Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lgp Excavator

Eddiebackblade · 2009-01-02 16:47

Has anyone any experience of running excavators in LGP configuration. I believe Hitachi used to make a EX120 Landy or something with uprated motors and wide pads, but I can't find any info. I am led to believe that a Volvo make an Ec140blm with 20 tonne motors and chains that are ideal to convert but very rare. Ideally I would like something around 15/17 tonne with 4ft/1200mm pads and have in my own mind a cat 315CL widened to fit the pads. Can anyone confirm if these run actual 320 travel motors? I know a company that does the frame mods to allow wider pad fitting for forestry use, and they have advised me of some quite alarming figures for the final drive faliure of different makes especially in the 13 tonne class. Hence the search for something running oversize undercarriage. Anyone out there know of a machine with uprated motors or particularily good undercarriage? Also the option to quickly swap back to standard pads would be useful, my thoughts were of Dozer Alligator links on the chains but any quick track swap tips would be useful.

Replies107
  1. #1cps2009-01-02 18:24

    Hi there Eddie When i worked for the volvo dealer over i came across a few EC140blcm's and they do have a larger undercarriage than standard. Not very much wider, a slight longer but a good deal higher! to the best of my knowledge they do have larger motor/final drives but i cant say for sure if they're from a 20 tonner! I also seen one or two with 4' pads never had much dealings with them but never heard any thing bad about them! think they might have been widened also! Another company around here use alot of lpg's with 4' pads (and wider) for peat extraction work mainly hitachi 120s and some old hymacs. I do know they go through chains at a very high rate, but i guess that can be expected cps

  2. #2Dirtman20072009-01-02 19:30

    I found it cheaper just to use wooden mats If I need to go in areas that wet. I've seen a komatsu PC 210 with 48" tracks, wow did they look big!

  3. #3John H2009-01-02 19:41

    Anyone have a picture of one.

  4. #4Eddiebackblade2009-01-03 03:49

    As you say CPS there seem to be a few Volvo 140BLM around in Ireland. I contacted the Volvo dealer in Dublin who had one advertised on Mascus. The thing was a 'Monster' with lenghtened and widened frames and 1400mm pads! (I think thats 4ft 8"). The transport width was just too much. Apparently they are from a batch purchased for a large job by a main contractor and the conversions were done in Sweden, but I'm not certain. They look the part with nice rounded edge pads on, but apparently they have suffered a little where the frames have been extended. I hear you too Chris on just using the Mats, but this is something a little different. I've done some homework and you will really struggle to find an lgp excavator anwhere outside Scotland. As CPS says plenty in Ireland on the 'Peat' but none for hire in the UK. Really just looking at a 'niche' where nothing else will do, or for difficult access jobs that sometimes use miles of temporary roadway at extortionate cost. A Cat 315 cut and widened with 4ft pads will come in with a reasonable transport width and be big enough to get something done when you get there. I think a Komatsu pc160lc runs 210 undercarriage but I'm not certain and can't seem to find much info on the Volvo 160. I'm a fan of the Volvo, well built piped for everything standard and good on fuel but hate all those switches in the cab. Another thought is the Hitachi zx135u that can be fitted with a blade, someone told me the drives are uprated on these. Just diggin around for any info as machines are seriously cheap at the moment, and the quotes for chains and pads have fallen dramatically.

  5. #5Squizzy246B2009-01-03 07:12

    I know the BladeRunners have bigger drive motors: http://www.kobelcoamerica.com/produ...&RL=ENNA&NavID=000004724403&line=000004792103

  6. #6cps2009-01-03 17:15

    Volvo EC140blcm Hi john H Heres a very pics of a standard EC140Blcm

  7. #7stock2009-01-03 17:19

    like this

  8. #8John H2009-01-03 21:14

    Thank you:thumbsup

  9. #9Eddiebackblade2009-01-04 07:02

    Gotto admit CPS that Volvo 140blm looks perfect for a conversion and an Engcon fitted as well! I've seen pics of a standard one coverted to 4ft pads and it loses somthing over those pics you show of a standard one. They show clearly the extra metal and clearance built into the 'm'. Is that one for sale as it appears in a Dealers yard? I doubt it would be coming over the water with the Euro/Pound rate as it is at the moment though!:

  10. #10cps2009-01-04 14:54

    I found this one mascus for sale i think its in finland! I also found one pics of the converted ones you talked about but this computer wont let be post them:bash! I know what you mean about the pound/euro thing it hits us here in N.Ireland to since were still sterling too! You may find a good LGP around here!

  11. #11swampdog2009-01-04 15:55

    A four foot wide track likely would put a lot more stress on the undercarriage parts. My only experience with a very wide track is on a small dozer with swamp pads. Even though the undercarriage seemed in good shape, it loved to throw tracks. It seems that the wide track subjected a lot more pressure against the moving parts of the undercarriage. Other posters recommended using a beefier drive motor/planetaries to compensate for the wider track. I'm wondering how weak the drive motors are on most excavators. After all, their main function is not pushing, like in a dozer or track excavator. My Hitachi EX270LC turns a lot easier if I take some weight off one end of the track with a little down pressure on the bucket. It has triple grousers with aggressive staggered grouser extensions welded on; they get a good grip into the ground. Does taking weight off the track while turning lengthen the life of the drive motors and related parts? Are they that weak that this is a concern? I guess that this question would be relevant for both regular and LGP excavators.

