Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“Working” 5 speed

DwainG ยท 2009-12-30 17:45

I haven't heard this term in years. Was recently asked what that means, and I can't answer. Help me please! Is that the one with 3-4-1 back (on the shifter) and 2-5-R forward? Who made them, NP? Is 5th direct or overdrive?

Replies3
  1. #1carogator2009-12-30 21:21

    63 years old 43 years on the road and in the mines- never heard of it

  2. #2LonestarCobra2009-12-31 20:35

    My old 84' Top Kick service truck had a "Working 5th Gear" or whatever we called it. I dont recall the pattern, but you shifted 4L then 5L then 4H then 5H, instead if splitting it normally. It enables you to downshift a whole gear with out moving the shifter. It was the only one we had that would run over 53 MPH. Been 17 years since I got the pleasure of herding that thing down the road.

  3. #3Oldiron2010-01-14 23:56

    If fifth is up and 3rd is beside 4th its an overdrive I believe spicer,eaton,clark and a few others made transmissions like this there was also a 5 speed with a "short 4th" usually coupled to a 2 speed axle the 2 speed split the bottom 3 gears then from 3 hi to 4 lo to 5 lo to 4hi to 5hi, the top 2 in the trans split the axle usually a "gas pot" :drinkup