Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

License cost new trailer, truck GVW issues

PeterG ยท 2021-10-27 11:50

I'm looking to get a bigger tag equipment trailer. The bigger one I have now is still not big enough. Everyone always says get a bigger one (GVWR), or you're making a big mistake. I was talking to a guy yesterday selling a trailer that was a 48gvwr trailer. He said for how often he uses it, the cost to register it was too much. His truck is a Mack Granite with drop down axle licensed at 56,000 lb which seems a bit low to me. With licensing the trailer, he would need to up the truck to 105,000 or something costing $6000 a year. I have a Kenworth T800 triaxle licensed at 70,000 lbs. if I had a 48GVWR trailer which say has a realistic weight of 8,500 lb, and the truck has a weight of 30,000lb, can't I tow something up to a weight of 31,000 lbs? The trailer and tongue capacity are I'm sure meet the towing capacity. I want to keep my 70,000 gvw. This is in WA State. School me ya all! Also, this is only towing big mini excavators around.

Replies3
  1. #1Deere John2021-10-27 13:11

    He is incorrect, you are correct. You many want to ensure the registration is for GCVWR, cost is the same. Our registrations (in PA) state both separately, GVWR and GCVWR. If someone was picky, not sure its necessary. Trailer seems light at 8500. Our 10 ton tilt deck is 7000.

  2. #2PeterG2021-10-28 11:02

    Thanks. Ok, so if any of you have a two axle 48 GVW equipment trailer, what kind of truck do you pull it with, and what is your truck registered GVW?

  3. #3skyking12021-10-28 15:07

    first of all since you're in Washington State you're going to have to abide by the 34,000 on two axles rule. I have a 20-ton tilt that I tow behind a Ford ln8000, just three axles a 48,000 truck. I dropped my license from 80K to 72K and saved $500 a year. My reasoning is I will never want to haul a load of bedding and the big excavator on the same trip. Realistically I could cut my tonnage down to 66,000 but if there was a little bedding left over on a job I might be sweating it.