  12. #12biggixxerjim2009-01-04 16:07

    i would say so. ANything to ease the stress put on any parts of your machine will have a positive effect on the life of the unit. This becomes more important the wider the tracks get as well as how bogged down the actual track itself is before trying to turn.

  13. #13Johnny English2009-01-04 17:28

    Hi Eddie, I don't know if you've read decembers earthmovers mag but there is an article on a firm capping some mine tail lagoons in Irelend with some Komatsu machines, 150 and 160's with 210 motors on them, they have a fleet of them, and the pads etc already fitted. Might be worth a look at Komatsu, or the article.

  14. #14Johnny English2009-01-04 17:33

    Priority construction in Ireland is the name of the company running the fleet of komatsu LGP machines.

  15. #15stock2009-01-04 17:49

    The Hyundai I posted is/was on the road job close to the tailings ponds job outside Nenagh there is also a hitachi on a bogger set up on that road job.Roadbridge have a fleet of boggers from volvo ,a lot of them are used on the gas line job in Mayo.When I was on the M8 road job only one of RB boggers gave track box trouble, as a result of a damaged seal resulting in oil loss and the usual saddness that follows.No fault of the drivers as the ground was back filled black bog that wouldnt let you walk on it. Stock Yipeee just made 200 posts

  16. #16Eddiebackblade2009-01-05 15:31

    I would dearly love to order the Real Deal 'Parts Bin' special direct from a manufacturer, but the cost would be way out of my league! The Komatsu pc 160's running a 240 class undercarriage and 1400mm pads looked fantastic. If Stock can manage to find a picture of a converted Volvo they are equally impressive. Back to my search, the guy who converts the machines advises around only5000hrs for a 13 tonner Final Drive after conversion. Thats a pretty hefty bill when they let go! He also advised me that two converted Volvo 140blm as pictured previously, have gone over 12000hrs no problems on 4ft pads. My thoughts remain around the CAT 315CL, as this is only the same width as a 312 and will remain within a reasonable transport width after conversion but provide a bit more capacity. The only problem is they just aren't dropping in value as much as other machines, and for an owner operator they can use a bit too much fuel. The Volvo 160 seems to lose most value initially and is well specced, but I'm not certain if it uses 210 motors and chains? I'm certain the 180 runs them though. I think it's a foregone conclusion on the additional stresses front all round, everything is going to pay for dragging them big pads about but hopefully the slightly specialised work will command a higher rate. Nobody has picked up on how to swap tracks back to standard quickest. I'd got a mad idea of using Dozer Alligator links and splitting a track, then connecting together both tracks and simply winding one on and one off. Hope you get that!:beatsme Maybe something will turn up ready converted in Ireland, I'm certain it's slowing down for work over there also. I,ve just found the converted Volvo pics but can,t make em bigger ::Banghead Banghead:Banghead

  17. #17Reuben2009-01-05 21:24

    the blade runners have incredible power to the tracks. I have tried to stall them and you can not,they just spin.It will push much higher volumes of dirt then are Jd 550h but not near as fast as the 550. Kobelco makes the "high and wide also". http://www.kobelcoamerica.com/FILES/tbl_s22ProductText/PDFFile2498/486/235SRHW.pdf Blade runner works nice for the situations below,first pic we were making that landing wider and we just kept pushing the "bench" as we moved along. The only problem is in that situation you are forced to dig over the drive motors,which having the blade on the front you are always running into that problem. second picture the blade works great for leveling and stabalizing the machine.

  18. #18Eddiebackblade2009-01-08 16:10

    Hymac 4ft Wooden Pads! I was sent a pic from a Scottish friend who thought one of these would be the Ideal tool for me! 4ft wooden pads on a sort of face shovel Hymac, looks like it wants sinking in a bog to me!

  19. #19stock2009-01-11 08:11

    Found this http://www.kocurek.com/highreach.php

  20. #20D11RCD2009-01-17 02:14

    Here is the Hitachi Amphibious Soft Terrain Backhoe http://www.hitachi-c-m.com/global/products/attachment/others/amphibious.html

  21. #21Sparffo2009-01-17 11:10

    Here in Finland LGP excavators, dozers, loaders and tractors are really common equipment! they are used mostly in peat fields but also to drain swamps and forrest. i will try to upload some pics later! 13 tonne machines with 900-1200mm shoes are mostly used. to improve shoe durability and prevent tracks from jumping "skies" are added to the track frame. here is a floating excavator that can be used on water or really soft ground: http://www.remu.fi/index.php?lang=en&swidth=1284&wheight=621 21 tonne big float huyndai video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQQIGc7LUY :drinkup

  22. #22Sparffo2009-01-17 14:13

    Finnish LGP machines Here is some machines i found at a finnish equipment sales site, that tells alot how much LGP equipment we have around here! and those are just a few of the ones i found...

