Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lever Control Boots

Dman4100 ยท 2011-12-28 18:57

Hi, This is a great forum and I am pleased to be doing my first post here. I recently purchased a 1988 JD 310C 4X4 with 3975 hours on the clock. This is my first backhoe and I will be using it to dig stumps and do other projects on my property. This machine has a full cab with heater which is nice up here in Maine. I purchased new boots for the levers that control the backhoe. Does anyone have suggestions for removing the lever knobs without marring them so I can slide the new boots on? I have tried using a strap wrench used for oil filterd but it will not grip the knob.

Replies5
  1. #1waterman282011-12-29 11:49

    Put a hose clamp on the knob and tighten it down, use a pair of channel locks on the hose clamp to prevent damage. No guarantees, advice is free and you get what you pay for :beatsme Scott

  2. #2Dman41002011-12-29 16:05

    Scott, I followed your advice with the hose clamp and it worked great. I did end up using a pipe wrench as the knobs were really on there. No damage and the new boots are on. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question

  3. #3Deon2011-12-29 19:47

    That is good to know. I would have been afraid to break the plastic hand piece.

  4. #4waterman282012-01-05 11:31

    Glad to hear you had success, have fun with your new backhoe.

  5. #5Dman41002012-01-05 13:54

    When spring arrives I am looking forward to giving the machine a workout in the meantime I am working on odds and ends mostly cosmetic. Thank goodness nothing major wrong mechanically. Thanks again