truck. 08 F450 stretched to accommodate Maintainer bed. Just shy of 300,000 on it now.
How has the engine been on the 08? We had one from similar year and couldn't get rid of that albatross fast enough. Engine was a disaster in every way.
It's great but it's also modified. Lol. The 6.4 is a fantastic engine, unfortunately the emissions system is the engine killer. I overhauled mine at 195,000 but it's still on factory turbos, fuel system, block, crank, and rods.
We lost turbos as well as everything else. Don't remember any more. It never even made it out of warranty.
Two neighbors had 6.4s, ended up going same way, BACK to dealer in trade out while running good, one had three FULL engines under warranty in less than 30,000mi. where Dealer performed the services from new. The other had the typical turbo/emissions crap failures.
The more and more I see emission problems I'd almost consider going with a gasser myself. Gas has been cheaper than diesel here and the local dealers always seem to have service trucks lined up to get in the door. If I needed the truck for income, I'd want something that won't break the bank sitting in the shop.
That seemed to be the wisdom around here too, lots of fleets went to gas engines for a while but I am starting to notice a lot more Powerstrokes in the newer trucks again. I wonder if they figure the bugs are finally worked out? Somehow the bean counters have to know what costs more or less, that is, if they are counting the beans correctly. That being said, as a small independent I would still say gas engine. Even if they have the diesels 95% figured out, if you get the odd 5% lemon still, it still bankrupts you and that is not such a risk with a gas engine.
As for a Service truck I still prefer Class 6 & 7 equipment as a stronger choice, may not have 4wd but in most instances have better ground clearance and tow eyes so can be dragged in/out by heavier machines if need be. Last Service wagon I worked out of was a Int'l S Series with a Mechanical DT466 5&2 in it, Utility Service body massive compressor and 6K Truck Crane electro hydraulic boom. The previous was a K3500SRW GMC Gas with a four speed, always stuck always overloaded(likely why stuck) no room for much of anything and had to use a generator driven electric impact for tire swaps or for wrestling stubborn fasteners and NO boom.
When I was at the mine, their field trucks were ford 550s with V10s. 4WD . Front axles were always clapped out. Constantly rebuilding steering hubs and linkage. They could climb grade pretty good though. That was an all surface pit, that'd never fly in Underground.
Emissions systems are like any other kind of fresh technology, it's going to suck for awhile in the real world no matter how many tests are done in a lab. The newer trucks are doing much better in my opinion. Plus, after the 6.4 debacle with IH, Ford started building their own engines in house. I plan on running this one until 400k or slightly more if I can. I dread the day I go back to a class 6 or 7 truck but with as much mining equipment as I work on, it's probably only a matter of time.
2017 f750 with a palfinger bodym ford 6.7. Been a pretty good truck so far, only 35k miles on it. If it was up to me, Id want a day cab and a longer body, but oh well. Our company runs miller enpac's mainly so we dont idle the trucks all day (and clog up the dpf system). The the crane and outrigger functions run off the enpac, no pto on the transmission. Thats probably the biggest difference from my old service truck. Before this I had a '13 f750 with a cummins 6.7, great truck but at 80k it was at the dealer regularly with dpf related issues. Company kept throwing money at it, but the issues were never completely gone. I could only imagine the headache if I was the owner.
Haven’t been on here in a while figured I’d post a pic. 2012 337 with 275k on the clock
Great lookin truck Tekemp
I am trying to figure where he gets time to clean it up that Purdie, or if he has a crew set aside just to wash and wax it!! My own truck for service calls never looked that good even as first got them!
lol I try to give her a bath once a week, wax once in the fall and once in the spring, boss covers my time for it.
D the problem is we just couldn't ever get that wax on wax off scenario down pat
Made a few changes since I bought it
All the current service machines really make my old 1974 F350 SW FWD back in the day look SO Lame!! We used what we had or could find mostly in used machines, my own being a retired Utility service truck when I had bought it at a Auction Service. Ran it for close to five years limping along like a three legged dog but served me well, kid that bought it from me repowered, rebuilt trans and both diffs, added leaves in rear springs and a better boom/hoist than the home made I had found to install on it. Ended up it was scrapped another four years along as the old frame gave up, RIP in 1990. Nowadays all are class six or bigger with a great many class 8 chassis, would have given a nut back in the day to have had a Class 8 chassis service truck.