  23. #23Sparffo2009-01-17 14:18

    do you want more? Here is a few pictures also, sorry for the backhoes, but they look so wierd i had to Look closely at the UC on the bigger excavators! they have the skies i talk about! I have never heard that they use larger drives or have reliability problems because of the wider pads? just hear problems with pads breaking if used on hard ground or rocky terrain...

  24. #24cps2009-01-18 12:51

    LGP's found a few more pic's notice how the machines on the contenet have extra track guides!

  25. #25cps2009-01-18 12:56

    A few more....

  26. #26Eddiebackblade2009-01-22 17:29

    Thanks for all these fantastic pics guys, I don't know where you find them but keep them coming.:thumbsup I'm intrigued with the Ski idea along the track frame, and assume it restricts the pad deflection but must also add weight and friction if the track is pressed against it. The Case pictured on exceptionally wide pads appears to run offset pads, with the inside of the pads much narrower than the outside. I wonder if any wear issues arise from this? The hitachi is the real factory 'M' for marsh I believe and appears to be sitting on a very large undercarriage for it's size. I think a summer trip to Finland would be a good idea as it seems to be where all LGP's go to hide. I wonder if there any Ford County Tractors lurking about up there? I've bid at a Hitachi Zaxis 160lc in really fantastic condition, and am hopeful of a deal. It is physically much larger than the 130 class and sits up very high with two top rollers and excellent clearance, but is actually the same width (I must come in at 11ft 6" for ease/cost of transport). I have a good quote to cut and widen it and excellent prices for the new 4ft tracks and sprockets, so I'm hopeful of a deal but determined to buy a bargain in the current climate.

  27. #27cps2009-01-25 11:52

    Few more LGP's Hi Eddie hows the project coming along, heres a few more pics of a JCB i think in a JS160lc its in the u.k somewere! I never noticed the tracks on the case, but i guess its just a standard u/c then, something like that maybe worth looking at with the Finish style track guide as it would be easyier converted back to standard as and when needed! on that note i hear what your saying about the master link for quick swapping times! i think it would be a great idea and should work fine! Also another great link is the Cat 320c type link, im sure other Cat models have it to and i know Volvo had it on the EC210's not sure about the B's but personaly i always liked it too! You also said u/c parts have dropped in price, i hav'nt been pricing them lately but have they dropped much? from a local or national dealer?

  28. #28Eddiebackblade2009-01-26 13:01

    Hi CPS, The project is still very much on, with a real nice Hitachi 160 Zaxis still under negotiation! I could just plough in and pay full asking price, but with the cost of conversion and tracks to add I'm out for a real bargain. For instance a friend has just purchased a 4500hr CAT 312c with Miller hitch and full set of buckets for £12,000. I live very close to the JCB finance yard and their website is hardly keeping up with what is being off loaded into their yard, and they are always willing to take an offer to shift them on. So it's just wait and see:beatsme as I'm off to Canada for a couple of weeks this weekend, so I'll offer a little more just to see if it will come before I go or else he may be ready to part after a couple more weeks. I have priced Chains, Pads and sprockets from Midland Steel Traders and they are certainly a lot less than last year. I know all about that pin on 320 tracks, I drove a B with completely knackered chains on a sand quarry restoration job. Luckily we went home through Cannock past Finnings as we needed new pins every few weeks! I think the Alligator link is definately worth a look as they make fitting on a Dozer really easy. So keep them pics coming:thumbsup as they each seem to show a different take on the LGP idea.

  29. #29cps2009-01-28 14:28

    Cat 312B found this one on the net.... Its the only Cat i've seen converted

  30. #30DarrylMueller2009-01-31 13:28

    The machines with the wide bottom track guards are look like a good way to go. Real good pictures. Matts are ok if you don't have any water, once they get wet it real easy to slide off.

  31. #31possum300d2009-02-03 19:54

    My brother is looking for another 14 ton 360 at the moment and recently viewed a Daewoo 140 for sale on Skye that was running LGP tracks. Think the owner had one set that he took on and off as required. Will ask my brother for more information if you want as didn't go in to it in too much detail at the time. As mentioned above, my brother is looking for another machine and recently spent 3 days travelling about the country but is really struggling to find anything in his £15k budget despite there being a supposed surplus of equipment! You guys got any pointers or leads?!? Although looking for a Daewoo (loves the 6 cylinder motors) but he would look at others. Regards Ross

