Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Liebherr R954C excavator

CAT992G ยท 2008-11-05 15:15

Liebherr R954C, its in the same size class as Cat 345C or Komatsu PC400

Replies17
  1. #1stretch2008-11-05 15:38

    I gotta say, you keep giving us some good pics. :drinkup What do you do as a job that allows you to take so many pics? Do you work for the contractor or for a dealer? :cool2

  2. #2CAT992G2008-11-05 16:19

    Its only a hobby for me, if the weather is good i am on tour and make pics at construction sites or in quarrys here in germany. Another hobby of me is building and collecting models in 1:87 scale.

  3. #3earthworkscc2008-11-05 20:42

    What is the deal with liebherr and all the different colors yellow, white, now orange ?

  4. #4hitch2008-11-06 04:06

    Have the same question, I only see Yello and white color excavator in my area. But to be honest, the orange looks pretty better than the normal Lieb style.

  5. #5CAT992G2008-11-06 04:55

    In this case the Liebherr 954 is special painted for the contractor. They have all machinens painted in orange, also cat, komatsu...

  6. #6CAT992G2008-11-23 08:54

    Liebherr R954C demolition

  7. #7special tool2008-11-23 09:14

    Are these Liebherrs really on par with Cat and Komatsu shovels? I have never operated one.

  8. #8mcc10752008-11-23 11:26

    There is some heavy duty guarding on that machine, both on the cab and the hydraulics.

  9. #9Big Tackle Boy2008-11-23 12:35

    Liebherr will paint your excavator in any colour you like, purple with yellow spots if you really wanted

  10. #10John H2008-11-23 14:35

    I like the guarding on that machine, nice and heavy.

  11. #11Railwayman2008-11-23 14:56

    Good question. One of my shippers runs a large metal-recycling yard using nothing but Liebherr excavators. This struck me as interesting because Liebherr excavators are by no means common here -- I would guess that for every Liebherr I've seen, I've seen about 1,000 Cats, Komatsu, and Deeres. I asked him why and he said in his experience they were much more rugged and maintanence-free than Cat, Komatsu, and Deere. I'm curious; is that others' experience? Is there something unusual about the scrapyard environment that favors Liebherr design? RWM

  12. #12grunk362008-11-23 16:15

    liebherr excavators in this weightclass is the most reliable and powerful machine you will get i have had three liebherr 954B litronic loading dumptrucks and each load on a volvo a35D will take 5passes and about 55 seconds no other excavator in that class can do that and by the way the company i was in got liebherr diggers in white with an blue stribe and logo

  13. #13special tool2008-11-23 18:01

    Thank you for the input. Maybe I sould have phrased thhe question differently. I mean to ask about the BIG picture. I am quite sure that the German machine will have the speed (they are notorious for making super power macho macines that might compromise reliabilty and price for instance ) All things considered: -Purchase price -Cost to run (ESPECIALLY fuel economy for class) -Parts (global) -Speed -Are there any German stereotypical things like ridiculously overengineered cigarette lighter with 2 dedicated relays and 1 fuse??

  14. #14grunk362008-11-24 01:10

    they are a little cheaper to buy than other of the known brands really cheap to run without any suddenly breakdowns (fueleconomy was in my case 740 ltr in 11 hours =67 ltrs pr hour =1.9ltrs pr load =0.067 ltrs pr cubic meter i am not sure about the parts global but here in denmark the network is fantastic one day i blew a hydraulic hose on top of the boom the BIG one and within 4 hours the dealer was there with a new hose faster than any other digger i have tryed in this class not sure what you mean with the last question??

  15. #15special tool2008-11-24 06:36

    Okay then, thanks. Last question is kind of a joke on German machines/cars. They have a tendency to overengineer things to the point that working on them becomes TRUELY insanity.:drinkup

  16. #16Lashlander2008-11-24 15:52

    I got a pretty good chuckle out of this. I've thought the same thing for years. I haven't been around any German Excavators or Dozers but have been around a bunch of their Cranes. Every P&H Crane I ever ran was junk. I just thought that's the way they were until I had to have one of them certified. The inspector was an old P&H factory Rep. He explained to me that they weren't junk. They were the most precise engineered Crane ever made. (at that time) The reason they were junk after a few years was because they were complicated and no one did any maintenance on them. After a while they got run down. I can't argue with him. I've had outrigger problems on our P&H Crane forever. I've spent countless hours trying to fix it. I've flown two different P&H Mechanics in a couple times and they can't fix it. I even replaced the entire electrical harness on it. It helped but not totally fixed. I asked him a bunch of questions about the operations that he didn't know. My arguement to him was, If they are so over engineered that no one can work on them, not even their own mechanics, then their junk from the factory.

  17. #17special tool2008-11-24 18:49

    Yes, that's the thing...you CAN'T argue! You can't shoot them for trying. They over-endevour, but its just TOO much. It is my opinion that the Japanese strive for elegance, maybe over-simplification, thhe German machines, the opposite. Caterpillar has a nice all-around philosophy. Just my opinion.