Mbar I had a sister truck to yours before my kenworth. Solid truck. Reliable, parts were reasonable, awesome turning radius. I’d definitely own another one. What year? 5.9 Cummins?
Been up close to Junkyards company truck, you guys really make me feel awkward as to what I used so long ago!!
2007. And it has the cat c7. It dropped a valve a year after I bought it. Pulled the motor out. Rebuilt with marine cam and c9 injectors and a flash file. Runs very strong. It’s Been a good truck. Just bought a 2008 international with a Adkins body and stellar crane to start building up
First photo is the last dealer truck I had, 2020 Peterbilt 337 with Allison auto and PX9, 14’ knapheide with a stellar 12630. Second is my personal service truck, 2007 Kenworth T300, ISC 8.3 Cummins and 10 speed. 13’ IMT bed and 6025 IMT crane.
Hey now! I’m liking that kenworth
Mike L, should have seen it when I brought it home. Flew from Indiana to south Florida to get it thinking I was getting a Florida truck, ended up with a rusted out southwestern Ohio truck. Not to mention it went through 12 gallons of oil in 1200 miles due to 3 cylinders having broken rings. Made me sick, after an engine overhaul and a lot of rust repair/paint job, I ended up with a pretty nice looking truck.
Haha! I flew from maine to Virginia and bought my kenworth thinking I had a southern truck. Made it to Harrisburg Pennsylvania when the transmission exploded. Sat at a freightliner stealership for 3 weeks fighting with them when I hired a trucker buddy to haul it home for me. Got it home and found out it came from the local Deere dealer 30 miles away. Got mine repaired, cleaned up and I’ve been pretty happy with it. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one with a horror story.
Seems as if we have a similar story to tell. At least I’m in good company.
The devil you know vs the devil you don't.
Similar indeed. I worked for a Volvo dealer and had a 2018 peterbilt with a maintainer body. You’re not married to a redhead are you?
Nope, I’m afraid that’s where we differ.
Couldn’t bare the thought of building another truck so I gave ours a facelift.
Man, that rascal is looooong. But really sharp.
Thanks. It came with the crossover box and a roll off bin. I toyed with the idea shortening it but the extra space is always welcome. One tank has fuel and the other side is hydraulic oil. Our work is almost always on the side of the road so the length isn’t really a hindrance. Rides smoother as well.
That a palfinger knuckle boom mid-chassis?
I find interesting that some of you guys are able to get a service truck from a cat dealer. Our cat dealer has the truck crushed, with the bed,crane ,and welder still on it. They don't want any of there competition getting it. Once when I was working there they were throwing out all service manuals and switching to a digital version. They hired a security guard to watch the dumpster until the shredding company got there.
Our local cat dealer sells them when they’re done with them. I couldn’t imagine crushing one just so some independent guy didn’t take .01 percent of the work
It's an asset with resale value. As a shareholder, I'd be pi$$ed, if they willingly destroyed cash value assets
This thread needs revived. It’s great seeing everyone’s rigs. Here’s mine on the job, obviously on a Monday morning after a fresh Sunday afternoon wash.
Love that pic on the compressor housing. Sweet
I get a lot of compliments on that decal, tells me a lot of people at least still like the idea of patriotism.
I’ll add to the thread
So I take it Texas agrees with you Mike L!!!
The second pic was last mud season in maine. I did 5 cat skidder axles for 1 customer in less than a month. Texas is agreeing with me though!
I’ve worked out of a lot of different service bodies over the years. I really liked the IMTS,but I will say Maintainer is growing on me.
I miss mine, that's for sure.
I’ve had 3 maintainers and 2 IMT in my career. I thought I was die hard maintainer but the IMT’s have been tough and the support is exceptional. My crane controller died under warranty. They helped me diagnose it and then they overnighted me a new one on my word that I would overnight the old one back.
I’ve had 3 stellar and 3 IMT and hands down I chose IMT. I can’t speak for the brand new IMT but the older ones like my Dominator 2 with a 6025 crane are definitely tough. My CAS3560 compressor has been good too, keeps up with an inch gun pretty well. I worked with another independent guy that had a palfinger and the boom and body were nice, compressor wasn’t worth having. Be nice to hear from others that have palfinger to see what their opinions are.