  32. #32Eddiebackblade2009-02-04 11:50

    Hi Ross, I'm not suprised to hear of such a Daewoo set up being utilised, it would be interesting how they changed the tracks and what time it took. It's something I will obviously have to tackle, and am looking at any way to make it quicker/easier. As for the machine search I always find 'Plant Trader' and 'Mascus' to be useful on the net. I am not too familiar with the Daewoo, but hear only good from other users and there's nothing finer than an understressed six potter in the back of any machine I personally think. Obviously I am unaware of Budget limitations, but if you could get into the 20-24,000 range at the moment you are really in the driving seat for a deal on 13 tonners. There are some nice CAT 312c around and I would consider these to be virtually faultless apart from being slightly thirsty. Hitachi ZX 130lcn would be a great buy especially with the Isuzu engine keeping fuel costs down and a good undercarriage with two top rollers. A Volvo 140blc is also a great machine with excellent economy and high build quality. Personally I don't like all the old fashioned switches everywhere in the cab, but if that's my only moan they must be pretty good! The Komatsu Pc 130, I don't know why but you will find these cheaper, I love komatsu kit and definately worth a look. The Case CX130 is another in this category and the economy of these is unbelievable compared to the Cat. Lastly the JCB js130 don't discount one of these, they are readily avaliable at reasonable money and have the Isuzu engine. Honestly there are no really bad machines in my opinion just bad 'back up' having a good local dealer with good parts avaliability should influence any purchase.

  33. #33possum300d2009-02-04 14:40

    First off, before I forget, thanks for the detailed reply. Just called my brother earlier to find out a little more. He thought the machine was running pads in excess of 1000mm, perhaps nearing 1200mm but was unsure as it was a few weeks ago he viewed the machine and has seen plenty other since then! The curent owner has two Daewoo's that he just swaps tracks over on as needed for use on peat. Dont think the machines had any other modifications for running this setup. My brother believes a local dealer sold this machine new complete with this track setup back in 2003. Forgot about Mascus myself but he had a good look before leaving on his viewing tour of England. Spent 3 days travelling between dealers from Norfolk, Cambridge, Midlands, Manchester etc and via Glasgow area on the way home. Deawoo is the only (I believe) manufacturer that use a 6 cylinder in machines in that weight category. He currently has one Daewoo DH130 with more than 20,000 hours on it and still runs perfect! :notworthy He's looking for something around £15k but could be tempted up to ~£20k mark for something worth it. He's been told time and time again how there is plenty of unused machines and repossessions flooding the market but is finding different! :beatsme Maybe he's not travelled far enough south yet? :Banghead Thanks for all your input, made interesting reading for a novice like me. My brothers pretty clued up and has chosen to look for a Daewoo above others. He not interested in Komatsu's at all for some reason, isn't overly keen on a JCB as has encountered build quality issues in the past but admits they are reasonably priced. Uses a Cat 312C frequently and would consider one, but only if its fitted with the Mitsubishi engine as the Perkins is under-powered and drinks twice as much in comparison! Also uses a Case alot and don't think he's even mentioned looking at them! As for the Hitachi and Volvo, dont believe he's seen many advertised. Know he had a 7 ton Volvo last year that he rated highly. Your friends recently purchased 312C sounded a bargain, make sure let me know if you hear of any others! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Regards Ross

  34. #34stock2009-02-04 14:53

    Well now that the problem is solved, here are the pictures of the lpg Volvo belonging to Roadbridge This one is on the LIMERICK tunnel job. Stock

  35. #35Johnny English2009-02-04 15:19

    Hi Ross, I use www.resaleweekly.com to search for plant and www.machinerytrader.com most dealers list on here have sourced several machines from both these sites. If your brother wants a real bargain look at euroauctions.co.uk this is a massive auction at leeds every 3 months along with other auctions in Ireland and europe.

  36. #36cps2009-02-04 16:57

    Good man stock, thats the one's we're looking to see! Seen one of those on a windfarm roadbridge were doing near Ballybofey in '04, but not sure if it was as wide!

  37. #37possum300d2009-02-04 17:13

    Believe he viewed a couple machines advertised in resale weekly on his tour. Not tried euroauctions, but quite a while until the next leeds one. Just think it quite surprising that there is a lack of machines in his price bracket considering this economic slow down has supposedly brought the construction industry to knees. :beatsme Know his finanace man said should be lots of repossessions about and I would have epected alot of fleets to be down sizing. Regards Ross

  38. #38Eddiebackblade2009-02-04 18:43

    Stock you are a genius!:notworthy That Volvo conversion looks the real Deal and would certainly take some getting stuck! It's a bit too wide for my purposes as going over 11ft 6" will require a second man in the low loader cab, (probably add £100 one way to a move) but there's no doubt the customers getting a true LGP when that rolls up! Ross, I believe there are a couple more Hewden auctions coming up and one is in Scotland, there will definately be some 312c's well specced up in them. I can only say ignore the initial asking price 'bide your time' and 'go in low', realistically bidding low at the current time with the cash in your hand will eventually produce a favourable result. Sad to say that Owner Drivers are particularily vulnerable at the moment, and an offer not insult that gets them out of that finance deal around their neck will all too often be snapped up. (Done it myself to get rid of a Mini and dumper I had) That cheap 312c was a classic example, coming from a Farmers son who just couldn't find work for it and I suppose the £12,000 just cleared it off. I have bid on a Zaxis 160lc and hope to finalise a deal when I return from my Holiday.(Don't buy anything until you return from Skiing in one piece!) However before my departure I viewed a 3000hr Zaxis 130lcn and the same company was selling JS130's and 160's at reasonable money. Whilst in their yard I passed a Vovo 140blc in the workshop and commented how tidy it was. I now see it on Mascus for £26,500 and its only got 2000hrs on the clock as well as being full spec. I know for certain they are taking sensible offers and would have had a bid at it if the guy had said it was up for grabs as 2000hrs is really just run in. Other than that it's just the usual case of asking about and letting people know you're a genuine buyer ready to close the deal and waiting to see what turns up. As we all know the day you buy is the day two more come along with half the hours and less in price! Finally what is it with them Komatsu's? they are absolutely brilliant to operate and really well made but everyone seems to overlook them in the 130 class.

