G,day everyone thought I might post some pictures of the digger i operate at the Prominent Hill Copper/Gold mine In South Australia.
Very nice.
Nice pictures ....... Where you at the helm when they where taken? Nice Greedy Boards on the 793 (Or should i say Anti-Spill boards ha ha ha)
No.My mate and myself changed over at lunch so i could go passenger in a truck and get some snaps. We call them Hungry boards over here,because the digger operator is always hungry to get that extra bucket on.Fully loaded with dirt spilling everywhere the trucks are barely carrying 200 ton. Cheers.:drinkup
Yep .... Hungry-Greedy boards fitted to 93's here. Two snapped this year and its not over yet. Nice pics again ......
Stellar photos man! IF they were bigger they would make great background photos too:drinkup:notworthy:notworthy:cool2 Thanks for sharing:thumbsup
Saw a extra large Hitachi in Michigan a few years back and it also had the boom cylinders upside down. Whats up with that only on the monster excavators?
next time take some pic of the inside of the cab. cool pic
Well I know O&K put them upside down because the main control valves are on the back of the Boom. Not sure about Liebherr, Maybe hose routing? Having the cylinder barrel on the bottom would make sense though, Less weight to lift.
Found this one for you mate.Heading back to work tomorrow for another two week swing ,will get some more pics and post them when i get back. Cheers:drinkup
cool pic's wish i could get on one of the huge girls
Yer pit floor is lookin a bit rough in the first few pics J/K Sweet pics. Had a 994 around here a few years back with a log grapple attached. Could pick off a full load in one pass.
We had a 994 here for a couple of years, the interior of the cab except for the radios was the same but it was mounted on the left side of the machine so the console and computer screen blocked a lot of view in front of the tracks, a real pain in the neck!. Nice machine to operate though once you got used to it, very quick.
I think that one of the reasons might be because of servicing the packing might be easier in that configuration.I can see that the machine would be a lot cleaner when the seals start weeping and the oil starts drooling down the cylinder and collecting dust. I don't know either but I have often speculated about it the same as you have.Could it be visibility maybe?Ron G
Really nice pics! This excavator is huge, and I once saw the similar size front shovel, which one should be better in this site?
Thiess really love there 996,s, i was going to say that dirt looks real light but i am sure that will change once you hit rock. What is staff turnover like on that site, i know it is pretty remote. Talk is that the R9800 800+ ton backhoe is going to Thiess Mt Owen to match up with the biggest trucks in the Thiess fleet, the EH4500 Hitachi,s and also heard they have been finished up at Liddell
It's always been my understanding that this is a major part of the mounting direction. It's easier to service the packing on the machine like this, plus it keeps dust and dirt from building up on top of the seals and causing premature wear. I had a few people try to tell me that it is due to power issues, they said that the cylinder can develop more power this way. I laugh so hard I almost cry every time I hear that. Then I explain my take on their theory and watch them try to figure out what I just told them. Brian
Wow! What is the weight on that beast? Nice pics :cool2
Well I dont know how it works at your end but .... When a Hoist, stick or croud cylinder goes on the fritz we change them out. No repacking of the crown seals. It would take 3 times as long to repack-reseal than simply swapping them out. I bet the hoist Cylinder on the 996 weigh 10 ton? Ha Ha Ha ....... The cylinder should be mounted Barrel down as this would mean less weight lifted.
I just spoke to Liebherr's workshop manager here, who I have known for many years and is responsible for the maintenance on the machines at Prominent Hill, the boom cylinders are mounted that way purely for the fitting of the hydraulic lines otherwise they would have to have more lines feeding out underneath the machine, so you are on the money, Haul-Pak. The 996 is around 650 tonnes and there is a 9800 coming out that will be around 850 tonnes. Rn'R.
:cool2found a few pics of a 9800! A tidy looking machine
The yellow face shovel is a photoshopped 996, the white backhoe at the factory is the 9800
Busted!
So Big
The cab on the wrong side on that 996 or is there a reason for it being on the right?
They're in austrailia, they drive on the opposite side of the road
fixed...
And it takes a lot of skill to do it but we got bucket loads of that
An Aussie guy told me the toilet water spins the other way? is this true ha ha ha. Iam sure Liebherr would stick the cab on the boom if the price was right.
also holds true for draining bath water... while theoretically yes, practically no as other influences are stronger than the coriolis effect. how good are we down here? just ask us
Why do you say that mate?
If you know 996,s this machine is one and they have photoshopped the 9800 designation on the back and when the pic had come out there were no 9800 face shovels built at that time as the backhoe was just being announced by the factory.
You are 100% correct. I just looked at the photo and said to myself R996 from the Veladero mine site, and didn’t even look at the numbers on the counter weight.
Good post, this is really huge and hope I could try it one day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnzkaCqIO-g&feature=player_detailpage Heres a vid from Prominent Hill,digging copper ore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNreNGILvkM This is the first in cab,im on the camera,trainee on the sticks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgVqOM-s2NE Second in cab view,im on the sticks getting a bit annoyed with a truckie lol.
That looks like fun for about a day then I think i would have to worry about falling asleep. Never have been a fan of loading trucks all day but it would be cool playing with that big iron.
There's something you don't want to see with your machine!!!
nothing a little J.B. weld cann't fix
Liebherr 994/996 really are a POS aren't they ..? Can't hardly find anyone who has to maintain them with a good word to say about them.
I have seen some 245's do that. I imagine it is a much bigger deal on one this size.
Nige, mechanics say that about EVERY machine though......
Oi, I resemble that remark ..........!!
Ouch, where were these pics taken mate?
Replace the end casting in the boom and she'll be good to go ........ only difficulty with that idea is that most likely the casting will be on a 12-month delivery ex-factory. That'll be a Nooooooooo then.
I looked closer at the pictures and have a question. In pic 4, the syick is hanging at an angle, and the bucket is clearly off the ground. It looks like the operator is just bringing it down from its loading bench, where the problem likely occured. Looking at pic 3, there is daylight on BOTH sides of the boom to stick connection. Did it break the rest of the way when it was set down? Pic 2, the close up, only shows one side. With the projected wait for the end casting, wil they park it, or risk a field fix to get some use out of it until the new part comes? Just curious.
That was at Ernest Henry Mine, digging very hard rock. I wasn't there when it happened, not really sure, but I think they fitted a replacement boom. no doubt that one was repaired, probably at Mackay or Adelaide. i got some pics of that machine in happier times... ; )
thank. I am a junior. Can u help me!
Good photos! In Russia there are LIEBHERR excavators. Only the 996th in my opinion isn't present.