Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

light bars on a civilian truck

caterpillar72 ยท 2010-01-01 04:46

your opinions on a light bar on a truck would it be illegal? or is it OK to have it on a civilian truck this is the light bar i have looked at http://www.truckntow.com/pc-11190-147127-star-interceptor-wrecker-bars.aspx thanks for your opinions/help

Replies7
  1. #1bill onthehill2010-01-01 07:48

    As far as I know it is legal as long as you only use amber color. To use red you need to be a cop or fire chief. Blue if you are a firefighter or fire police. That is Pa. regs. last i knew. you would need to check your states rules.

  2. #2rustyjames2010-01-01 11:14

    like everything in NJ, a light bar requires a permit.

  3. #3xcavator1202010-01-01 12:18

    Kansas, amber lights are ok. Most all emergency vehicles run the combo lights of red-blue. If it's ok in Oregon, just be aware of if you have them on. There's nothing more frustrating to traffic, and looks down right silly, to have a vehicle going down the highway with the light(s) flashing. Our foreman (superintendents) have the mag-mount light. My foreman will turn the thing on, and leave it on. I've seen him leave the work site with it going, and even driving into work, he'll have the thing on. I guess it's a pet-peeve of mine after being a cop for so long, those lights/lightbars get real annoying.

  4. #4monster truck2010-01-01 13:32

    An idiot light in the cab is a must with a light bar. I had an LED light bar on my 06 Pete and you would not believe the amount of times I left that stupid thing on. It can be pretty embarresing when you realize you have been driving empty for an hour with the lights on.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2010-01-01 16:16

    Laws on the use of warning lights vary from state to state. I'd do s search on your state's V&T laws, they are probably posted on line somewhere and look there. Any advice given from someone in another state may not apply to you.

  6. #6Deerehauler2010-01-03 16:44

    In Nebraska you are supposed to have headlights on if you are oversize, so when the lights are on that is my reminder that my strobe beacons are on. When I am empty I shut off the headlights and the strobes. I may try to rig up an indicator light for the strobes someday, but so far I have been OK.

  7. #7Arabhacks2010-01-13 23:57

    Lights. Hello. I think that lightbars are dumb, but I have been written up for not using the damn thing :tong In Texas, operating in a construction zone they are expected, along with strobe in the corner lights and the like. The company vehicles, even the pickups, had at least strobes. But, equipment did not, go figure. :beatsme The worst would be the wheel loader and the bobcat, quite a few accidents, some fatal. But what do I know.