  39. #39Eddiebackblade2009-02-04 20:33

    Ross, had a dig about and spotted a couple of over budget candidates. There is nice Daewoo 140lc at CPS plant sales definately worth a look and for something completely over budget but rare enough to surely warrant a lot of consideration depending on your application a Daewoo140blc. The 'b' stands for the Dozer blade it's fitted with and at 2600 hrs and full spec from a dealer Kellands at just over £27,000 would have me doing some head scratching! The blade on a 13 tonner can be of real benefit if you are the type of operator who appreciates and not abuses it. I don't know what it would add to the original purchase price but it wouldn't be cheap. Just a thought as 13 tonner hire competion can be fierce and a blade equipped machine with a tidy operator will probably always be the last one heading for the gate off a site. Both are posted on Mascus.

  40. #40possum300d2009-02-04 22:02

    Thanks for pointing out the Hewden auction, not too long until the date. Will also pass on details of the Volvo and Zaxis 130 you mentioned. Might be a bit too pricey for him but if they're taking offers you never know. Know he liked the 7 ton Volvo he had. As for the Komatsu's, I've no idea. This one looks good but he's not interested at all. :beatsme He's already seen that 140lc at CPS, one of the tidier ones he's seen along with one HERE . Not to certain if there much call for a blade, will ask. His machines never go near sites as such, only does land drainage and agricultural related work. A dealer offered him a 2006 140LC with less than 3000 hours for £19k last week and he was going to snap it up, but the dealer's purchase of the machine fell through and my brother was left high and dry! :Banghead Makes all the other ones seem expensive!

  41. #41stock2009-02-05 15:07

    Spoke to the pilot and told me he normally operates an 85 kommie dozer ,but the fitter told me that the machine had over 6500 hours with only minor repairs and none to the under carriage . Stock (taken as offered )

  42. #42possum300d2009-02-06 10:54

    He's decided that nothing but another 6 pot will do. The search for a Daewoo continues! Sure that Volvo will be a nice buy for someone.... hmmm... maybe I should consider a career change! Regards

  43. #43cps2009-02-06 13:09

    Hi there Ross, theres some real good late model machines for sell in this weeks farm trader, at very good prices! Altough most seem to be down south, Devon Somerset etc, but maybe worth a look!

  44. #44possum300d2009-02-07 08:38

    Thanks very much. Not managed to track down a copy yet. Wasn't very much in Truck & Plant Trader anyhow.... Regards

  45. #45possum300d2009-02-08 10:21

    Got myself a copy yesterday but was only the one Daewoo 140 in it..... :beatsme Wonder if you get a different version than us Scots? Maybe different regional issues? Regards

  46. #46Eddiebackblade2009-02-08 13:24

    Hi Ross, forgot to mention another site I have found useful, and appears to be on the up in terms of items listed is 'Online Truck and Plant'. Sorry I'm not up to posting a link, but usually someone on here will be kind enough. You will know when you get the correct front page as it is in a very bold orange, with a fairly simple search set up. I have been using it lately in my machine search and it definately gets new items listed regularily from UK and Ireland. I have checked and there are Daewoo listed. Personally I feel to get that 'bargain' the search needs to be widened to take in a few other makes. I have already stated there is nothing finer than a lazy six potter in a machine, but the Isuzu,Mitsubushi and Volvo powerplants are all simple proven and economic units capable of a good few hours without trouble. Another point is the spec you're buying from other makes. Most Volvo,Cats and Hitachi will come as full UK spec. (I list these 3 because I feel they are freely avaliable and will match a Daewoo easily) Others will disagree but in my mind for UK work you need a machine to be equipped with:- Quick Hitch, Hammer Lines (two way is a bonus), Vandal Guards, Mirrors all around and a full set of buckets (4ft, 2Ft and Ditching Bucket are minimum). If you don't get it all at the first bite, it is suprising how much hassle and cost it can be to bring a machine up to spec. Good luck with the search but cast the net wider! Eddie

  47. #47Dirtman20072009-02-08 14:55

    WOW! Thats pretty cool. Those things must be 48" wide

  48. #48landrvrnut222009-02-08 16:12

    While looking for some info on VA booms, I saw that the Hitachi 110 is available with pads up to 800mm. It was listed on the Hitachi UK site.