Damn you all have had nice stuff!! My first last and Only Service truck was a Reading, built back in the day!!! Had that ton truck close to fifteen years and bought four years used, two engines three clutches, misc brake malfunctions and Gawd only knows how many tires.
I guess my very first service truck would have been an ‘89 D350 dodge with no service body, just a flatbed with a road box strapped to the side. Had a 4 speed manual and a 360 gasser in it, crank windows, no AC and a bench seat. Worked at a JD ag dealer and worked on quite a few combines in the field out of that unit. I guess those were simpler times but I sure do appreciate my kenworth now.
My old F350 SRW was a Ex Union Electric Line service truck, winch on nose 460 4v, 4spd 4x4. As yours NO AC, crank windows, NO conventional radio, rode terrible even loaded, 8-9mpg on a good day. Reading body helped but NOT much, had a 12v motor driven Generator/inverter for 120vac, when it worked, ran that with a 1/2" electric impact until got a compressor, 2cyl/2st 8hp briggs power on a 20gal tank, would ALMOST keep up with a 3/4 drive, 1" gave it fits. Did have a REALLY Nice well battered brush guard up front!!
This was my dads old truck. 5500 GMC with a 4-53 Detroit. Talk about gutless wonder, throttle pinned everywhere you went. I remember riding with him as a kid couldn’t have a conversation just sit in that thing for hours and listen to it scream, but it put food on the table. He was in tall cotton when he put the Auto Crane on it.
Very cool! What year was the truck? I dig seeing the early service trucks.
It was a 1966.Then he pulled the bed off and put a Ford under it.
Here's mine, before and after body paint.
Reassembled, over schedule and over budget But worth every cent
I do not believe any were ever within a budget!!! Just a means to a end and expense acceptable.
here is a picture of my ratty truck after it slid into a ditch I knew it was to slick but went anyways. $200.00 for wrecker to pull me out contracter would not lift me out with his excavator. Needless to say he paid the tow weither he knew it or not
At Brooks truck show both working rigs- the one with no Plate has a total refit to tier 4.
Sexy
Always liked looks of Needle Nose Petes
I'd be terrified to take those to the places I go.
Me too. Especially the one with stacks for days. I work in Chicagoland. I'd never make it under the first viaduct.
Something of a positive of 10’ clearance, did a little shining on it today. Will not be able to drive it for two weeks.
2 of our trucks, '19 or '20 F750, my smaller '21 F600 4x4 both with Knapheid KVT bodies, wireless remote stellar cranes, miller welders.
Here its all lease roads and farmer's fields.
Guy runs a road service and I think his shop has 16' doors, stacks always look tall on a early low cab Pete.
My 1994 fh100 canter truck 700000km on it and linebore trailer 2007 fuso ferrari crane Been watching this page for 12 years now i can contrbuute
Looks like a good setup!
Now for a retro look--a old lineman Dodge------Mike L needs this with crane added for his next service truck. RARE. *
Looks to have Fire Service roots
It looks that way but it was a lineman service rig.
Man that would be cool
did I hear my name? That thing is cool!
Just to keep this thread on track. I really like this truck. By far the nicest I’ve owned.
Man I know a guy that's got one just like that......
Probably a solid dude who likes working on logging equipment!
You know, he's alright!
nothing is on track.
Track on a truck???
Thread on track.
Speaking or being off-track, my service truck has wings. Ol’e N754KP. She was a helluva bird.
Until this eventful day at JNU.
Juneau & Sitka were sketchy airports For sure. I've heard that they redid both of them though and made them a lot more forgiving
Snafu. Situation normal. All ****** up.
an A model and a snap on truck-
Snap On truck...............mobile bank that takes your money.
Nothing like rubbing their noses in it.
I’ve got a theory that they pump special air inside those trucks that makes you want to spend money. Besides, it’s a better investment than strippers.
I don't even go on the trucks unless there's something I know I need - and that's a rarity.
A side note , the company I work for recently added several 2024 IHC MV607 chassis with autocrane bodies. Nearly all have had serious electrical problems. Mine needed a sub harness upon delivery. Another needed a trans controller and harness, we just had another go down and at this point, they don't have a clue. We do know, something is smokin fuses. A couple weeks ago on the body side, the crane boom came out of its rest and swung out on its own in traffic. Mfr claims it can't happen, physically impossible, yet it did. If I was an owner operator, any one of these would have cost a fortune in downtime. Just letting folks know what we're dealing with to hopefully avoid these pitfalls.
