Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leveling and Pushing Dirt Using Bucket Side Swing

Allan M ยท 2022-05-18 19:21

I've been clearing land and digging a road on a steep hillside. To make sure my downhill track is on virgin soil I've had to dig about 6 feet down on the uphill side as I notch a road below a ridge line. Doing so I create a lot of loose material. While using my 2 foot bucket I find that after scooping and dumping a large percentage of the uphill material to the downhill side I still have a lot of dirt to move. I've been using bucket side swing to push the dirt to the downhill side. I've been told by the manufacturer's rep not to use bucket side swing for moving material: "It puts extra wear on bushings, bearings, joints, etc... and that the excavator isn't designed for much side swing pressure." That said, I'm just moving loose dirt. Any thoughts? Does this practice cause excessive wear on my boom, arm, bucket, joints, etc...? Thanks for the input. Allan

Replies6
  1. #1skyking12022-05-18 20:13

    Yes it does. Sometimes it is necessary or expedient, but in this case I would learn a pattern that moved the dirt with less sweeping.

  2. #2KSSS2022-05-18 23:11

    One thing that can help is slowly easing the bucket into the material as you move it sideways. Getting in a hurry and slamming the bucket, moving it sideways into the material will jack things up.

  3. #3skyking12022-05-18 23:17

    another thing to consider is, how tough is your digging? If it is pretty easy going, you might benefit from a larger bucket. That way you can get a bigger wad up off the ground and swing it over proper, and make some faster forward progress without sweeping.

  4. #4Allan M2022-05-18 23:21

    I do have a 3' bucket but don't really use it because I'm going through a lot of brush and some 18" to 2' oaks--which have a tap root (so I've got to dig these out). But, maybe I'll give that a try too. I get your point and KSSS's point too. Thx.

  5. #5Acoals2022-05-20 20:35

    I am not a fan of side swinging at all. The nature of a swing drive is not really suited to heavy loading, and the lateral shock loads on the boom and stick aren't doing anything any favors either. Guys try to grade like that all the time, usually because they can't hold grade any other way ....

  6. #6skyking12022-05-20 21:41

    I'll swing as I draw to me, that is not the same as a straight side scrape. Maybe the OP can employ some of that.