  49. #49cps2009-02-10 07:08

    Some more lgps

  50. #50cps2009-02-10 07:13

    i like the little mini digger on wide pads and a few LGP dimpers thrown in to!

  51. #51cps2009-02-10 12:45

    Ok, so there not ''dimpers'' there dumpers!!!

  52. #52Eddiebackblade2009-02-11 19:55

    CPS you should have your own LGP forum! You must be connected to a different world wide web to me as I hardly find any pic's:beatsme. Them 'dimpers' look superb, I've posted pic's of 714's I've used before and they are a really good tool even on standard floatation tyres. Do you know where the one's pictured in a row are from? The Volvo pictured with the Engcon is from Drumclog Plant, I have heard only good reports of this company and believe they operate 13 tonne Volvo's and 8 tonne New Hollands in LGP form north of the border. I had a price to hire a machine from them and they were extremely helpful and informative.

  53. #53Eddiebackblade2009-02-12 19:26

    1.9 metre Pads! Found this pic of a JCB js 220 converted to LGP, I think it's been posted before but not in close up. I had to rub my eyes a bit when they claim 1.9 metre (6ft 4") pads, but now can see how they do it. It must work for them but certainly looks strange.:beatsme

  54. #54counter2009-02-12 20:33

    short body excavator can anyone tell me why im seein large short bodied ,non counterwieghted excavaters workin side by side with conventional excavators? seems to me the little round body excavator would be at the extreme disadvantage!

  55. #55Squizzy246B2009-02-13 02:49

    Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums You are looking at Compact Radius and Zero Tail Swing excavators. While people have their opinions on this subject it is very very simple physics....levers really. The Zero Tail machine on a pound for pound basis is rarely at a significant "disadvantage". An examination of load ratings will show the zero tail is at a slight disadvantage over the side at extreme extension. However, when it comes to the feel of the machine thats different, but it is normally just a lack of experience with the ZTS machine that makes people think the machine is unstable. You will find the ZTS generally has a smaller footprint so of course its not going to feel as stable. The ZTS machine will operate in places the tail swing machine will not. You call them "non-counterweighted"...in actual fact the counterweight is designed into the house and is kept lower than in a conventional machine. The ZTS is more of a pain to service and repair because there is no space anywhere! If your out in the open go conventional....if you work alongside walls all day, get a ZTS......horses for courses

  56. #56AtlasRob2009-02-13 06:55

    Wow, looks neat but it must be a nightmare keeping your eyes peeled for obstructions like tree roots in that forest enviroment!

  57. #57counter2009-02-14 19:02

    wow nice tracks on that volvo

  58. #58counter2009-02-14 19:18

    im still trying to get a few opinions on conventional counterwieghted excavators compared to the short round housed machines

  59. #59cps2009-02-21 15:24

    Hitachi Zaxis 110M Tidy looking little machine

  60. #60cps2009-02-21 15:36

    Jcb 714 Also some more of the Jcb 714 on flotation tires, people seemed to like them, Dont know to much about them as i found them on the net!! Tidy looking machines also, and there seems to be a few of them!! l

  61. #61cps2009-02-27 04:40

    Bogmasters for sale! Hi there Eddie, there are some nice bog masters for sale in www.autotrader.ie this week. If you go to the plant section and type in bogmaster these will come up! Cat 312c on 4'7" pads 2005 4000hrs and Hitachi ex 135 2001

  62. #629420pullpan2009-02-27 15:15
  63. #639420pullpan2009-02-27 15:19
  64. #64stock2009-02-27 16:23

    excellent pics everyone keep em coming Stock

  65. #65Eddiebackblade2009-02-27 16:44

    Thanks for the tip CPS, I stumbled upon the Irish Plant Trader and have been using 'Bog Tracks' instead of 'Bogmaster' in the search with less success. They both look really tidy well sorted units and that is the first CAT 312c I have seen converted. However upon return from my hols, I have agreed a price on the Zaxis 160lc and hope to collect it sometime this week. I have a trusted friend who wants it for a local council job for around a month, so this should give time for any problems to show before it gets cut and widened for the 4ft tracks. Hope to post a few pics if all goes through ok. Must say that Pullpan has completely overshadowed us all with the greatest set of LGP pics ever:thumbsup

  66. #66cps2009-03-10 20:38

    look at these! look close at the pads, think they needed extra support!

  67. #67Eddiebackblade2009-03-15 05:08

    I didn't like to be too negative about that setup when I posted the other pic as all the 'sticking out' bits seemed to still be straight and the company have obviously spent a lot of money to get the whole machine specced up for the application. However as Rob pointed out the Forestry enviroment would require considerable care with such a fragile setup. I think that by the looks of that pic they will need the 'gas axe' shortly to sort it all out!

  68. #68cps2009-03-17 19:42

    Nice Doosan! Found it for sale on the net! not sure but i think it looks new! Looks the part!

  69. #69cps2009-04-02 18:38

    Komatsu Pc160-7 LGP Found this new machine belongs to a contractor in Scotland it has 1400mm track pads!

