Is it possible to use a lever chain hoist 'inverted'? For example: if I wanted to rig and lift say a welder off the floor with a shop gantry, then back the truck under the load to put it into the truck ..... can the lever chain hoist be placed adjacent to the welder's lifting lug with the end of the chain up on the gantry's beam, and will it then "climb up the chain" without fouling? Chain Fall with the big loop of chain - typically say Not (unless it is a trick one with the chain ring housing able to float around and even then, the out moving load chain may bunch up). Cable come-a-long - yes. But whaddabout a standard Lever Style Chain Hoist? All the times using one of these dont recall this method and have not one handy to try out.
I would think that keeping the chain in a line and straight to use it upside down would be a pain in the ass.
I've used mine that way before. Raising something is no problem. The tight line aligns itself. The loose side is the problem when lowering. The links have to line up right when entering the device which usually mean you have to feed it into the lift. No you don't have a hand to steady the load with.
Agree with John. Raising is not the problem, it's keeping the unloaded end of the chain aligned correctly with the hoist when lowering so that the chain doesn't jam. Probably a 2-man job if I'm honest.
We use them in every position pretty much daily Like said you kinda have to watch the loose end up and down it becomes second nature and thy move pretty slow anyways so not to hard to keep track of it If one had a gantry setup a chain fall type would be much preferred
I'm sure I've used the chain loop style of hoist horizontally, and probably a little under horizontal, and it doesn't work bad, same issue with the loose end, only worse because you have the loose end of the pull loop even when pulling in/"raising". It doesn't take much to string the chain over something that will keep it out of the way but still feed. If you need to use either a lever or chain loop this way, stretch the hoist out to the length you want while it's hanging, then pull it tight and hook with the chain you're using on either end. Don't try to loosen or tighten to fit the ends with no load.
Much obliged and have ordered a Jet 1/4T 10' chain fr Northern ... thanks for the suggestions and tips.
You could hook a rope to the dead end with a weight throw it up over the crane to pull on the chain.
Put the item to use all day yesterday; pleased to report it worked very well 'inverted', no hassles with the off hauled chain. Thanks for the assistance. Item is going to be quite handy.
I have that exact one it’s the handiest damn thing I own and much better than the Harbor Freight unit. not a ton of pulling power but so small and handy for fitting in tight places. Last thing I used it for was pulling cab mount pins, it got into a very tight area.
I have one of those as well. It's probably my favorite tool in the arsenal. I use it for breaker bar, lifting drive shafts in place, assisting with moving heavy loads under a machine (like a Dropbox for articulated trucks). And my favorite use. Is when you have that hydraulic hose that you can get a wrench on. But you can't get enough leverage because of all the other junk in the way. I just set the wrench and hook into the box end and wah lah. You don't have to remove a ton of crap just to get the one hose you need off.
Watch it, mine snapped the main hook without warning and not pulling full pull either.
I had one fail not to long ago. The chain slipped and the load dropped 8-10 inches and then the brake kicked in. But not before the transmission hit a hydraulic pump I had dangling by the suction line. Thus dropping it to the floor along with 50 gallons of hydraulic oil. The transmission survived and so did the pump. Just a bruised ego and a lesson on how easy it is to overload them. It took 5 hours to clean up that mess. Then the scary part of lowering the transmission back down to use a bigger come along. I was in the limits of the chain hoist, but by a few pounds.