Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Liftpump testing on cummins isx

Mobilewrench ยท 2023-10-19 22:00

Anyone know how to test the performance of the electric lift pump on an isx? I see the test port on the high pressure pump, but kind of think that just tests the high pressure pump. I do not have the esn right now, I apologize. Truck rolled into my work yard this morning and I cannot get it to misbehave even though the owner said he barely made it there. I had heard that it died on him on the road a couple of weeks ago so I figured I would hear from him. Apparently he changed the filters and had a hard time getting it to prime. But then it ran fine for a week. What I found, pulled a 227 code. But I think that is a stored code not active, because there us not a check engine light. Iirc that code is high voltage in the 5 volt vref circuit. Found the secondary fuel filter a bit loose. I could spin it by hand almost half a turn. That could be the whole problem right there. But I cannot open road test it (let that cdl lapse about 15 years ago). So I just want to check some basics tomorrow. He is supposed to drop off new filters tomorrow so I plan on dissecting the primary and making sure that the fuel pick up is clear. I did check all of the fuel line connections and everything thing was tight, single tank so it can't be the dual tank leveler. And, this truck had a minor fire last year. All the fuel suction lines were replaced and most of the return lines as well. So I doubt it is a disintegrating fuel line. One thing, the owner is a bit of a phone diva. The entire time I was checking basics he was on the phone with people. At one point (and I didn't even register at the time) he told someone on the phone that the fuel returning to the tank is always dark. You may not be able to tell, but I wrote that last paragraph a few minutes ago. And I find it disturbing. Why would fuel returning to tank be dark? Disintegrating fuel line? Soot from a combustion chamber? That last might indicate a failed injector sleeve/cup. I don't know. I may be over thinking it. Any ideas are appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1heymccall2023-10-19 22:22

    My '07 W900 ISX runs the fuel so hot that you can't touch the fuel tanks at the end of the day. With that said, the frame mounted filter always gets a black film inside. Had to use asphaltene treatment (Cummins sells it). Clears it up for a good while, until I stop treating, then it comes back.

  2. #2Truck Shop2023-10-19 22:30

    Have never had a lift pump go bad-slow on prime yes, high pressure go bad yes. Some were changed out under warranty because slow to prime. And yes ISX creates hot return fuel. What type of pre filter? PacCar 037-1006 something? those will pull air around the clear plastic cover if O-ring isn't just right.

  3. #3Mobilewrench2023-10-23 17:32

    Found these in the bottom of the fuel tank. Weird. Some sort of check valve i believe. I cant figure where one would be in the tank let alone 2.

  4. #4Mobilewrench2023-10-23 17:35

    This one was right behind the valve on the feed side of the tank where it was exactly the right size for the little blue flap to get sucked shut and block flow.

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-10-23 17:49

    Interesting-never seen those.

  6. #6Vetech632023-10-23 18:07

    The best place to hide extra parts after a repair is the fuel tank LOL

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-10-23 18:42

    Yes-the mafia called it cement shoes-they also called the guys who did the jobs mechanics.

  8. #8Mobilewrench2023-10-23 20:38

    To me they look a bit like this

  9. #9Mobilewrench2023-10-23 20:43

    That is a 6.0 or 7.3 fuel tank screen. Upside down of course. On the valves above the little check caps seem to fit into the side branch, the tube connection is pretty obvious and the last branch is internally threaded. (Umbrella branch on this one) I've never seen anything like it on a tractor before. Let alone twice.

  10. #10Truck Shop2023-10-23 20:55

    Same here--VIN # and year please.

  11. #11cfherrman2023-10-23 21:21

    1 is from the first time it failed, and the 2nd is now

  12. #12Mobilewrench2023-10-24 17:53

    1NPFL40X64D811234 Believe it's an 03

  13. #13Truck Shop2023-10-24 19:23

    Thanks.