It's the new tool smell!
That’s pretty discouraging. I’ve never had an IHC or an auto crane.
Never had significant problems with STI or IMT. Ford was always a good chassis till you couldn't get a Cummins anymore. But, I'm not in charge of purchasing. Probably the cheapest of the cheap.
Well that A model Snap On------The newer KW cab plus power was removed--The A model cab set in place after a Big Cam I 350 and Eaton was installed. The whole thing is old technology.
And it'll keep running with that power train combo.
Don’t know anything about the sti. Always had IMT and maintainer. My first truck on my own was an 06 f750 with a 24 valve Cummins and an IMT 11’ body. Super solid truck. Huge fan of the IMT bodies. Well built with phenomenal support.
I’m 100% ok with that setup.
Same...almost. mine was an F650 with juice brakes the same engine but a Spicer 6+1.
I had juice brakes and a spicer 7. Spring ride. bounced my head off the headliner too many times
Me too. More than once the roof planted me right back into the seat.
But that thing could do a u-turn on a two lane road.
I loved the C5500 I used to run. I wouldn't buy one though, they required a lot of maintenance.
Weren't you sitting on the floor in those? Cat powered?
Dirtymax/Allison. They had a flat floor and an air seat that was marginally better than a solid mounted seat. The exhaust brake was pretty decent, none of the F-550's I was in had that. They rode around on the axle stops all the time. Chewed through u-joints and axle seals though. Even with the tilt hood the engine access was terrible.
I was thinking of the body more like a Kodiak or top kick. The f550 I had was always bottomed out too.
Turned sharper than a shortbed regular cab pickup
Shop Truck and Service Truck - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist 1975 Mack Service Truck & Shop Truck, Has a Waste Oil Recovery System, Miller Bobcat 250 EFI Welder/Generator, Oxygen/Acetylene Torches, Hose Press & Fittings, Hydraulic Run Air Compressor,... eastoregon.craigslist.org
A Tank but a NICE Tank Could have really used that 40 years ago.
Just finished swapping my bed over from my international chassis. 2016 T370
Annual December reviving of this thread. Made an update on the T300 that I’ve been happy with, switched to 315/80 22.5 steer tires. Handles off road soft spots a lot better and doesn’t push the #2s out on a construction entrance near as bad as 11Rs did. Took a good majority of the body roll out on highway curves as well. Brought the front end up about an inch. 442k miles and still rolling daily.
Looking good!
It’s been awhile since I purchased any 315/80 22.5 steers. I’m not sure what the current market is. There was a period where they were unobtainable and I was getting very creative trying to keep trucks on the road. Even with national accounts.
Easy to buy, just expensive like everything else now.
Ah yes, all is growing in expense. Just played that game on Wife's exploder, $297 A Tire for a pair. 20” buggers.
Would NOT want to be buying tires currently for Big Blue, pricing went nuts.
Speaking of silly items, direct from J.C. Whitney, really turn on the ladies with these. *
In CO, AK WY, MT, UT or Canuckistan in Spots can see these as a option, for general wear and tear and function, nobody else really needs these. Can remember seeing old Half Tracks across WY and CO back in the 80s on the old Ranches.
Even though they could------------no one needs these, fad garbage, look at me.
The local electrical cooperative has a pickup with mattracks for power line service and I think the gas utility does, as well. I hear it’s less expensive than trying to keep a 30 year old Bombardier running.
25K plus with allot of pro's & con's.
Utility I Worked for had Rubber tracks for tandem Digger Derricks. I installed those many times.
Mattracks are legal on highways in many states, especially in winter 5 . However, the ability to travel at high speeds depends on the laws and regulations governing highway use in your area 1 . Mattracks provide massive traction but are not designed for high-speed driving 3 .
I couldn't, in good conscience, take that anywhere near a jobsite.
*
You or me either
It's for sale, and it's just another old truck.
Two more.
All cool looking, just not something I would have bought to go swing wrenches from, or drag grease oil and mud into.
Just old trucks same as new trucks, new trucks become old trucks with use. What happened is old designs were kept around for years unlike car models, and the designs kept were antique looking, odd thing about it people want the antique look but with all the modern amenities, all the while for themselves it's a mission to stay & look younger.