  70. #70Sweden2009-06-04 16:04

    Hi, ive seen a machine in Scotland with wider pads. Drumclog plant. That was a Volvo 140 and it looked like an undercarrage from a 210 or something.

  71. #71seanthebogger2009-09-24 16:31

    does anyone know how i can attach pics to this section, cheers

  72. #72stock2009-09-24 17:32

    Sean first the aim is to get 3 posts then wait an hour for your account to be upgraded,so have a nose around check out the support section and all will be revealed.

  73. #73seanthebogger2009-09-26 09:21

    cheers, i will have a look around so.

  74. #74BigIron252009-10-11 17:02

    wow I would say so. who thought to put such wide unsupported pads on there? that cant be good for the undercarriage at all!!!

  75. #75stock2009-10-11 22:04

    Anyone seen or used those new nylon pads,I think there was an article in" Earthmovers " a while back.

  76. #76seanthebogger2009-10-15 04:23

    Stock, that liebherr dozer i have has a set of polypinco pads, i think thats how you spell it. we put them on if were using it for cleaning drains or screw leveling during the winter. they came from somewhere in meath if i can remember correctly.

  77. #77stock2009-10-16 08:44

    If anyone needed a reason to buy the "Earthmovers Magazine" well here is a few pictures taken by Eoghan Daly of a couple excavators. To know anymore have a read.

  78. #78cps2009-10-18 15:43

    Cat 320D Super LGP Found some more pictures of the Cat 320D LGP that stock posted, it is for sale on Mascus. It was Converted by a company here in Ireland, You can see how they cut into the slew trurrent to allow room for the wide pads! Very well done :IMO

  79. #79cps2009-10-18 15:53

    Also found this Zaixs 210 LGP on Europe machinery s web side, i think it has been convertered by the same company as the Cat!

  80. #80Eddiebackblade2009-10-24 06:15

    That set up on them 20 tonners is absolutely inspired, a touch of Irish Engineering at it's best.:thumbsup I've already spoken to JCC about this, having taken a tape measure to the Kubota KX 080. I have already expressed an interest in converting a KX161 5 tonner to a sort of super LGP spec with 1200mm pads and lengthened frames together with the blade removed. However this cutting into the turret has got me all in a spin!:idea I figure that if a couple of slots such as those pictued could be added to a Kx 080 8 tonner turret,then I would be able to get some 1150mm pads on within the maximum transport width. This along with an increse in track length of around 1metre after removing the blade would create a midi super LGP that would complement my other LGP and share all the attachments. What does anyone think about having an adaptor ring with slots 'cast' instead of fabricated? as it wouldn't be a huge undertaking on an 8 tonner. Would it be a stronger way to go?

  81. #81AtlasRob2009-10-24 06:54

    I have to agree. What is more frightening from my point of view is I had seen some of the pictures before and it had not even registered in my tiny little skull that something would have had to have been altered to accomadate those tracks. I can only put it down to overwork and stress. :tong Old age and being stupid dont come into it so dont even start to go there. Hows the training / practice coming on Eddie, got any pics with a dirty bucket yet

  82. #82lee cutting2010-03-13 17:43

    hi eddie i have been watching this thread with interest i have a sk 60 long reach on 1mtr plastic pads this will go where you cant walk what type of work do you want to do we made this in our workshops like your style

  83. #83Eddiebackblade2010-03-14 09:12

    Welcome to you Lee Cutting, Many Thanks for your Kind comments regarding the Kubota, and I'm really pleased with the result. I have a few niggles with Track master pins and a couple of things on the Engcon set up that are really down to a poor design. Hopefully a solution will be forthcoming from JCC Engcon. I can't wait to see a few pics of your SK60 on the Plastic Pads. They are a super strong machine, and I had a quite enjoyable spell on one making a fool of JCB 3CX's back in the day when the Backhoe was King. It would lay 600mm concrete pipes all day long, and a 3CX would struggle to get one off the floor! I have a vision of a super LGP Kubota and Plastic Pads would perhaps be the way forward. I would be interested in your thoughts on them and cost comparisons. As for work, the Kubota was always aimed at being a sort of 'Swiss army Knife' of Environmental work and has already made a real difference in clearance work. It is currently flail mowing Rushes on a very wet site, and I am hoping to line up some Pool and Scrape work. To be honest anything legal that pays! I have had a real good response from the Arb guys, who seem to love hand balling timber about on slopes and generally trying to kill themseves wrapped up in brash with chainsaws. Enter an Engcon and Selector grab and they can reduce the team to just one guy with a Chainsaw and nothing to handle. I assume you are mainly engaged in Ditch/Waterway clearance in your part of the world. To be honest I visited north Norfolk last year and was totally sold on the place. I shall certainly be making another trip over there this year if only to walk along that beach at Holkum? Is it. Fantastic Real ale shop that way as well! Awaiting pics's Eddie

  84. #84cps2010-04-04 10:32

    This thread has been lying low for a while now, so i thought id add a few pitures of a Komatsu PC160-7 with 1400mm pads that i found on a dutch website,

  85. #85cps2010-04-04 10:35

    Well didnt work, anyone else got any??

