Was wondering if any one is running a T300 Kenworth or a 335 Peterbuilt tandem dump? Is the 285-330hp sufficent for pulling a 20 ton tag with a 120 sized excavator? Thanks.
It all depends how fast you want to pull it. I've never used either of those trucks, but I used to pull 135,000lbs w/ a 237hp Mack. I have a 270hp L10 cummins now, it'll never outrun my 427 Mack, but it'll cheerfully handle anything road legal. Hp is mostly about how fast you can get the work done, not what you can do.
330hp is probably the minimum amount you would want to comfortably pull this type of gear, you will find the engine is always under load working hard to keep it in the torque band. but hey, if you can use your gears and keep her chuggin along, you will save a ****load of fuel compared to a C15 or equivalent..