Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c hydraulic problem

Doug Brown · 2021-09-04 16:56

My 580 C has had weak hydraulics I resealed the power beond valve it helped on some functions but not all. The loader works fine the hoe bucket and Dipper work fine. The boom will pick up the back of the machine. The problem is the boom won't pick itself back up to the Transport position, and the out riggers have very little power. To raise the back of the machine I have to pick it up with the boom and then put the out riggers down. Any ideas on what to look at next oh ya it has a new pump. Thanks

Replies22
  1. #1stinky642021-09-04 22:28

    Don't know if you've ever consulted the owners manual about the boom transport thing, but at the top of the stroke you need to quickly reverse direction on the boom control and the boom will lock in,same thing applies when trying to unlock the boom, you have to move the boom control to the up position to unlock the boom first then slowly lower the boom while pulling back on the locking lever..It takes a little practice but once you get it, easy to do...I too was a little perplexed when I first got my machine...the stabilizers actually have their own control valve, maybe something you can explore for the issue or maybe you've got fluid bypassing a seal somewhere, cycle your stabs several times "bottoming" them out at the end of the stroke and check for heat, it's a place to start looking...

  2. #2Doug Brown2021-09-04 22:49

    I'll have to look into the stabilizer but the boom won't raise fast enough to in gauge the transport lock. It's slow coming up all the way up. It has plenty of power going down it will pick up the back of the machine. The boom won't raise or is slow

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2021-09-07 14:00

    Hey Doug; check the boom up relief valve pressure, it's the one on the bottom of the boom section. Also do you have any issues with drifting when you stroke a valve or bottom out a function, does another function try to work when you bottom another out?

  4. #4Doug Brown2021-09-07 23:04

    I haven't noticed any drifting I'll check the boom up relief valve this weekend. Thanks for the help

  5. #5Earthmachines2026-03-06 07:09

    Hello everyone hopefully you fixed this problem. I’m experience in something similar on my 580 C. I have no functions at all on my loader and backhoe except for the dipper that moves very very slowly. When I originally bought this backhoe a few years back I went and rebuild the motor. It did not run. The hydraulics worked all season long and this winter I went to use the hydraulics and there’s no hydraulics at first I suspected it was a fluid issue so I changed the fluid fluid put fresh fluid in it. Let the machine run for several minutes two hours to get the fluid movement throughout the system then I thought maybe it was a pump issue so I bought a brand new pump. The same thing applies. Does anybody think it’s a power beyond valve in the main loader?

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2026-03-06 09:18

    If the loader works as it should but the backhoe doesn’t then it could be the power beyond valve. But if both loader and backhoe doesn’t work as they should the I would check the main relief valve in the loader control valve.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2026-03-06 09:56

    How much water was in the hydraulic oil before you changed it and could it have froze and dam something in the valve body?

  8. #8Earthmachines2026-03-06 12:41

    Loader don’t work and backhoe don’t work except for dipper but very slow motion

  9. #9Earthmachines2026-03-06 12:42

    About a quart of water came out of tank on right side opposite of fill side

  10. #10Earthmachines2026-03-06 12:44

    I pulled pressure valve out and cleaned it I’m going to hook everything back up and put a pressure gauge on valve

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2026-03-06 13:08

    Which valve did you remove?

  12. #12Earthmachines2026-03-06 13:41

    I removed one with acorn cap

  13. #13Earthmachines2026-03-06 13:43

    Topped back off with fluid and hooked up gauge I have absolutely no pressure still

  14. #14Earthmachines2026-03-06 13:49

    Actually about 100psi at 1800 rpm Moving spool valve

  15. #15Earthmachines2026-03-06 15:06

    Is there a suction screen on these backhoes if so is it on both in frame tanks

  16. #16Earthmachines2026-03-07 07:05

    @Coy Lancaster do you think maybe my supply hoses have restrictions in there especially the bottom of tank where they connect cause I can’t understand why they would just stop working , also same symptoms after changing hydraulic pump,filter and fluid

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2026-03-07 08:52

    Sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday. There are no suction screens in the hydraulic tanks. Remove the front cover to gain access to hydraulic pump and start machine and loosen pressure line to see if pump is actually working. If it is then remove loader control valve and disassemble main relief valve it is a two part valve as per the photos.

  18. #18HarleyHappy2026-03-07 08:53

    Though it’s low pressure, I would consider taking a hose off the oil cooler and seeing what flow you have there.

  19. #19stinky642026-03-07 09:13

    How about the pump coupler? Did you replace coupler or use old one when replacing pump? Oil cooler is for the shuttle.

  20. #20Coy Lancaster2026-03-07 09:56

    I was gonna ask that but didn’t

  21. #21Earthmachines2026-03-07 13:39

    Problem solved thank you all for your time and support! It was the main relief valve was stuck internal poppet had to tap out with brass drift ! Cleaned and put back together works like a champ

  22. #22Earthmachines2026-03-07 13:40

    No Problem appreciate all your help!