  86. #86cps2010-04-04 10:58

    Heres a clip of the lgp 160 i was talking about, YouTube - Komatsu PC160 LC-7 1400 mm. rupsplaten

  87. #87cps2010-04-04 11:01

    A few more, hope you enjoy! YouTube - KOMATSU PC160 LC 7 LGP MET 1400 MM RUPSPLATEN YouTube - KOMATSU PC160 LC 7 LGP MET 1400 MM RUPSPLATEN YouTube - KOMATSU PC160 LC 7 LGP MET 1400 MM RUPSPLATEN

  88. #88cps2010-04-04 11:10

    A little volvo EC55b to give Eddie a bit of compettion! And a bad pitcure of a cat 307c with wide pads! View attachment 60478 View attachment 60479

  89. #89Eddiebackblade2010-04-05 06:05

    Hi CPS, couldn't get to open the Volvo EC55 or CAT 307? I have seen a few pics of the EC55 done by JCC who did the Kubota. It was fitted with 1 metre wide pads and had the sprckets and chains uprated to 8 tonner spec. Should be a great tool, but better if they strapped an Engcon to it! The CAT 307 was always on my list, as I like these very much and the Cab is a good size. However it was the tape measure telling me the Kubota would end up a genuine zero tail that moved me off the CAT. I love the 160 Komatsu, and that is something like my Zaxis 160 would have been like had I gone down that route. Very pleased to have gone the Kubota road at present!

  90. #90joispoi2010-04-05 11:06

    I wonder what the engineers say about digging over the side? I've seen slew ring bolts fail. I wonder how the knoched configuration holds up?

  91. #91cps2010-04-07 13:52

    A few clips of LGP excavators! YouTube - ex100 swamp digger YouTube - Foremost Husky 4 Undercarriage YouTube - JCB´s excavate the mud in a pond

  92. #92VolvoEcr145C2011-12-26 12:49

    Where can i buy a machine like this?

  93. #93posthoorn2011-12-26 13:22

    Komatsu PC160-7 LGP with 1400 MM plates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUUIoj4JgY

  94. #94VolvoEcr145C2011-12-26 14:28

    Where can i buy a machine whit tracks like this?

  95. #95posthoorn2011-12-26 16:58

    This machine is made In England at the Komatsu factory. you can buy them at your local komatsu dealer. http://www.komatsu.eu/displayBrochure.ashx?id=74040

  96. #96Plebeian2011-12-26 22:00

    Also Eik Engineering - Singapore and Malaysia. for specialised undercarrages for excavators. www.eikengineering.com

  97. #97VolvoEcr145C2011-12-27 14:37

    I mean a used one... A 160-210 or something

  98. #98posthoorn2011-12-27 14:50

    for used LGP machines i have no idea you have to search on the internet

  99. #99cjplanthire2012-01-06 16:39

    i used to run a fleet of swampies, ex 135s with 17 foot long undercarraiges and 4 foot pads ,same job on zx130 lcn, 10 and 11 bottom rollers, 3 bottom rollers on top as carrier rollers, that cat 312 belongs to a close friend of mine in galway he bought it new, its a 312clgp on a 318 undercarraige, d5d cat chains 318 motors, i had it hired for 2 years from new off him, that was when i had work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  100. #100stock2012-01-07 07:53

    I don't think others here realise how bad things are here in the Emerald Isle's construction sector..................but thebig question is when will we have work again..........

  101. #101cjplanthire2012-01-08 16:00

    turf cutting starts for me april 1st stock, im kept busy i do alot of work for farmers and the forestry, i did depend on roadbuilding and before that "developments" as we shall call them a bit too much but im back where i started and happy to be still going strong!

  102. #102stock2012-01-08 17:47

    Spoke to a long time friend of mine yesterday whom I hadn't met in a while,he has a machine 15 ton less than 5 years old 4000 hrs on it ..............he moved it 4 or 5 times in the last 12 months..............and didn't get paid for one of them jobs

  103. #103cps2012-01-08 20:02

    Hi Stock, Havnt seen you around the forums in a while, hope all is well! Happy new year Aiden

  104. #104Panhandler Bob2012-02-02 13:45

    cleanin tracks Looong handled sharpshooter to clean them U/C's:drinkup Bob aka ZZ

  105. #105rob welshman2012-02-26 16:15

    lgp excavtor Hi guys im currently running to lgp excavators, one a cat 312 c with 1.4m track pads, and ive recently purchased a komatzu pc 160 with 1.4m pads, any one looking for anything give me a call.

  106. #106steved2013-09-29 23:46

    who converts to lgp Hi guys I am looking for a company that converts excavators (approx 20 tonne) to lgp with at least 1200mm wide tracks. I have been told there is a company in Ireland that does it but havent been able to find them anywhere. Any help on who does these conversions would be great. Thanks Steve

  107. #107steved2015-08-10 00:16

    We found a company that widens and lengthens excavator undercarriages: http://www.raywell.com.au/news.html Absolutely fantastic and go almost anywhere