Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Level Best Grader Box-What Size?

Bliz ยท 2015-12-15 07:05

I am considering a Level Best laser controlled grader box for my Cat 289D and am having a hard time deciding between the 7.0' box or the 8.0' box. The cost is not an issue and typically I would just buy the 8' box but I am wondering is there any reason I would want a 7' vs. the 8'? I sure would appreciate any input from guys that have used them. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1PDG X2015-12-17 09:45

    I don't own a Level Best Box, but have used them in the past. I do have a Power Box Rake PR190 for my 289 though, and my opinion is, wider is better unless you have clearance issues in your type of work. If you use an 84" box, any steering will put your tracks (84" wide) on ungraded material, which complicates your finish grade. The wider box will give you some tracking path ahead of your tracks for turning - and you will be turning while using it. The only issue I've really had with the wider rake is that it is wider than the trailer, so it needs to be loaded from the side, and not coupled to the machine.

  2. #2Bliz2015-12-17 21:20

    PDG X, Thanks for the input. Makes sense what you are saying. Kinda like having too narrow a snow plow on a pickup and trying to plow around a corner.