So I'm replacing the resolvers/valves for the lift and tilt valve group on my 416B (#23 on the diagram, with all its improved o-rings, etc) and to access these little guys with an Allen wrench, it's first necessary to remove the housings with all the stuff circled in red. My question: When re-installing all those little balls and springs and things when I'm putting those housings back together, should they be cleaned and then greased with fresh grease? Or should they be cleaned and left dry because they get their lubrication from the hydraulic oil? They certainly seemed to have grease on them when I took them apart, but I don't know if that was intentional or just greasy scudge that had built-up over the years. Note: The screen-shot is from the bucket lift valve group. The tilt valve group has a different specific parts in there, but the some question applies. And yes, I know the resolvers themselves need to go in clean
I would think the primary purpose of the grease is to hold all of those little detent balls in place. It is a little tricky to do. Best advise is to work in a clean are where you can find them when they pop out during reassembly. And also to have some extras on hand. More than once I have found the detent cup installed upside down. So just pay close attention when you take it apart. And I am not 100% sure on this. I do not think that hydraulic oil is even supposed to get into your circled area. Looks like the spool has a seal. But I could be wrong, been a few months since I have done that job.
That's what I thought too, so I was cleaning the parts and adding a little fresh grease as I was installing them. I really does seem like they had grease on them and not hydraulic oil when they came out. But I wanted an expert to weigh in