Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LGP vs standard tracks – performance differences?

John Canfield ยท 2010-02-23 09:34

While I realize the LGP track is designed for less ground pressure, I was wondering what the effectiveness of the LGP track is in our environment - we have a small ranch of a 0" to 12" topsoil with mostly soft limestone rock at or various depths below the surface. The rock is mostly very small to some watermelon size (or larger.) Is this a bad environment for wider tracks? The particular dozer I have my eye on is a 19,000 pound Komatsu (no ripper unfortunately) which I think will have plenty of weight to push rock. I want to make a nice path around our fence line by pushing rock out of the way and maybe make a small tank. Thanks for helping out the newbie :notworthy John Texas hill country

Replies4
  1. #1stumpjumper832010-02-23 15:51

    In general, lgp and rock are not a good mix. Lgp's are nice, in fact job savers, when working in very soft conditions. I have done some pasture clearing where I was moving sandstone boulders that were 4'x4' plus. For that I used my deere 450c trackloader, and it did well for me. My advice is to rent a machine like it, or simular machine in size and see how it handles.

  2. #2JimInOz2010-02-23 16:51

    Hi John, The LGP machines are fantastic in swampy areas,but not good as an all round farm tool.Excessive track wear will result on hard ground. I would think your machine is a Jap import.You often find the D21 & D31s used in rental fleets over there.They get sold off at low hours,which may be why your machine shows low hours. A new paint job can be used to tidy up a dozer,or to hide nasty stuff like rust. Check the undercarriage for corrosion,esp. the bolt heads. If you are going to do any excavation,I think a scarifier is needed. The apex track shoes won't give enough grip to dig virgin dirt,or load up the blade.I even wonder how it would pull a rear-mounted scarifier through the clay. Jim

  3. #3John Canfield2010-02-23 17:34

    Hi guys, This particular dozer is a Komatsu D39P-1. I was/am not looking for an LGP or one naked on the rear-end but if the price is right, I might bite and make do with what I get. Trying to find a nice machine with rippers seems to be really difficult in my price range. Our ground here is not all rock fortunately. One primary task of the dozer (other than fence-line clearing) would be to push prickly pear cactus (think you guys down under have pear!) from under the trees out into the open where I can spray with a herbicide. Cheers - John

  4. #4JimInOz2010-02-23 19:39

    John, You might find the dealer is willing to put standard plates on it for you,esp. if he imports undercarriage. We get a lot of ex-Japan apex machines imported here too....the new owners pay good $$$ for a dozer that can only do half the stuff they require. Nothing more frustrating than trying to push dirt & having the dozer sit & spin. The 39 will be OK for pushing light scrub & loose rubbish around,but you could do same with a 580 Case or Bobcat. I used to clean up demolition sites with a Mitsubishi BD2 on apex plates.You couldn't get a nicer finish.It was also excellent in reclaiming boggy ground....would almost walk on water. But as soon as I needed to push a small tree,it was useless. And the undercarriage wear is very costly & regular. Good luck, Jim